Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Marathon Playing - Antisocial Menace or Who Cares? It's Fine!

• 64 posts
    July 16, 2019 3:40 PM PDT

Folks claiming long respawn mobs can be camped 1 hour at a time, and killed if they just so happen to be up, clearly have no idea what it's like to complete contested content like that. Those mobs die within seconds of spawning, sometimes so quickly they don't even rendor on clients before being dead. If you aren't sitting there the instant they spawn, you won't be seeing it.

Old school EQ1 VT clears used to take hours (8+) due to trash mob respawn. If your guild didn't clear the whole thing, they would be stuck coming back and reclearing hours of trash to get back to wherever they left off. Marathon VT clears were very common in early Luclin...I was part of many.

In games like Ark, breeding and raising powerful baby dinosaurs required the player to feed them every few minutes or hours for up to a week. There were many cases of players sleeping for 2 hours at a time for days on end to get these dinosaurs.

So yes, there are plenty of examples of content where marathon sessions are required. Hopefully they don't make their way into Pantheon. 

This post was edited by nscheffel at July 16, 2019 3:40 PM PDT
    • 228 posts
    July 17, 2019 8:16 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Not to argue with you here 1AD7, but he made this topic because of  QoL topic that came up, and I agree that if  there is a 12 hour respawn you don't just sit there, unless your simply just guessing and hoping lol.  But on the QoL topic people were trying to avocate making dungeons 16 to 20 hours long in itself to get to a mob, but I could be wrong as he clearly stated something different but I do know what was mentioned in the QoL topic might of influenced this topic to some degree.

I may well have been the one you refer to, and I took a lot of well-deserved flack for it. What I wrote was a poor representation of what I was trying to say, so let me try again. But before I do, I want to make it clear that I don't see myself as one of those hardcore players capable of winning ultra-rare items. My experience with the genre stems from EQ2 and Vanguard, and I have always preferred so-called casual guilds. Typically, I would play 2-5 hours at a time, but my fondest memories are from marathon sessions where our endurance and tenacity were tested to the limit before we finally achieved what we set out to do. Those were truly proud moments, and we thought we fully deserved the nice but not extremely rare rewards we got out of it, although there was nothing particularly difficult about it. Most of the time we were waiting for respawns, but we passed the time by cracking jokes and bonding in general. It was taxing, but not boring.

The point-of-view I was trying to convey in that crazy QoL thread was that invested effort, including time spent, should increase your notoriously slim chances of winning the rarest of items. Probably to such an extent that playing a couple of hours for perhaps five days a week would make it unrealistic to get them. Luck can be factor, and it should be, but playing more should increase your chances proportionally. It's all very fine to say that skill and knowledge should suffice, but let's be honest, if every skillful player is entitled to something, that something will soon cease to be ultra-rare and ultra-precious. Exactly how the extra time should be spent I have no strong feelings about.

@Chanus (OP): I have no problems with the deepest of dungeons (for lack of a better word) being designed with safe spots along the way to make it possible to complete them in sessions of 1-2 hours, or whatever. But I don't know how realistic it would be to keep a group together and have everybody come back day after day? And I think easy group member replacement everywhere would take too much away from the monumental challenges I want such dungeons to offer. It doesn't seem right if you can routinely get summoned to a place that it would normally take many hours of fighting and other perils to get to.

I also don't think it's reasonable to demand that no such content with proportional rewards exist, just because most players cannot invest the time realistically required. Of course, everybody must be able to progress to max level and have an interesting journey winning many precious and character-defining rewards, but that's not ruled out by there being something in the game that few can hope to overcome and be propotionally rewarded for.

[ducks for cover]

This post was edited by Jabir at July 17, 2019 8:19 AM PDT
    • 297 posts
    July 17, 2019 8:53 AM PDT

I would have less objection to such things if the rewards were prestige-based and not utility-based.

A title or an item skin or a cool mount or something is fine. A BiS item that will be deemed requisite in order to fit in with the best groups and raid guilds should not only be determined by whether or not you have the ability to sit at your computer for hours on end without interruption.

• 228 posts
    July 18, 2019 3:09 AM PDT

Chanus said:

I would have less objection to such things if the rewards were prestige-based and not utility-based.

A title or an item skin or a cool mount or something is fine. A BiS item that will be deemed requisite in order to fit in with the best groups and raid guilds should not only be determined by whether or not you have the ability to sit at your computer for hours on end without interruption.

I suppose it's up to each guild what is required for a membership, and if they were to make such requirements, chances are they would regularly require more than a couple of hours of playing from you anyway.

But I could settle for rewards that were more prestigious than powerful.

This post was edited by Jabir at July 18, 2019 3:09 AM PDT
    • 297 posts
    July 18, 2019 4:36 AM PDT

Jabir said:

Chanus said:

I suppose it's up to each guild what is required for a membership, and if they were to make such requirements, chances are they would regularly require more than a couple of hours of playing from you anyway.

But I could settle for rewards that were more prestigious than powerful.

Well, yeah, everyone has the right to decide for themselves what they will require in a group or guild. I just bristle at things becoming "normal" to be required that aren't accessible by most players. It breeds a kind of elitism I see a lot in online games that don't have good outcomes for the community feel.