Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Describe your feelings about gold farming?

• 624 posts
    December 13, 2019 12:06 PM PST

Tedious

For those that wish to spend days/weeks/months of game time plowing/sowing/reaping gold from mobs in order to buy an UberLute or SuperShawm - have at it. I prefer to gather my friends to go see if we can get lucky and loot one instead. If the camp is constantly contested, the RNG hates us, or we simply out level the content, just move on and enjoy the next challenge.

Everyone has their own definition of fun - for some that includes farming. I'll pass.

This post was edited by Kumu at December 13, 2019 12:07 PM PST
    • 1315 posts
    December 13, 2019 2:28 PM PST

Inflation

• 3237 posts
    December 13, 2019 2:31 PM PST

Triggered.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 13, 2019 3:08 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 13, 2019 2:46 PM PST

Maybe Im misinterpretting? My idea of gold farming is playing the game and saving what I make on loot/sales for upgrades when applicable. Not "China". If you mean "China" then Im all the way out.

• 3237 posts
    December 13, 2019 3:03 PM PST

Gold-Farming is widely recognized as synonymous with RMT in the MMO industry, and yes, approximately 80% of that occurs in China.  Many folks will likely assume that the point of this thread is to discuss RMT due to the title, and have their mind made up on what word they want to use before ever clicking on the thread.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 13, 2019 3:10 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    December 13, 2019 3:46 PM PST

Inevitable 

• December 13, 2019 6:08 PM PST
    Snooze. I just faced down a lich in the forbidden forest. Why would I spend any time farming gold to buy ... What would I buy anyway? The lich dropped this cool warhammer, so what is gold going to get me again? Nothing cooler than that. Speaking of, I think instead of counting some metal discs, I'm gonna go knock about that green ogre in the frozen cave with this warhammer.
    • 114 posts
    December 13, 2019 6:22 PM PST

I killed FP Militia for their helms, I needed/wanted the Paladin/Cleric faction, and sold the fine steel weapons for cash.  Turned around and traded said 9k for an item upgrade a fellow class player no longer needed/retired.  Otherwise never really had the need.  When I did have a need to farm gold for myself I hit up the Giants like everyone else.  What was that zone near the innothule swamp ... South Ro?

• 66 posts
    December 13, 2019 8:40 PM PST

Giants

• 220 posts
    December 14, 2019 10:40 PM PST

Gold Farming ask descibed by Kilsin is legit.

Selling it for RMT...... Kilsin you know what to do.

• 184 posts
    December 14, 2019 10:48 PM PST

Annoyance.....

• 238 posts
    December 15, 2019 5:02 AM PST

Exciting

MMOs are all about farming something in one aspect or another. Whether or not that be experience required for leveling, a dungeon or raid for gear, materials to level up professions, or items/materials to sell for money in order to make a big purchase. 

The only stipulation that I would make is, that in order for money farming to be exciting, there needs to be an end goal (aka something to spend that money on). 

The other thing that I would say is that multi-boxing can make money farming an extremely hellish (for lack of a better word) experience for solo players depending on how nodes (mining, herbs, fishing, mobs... etc)and rng are designed, as well as, also driving down market prices on global AH systems. I am in no way rejecting or advocating the multi-box style of gameplay, however, in terms of the economy and solo player opportunity careful testing and balancing need to be implemented for a stabilized market economy and a quality player experience. 

This post was edited by Baldur at December 15, 2019 5:03 AM PST
    • 145 posts
    December 15, 2019 12:39 PM PST
    Unnecessary I just play the game without going out of the way to farm items. I still get money just not as much as those who do farm but I’d rather be poor playing how I want then being rich doing something that is a chore for me.
    • 49 posts
    December 17, 2019 5:20 AM PST
    Gameplay.

Seriously I dont understand why RPG players dont like it. It's been a staple of RPG gameplay since their inception. Every new town in Final Fantasy 1 had a new set of super expensive weapons which, guess what, required you to roam the surrounding hills fighting the new monsters which dropped a far higher rate of money than the previous tier. It was not feasible to purchase the new equipment on the previous tier income, and the gameplay of fighting the new monsters was enriched by the slow acquisition of their loot.

Unsure what gameplay would be substituted if gold farming is gutted.
    • 49 posts
    December 17, 2019 5:39 AM PST

FlushingToiletScreamingShower said: Snooze. I just faced down a lich in the forbidden forest. Why would I spend any time farming gold to buy ... What would I buy anyway? The lich dropped this cool warhammer, so what is gold going to get me again? Nothing cooler than that. Speaking of, I think instead of counting some metal discs, I'm gonna go knock about that green ogre in the frozen cave with this warhammer.

"What would I buy anyway," seems a symptom from modern games. Why wouldnt there be viable and exciting equipment and/or gameplay enabling items available for currency?

As for the Liches Warhammer, what if the game cant handle players getting a warhammer everytime they kill a forest monster? The question is why would it be bad to divide that warhammer up into discreet chunks, aka currency?

• 1785 posts
    December 17, 2019 9:14 AM PST

Tedious.

I'm with Kumu here.

I would like to think that we've advanced beyond the point where we need people out in the Ocean of Tears killing cyclopses for jewelry drops so that they can then go buy a new spell or piece of armor.  While that certainly encouraged cyclops population control, it was ridiculously boring and unimaginative.

I would much rather see people obtaining money by:

1) Doing things that matter in the context world - perhaps from completing a dynamically generated quest or task for some local NPCs such as hunting down a bounty or helping repair a guard tower.

2) Finding treasures on their adventures - perhaps very rarely a treasure chest spawns randomly in a dungeon, or a boss or named mob might drop a treasure map leading to some buried riches.

3) Participating in the economy.  Did you know that wolf teeth of a certain size can be used to make a minor magical charm to ward off curses?  Instead of dumping those on a vendor you can probably make more from selling them to a crafter (who presumably has the money to pay you from something that he's been doing).

Simply put - let's make earning money a bit more interesting than just killing the same things over and over for their drops.  Wolf teeth notwithstanding.

• 1584 posts
    December 17, 2019 9:39 AM PST

Nephele said:

Simply put - let's make earning money a bit more interesting than just killing the same things over and over for their drops.  Wolf teeth notwithstanding.

You understand this is simply impossible to do, as that is exactly how you make money in an mmorpg.  people are simply going to find out what they can solo with ease and at max level that would probably be a ton of things, than they find out what seems to give good money and than continue to farm it til they reach a desired effect and probably still do it after that so it never becomes a problem again.  This always happens and their is simply nothing people can do about it, nor should they put in some artifical boundary to prevent it.

• 1785 posts
    December 17, 2019 9:45 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Nephele said:

You understand this is simply impossible to do, as that is exactly how you make money in an mmorpg.  people are simply going to find out what they can solo with ease and at max level that would probably be a ton of things, than they find out what seems to give good money and than continue to farm it til they reach a desired effect and probably still do it after that so it never becomes a problem again.  This always happens and their is simply nothing people can do about it, nor should they put in some artifical boundary to prevent it.

I am not sure what MMORPGs you have played in the past, but I think that your experience, and thus your viewpoint, is a bit limited.  You are correct that people will generally look for the path of least resistance, but from game to game that path can differ tremendously, and the developers have much more control over it than you are implying.

• 1584 posts
    December 17, 2019 10:10 AM PST

Nephele said:

Riahuf22 said:

Nephele said:

I am not sure what MMORPGs you have played in the past, but I think that your experience, and thus your viewpoint, is a bit limited.  You are correct that people will generally look for the path of least resistance, but from game to game that path can differ tremendously, and the developers have much more control over it than you are implying.

I mean not really, all mobs drop loot/coin, some mobs drop more than others, some are harder than others, find the mobs that you can easily kill that give good money=gold farming, thinking the devs are trying to find a solution to prevent gold farming would be the day you can defy math, which is impossible.

• 1785 posts
    December 17, 2019 10:50 AM PST

Riahuf22 said: 

I mean not really, all mobs drop loot/coin, some mobs drop more than others, some are harder than others, find the mobs that you can easily kill that give good money=gold farming, thinking the devs are trying to find a solution to prevent gold farming would be the day you can defy math, which is impossible.

Since you know exactly what the developers are intending with Pantheon and how it will play out, are there any other tips you'd like to share?  Maybe you could tell the rest of us which classes will be best to play for our preferred playstyles or give us some guides on how to get our primal glyphs or artifacts after launch?

While you're at it, got any good stock tips?  Or maybe winning lottery numbers for this week?  Those would be awesome.

Seriously man.  I know you believe what you're saying, but you're simply incorrect.  There have been many different approaches to earning money in games over the past 20 years, and not all of them revolved around endlessly killing and looting things.  This aspect of MMORPGs is not as set in stone as you seem to believe, and the development team for Pantheon has the ability to do things differently if they decide to.  As to what they decide to do in the end, that's up to them.  Personally, I hope that they make a choice that results in more fun and engaging gameplay for all of us.

Good talk though.

This post was edited by Nephele at December 17, 2019 10:51 AM PST
    • 1315 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:05 AM PST

In different threads we have talked about different ways to make gold farming/general resource collecting more dynamic and less grindy.

1. Only humanoids and found chests have coin drops and then not much (where is that bear keeping his 10 silver).

2. Have NPCs have buying limits so that they will only pay full price for an item if they have less than 10 in stock then a lower percentage for every 10 after that. That way you need to spread out the trash drops rather than dump them all on one vendor or collect a wide variety of items. Consider a stack of a stackable items as one item in this example.

3. Have money generation be more of a function of crafting and crafting writs. Crafters turn bulk farmed resources into good to fill crafting writs. The crafters get cash for the writs. Crafters then pay adventurers for farmed materials that they will need for their next writ.

A mix of these or all of them together would make for a much more dynamic gold farming experience and would be easier to control both inflation and prevent “Chinese Goldfarmers” from making simple bots to just kill stuff and flood the market with cash.

This post was edited by Trasak at December 17, 2019 11:05 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:16 AM PST

Nephele said:

Riahuf22 said: 

Since you know exactly what the developers are intending with Pantheon and how it will play out, are there any other tips you'd like to share?  Maybe you could tell the rest of us which classes will be best to play for our preferred playstyles or give us some guides on how to get our primal glyphs or artifacts after launch?

While you're at it, got any good stock tips?  Or maybe winning lottery numbers for this week?  Those would be awesome.

Seriously man.  I know you believe what you're saying, but you're simply incorrect.  There have been many different approaches to earning money in games over the past 20 years, and not all of them revolved around endlessly killing and looting things.  This aspect of MMORPGs is not as set in stone as you seem to believe, and the development team for Pantheon has the ability to do things differently if they decide to.  As to what they decide to do in the end, that's up to them.  Personally, I hope that they make a choice that results in more fun and engaging gameplay for all of us.

Good talk though.

Really? in WoW you have gatherers, which only go around and gather things and sell it in AH's, than you have your Old Raid Farmers that wipe Old raids at a very fast rate and collect everything and sell whats sellable.  it all comes down to simply doing the same thing over and over agina and reaping the rewards for your efforts.  And it basically goes back to what i said, granted the gathering didn't require killing mobs, but it still requires preforming the same actions and eventually "routes" they will run to collect the most efficent materials they are looking for and than selling them to the highest bidder or AH.  It's all the same and you can't really escape it unless you get rid of nodes/mobs, or set in some artifical barrier of high levels in skill or level to prevent farming low end materials/mobs which shouldn't be a thing.

And i see you keep saying they have found ways to prevent such things from happening but actually havent said any of them.

• 1428 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:27 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Really? in WoW you have gatherers, which only go around and gather things and sell it in AH's, than you have your Old Raid Farmers that wipe Old raids at a very fast rate and collect everything and sell whats sellable.  it all comes down to simply doing the same thing over and over agina and reaping the rewards for your efforts.  And it basically goes back to what i said, granted the gathering didn't require killing mobs, but it still requires preforming the same actions and eventually "routes" they will run to collect the most efficent materials they are looking for and than selling them to the highest bidder or AH.  It's all the same and you can't really escape it unless you get rid of nodes/mobs, or set in some artifical barrier of high levels in skill or level to prevent farming low end materials/mobs which shouldn't be a thing.

And i see you keep saying they have found ways to prevent such things from happening but actually havent said any of them.

i think that'll be harder to do in pantheon.  they could essentially lock high level players with the acclimation system if they wanted.  meaning one must have cold weather gear or toxic weather gear etc etc.  hell you can even make where players debuff levels in zones if you wanted.

• 1584 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:39 AM PST

stellarmind said:

Riahuf22 said:

i think that'll be harder to do in pantheon.  they could essentially lock high level players with the acclimation system if they wanted.  meaning one must have cold weather gear or toxic weather gear etc etc.  hell you can even make where players debuff levels in zones if you wanted.

This litterally made no sense to me, nor should high level players get punished for being high level, and debuffing a player for walking into a low level zone is honestly pretty dumb too, in my opinion anyway.

"Hey you were level 50 but since you zoned into this zone you instantly nerfed yourself to lvl 15 have a nice day but don't forget if you zone back over you'll be 50 again."

Oh and since all Ciities are essentially "safe areas" everyone is lvl 1."

This post was edited by Cealtric at December 17, 2019 11:44 AM PST
    • 1428 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:44 AM PST

Riahuf22 said: 

This litterally made no sense to me, nor should high level players get punished for being high level, and debuffing a player for walking into a low level zone is honestly pretty dumb too, in my opinion anyway.

"Hey you were level 50 but since you zoned into this zone you instantly nerfed yourself to lvl 15 have a nice day but don't forget if you zone back over you'll be 50 again so have a nice day."

Oh and since all Ciities are essentially "safe areas" everyone is lvl 1."

hm.. say for example you want to farm sulfiric gloom herbs in a toxic zone that is level 30.  as a level 50 i can still go into the zone, but i would need toxic accclimation gear to really get to where i want to go to farm them.  if my acclimation isn't high enough, i'd die from poisoning.  so there's a soft requirement of having gear.  they can also scale down to level 40 so the mobs still easy but not trivial.

it's a way to prevent higher level players from monopolizing zones with high demand stuff.  well i don't really care it's gonna be more of an issue for pve players lol.