Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What are your biggest reasons?

• 139 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:33 AM PST

I think I like MMORPGs because I can practice my spacial awareness. I've kind of got bored of practicing spatial awareness in shooters and theme park MMORPGs. I want a world. 

• 206 posts
    March 4, 2019 12:42 PM PST

I enjoy the fact that online games(mostly mmo's) can have a community where people are thriving. Leveling. Growning. Its nice to feel like you're apart of something sometimes. 

• 73 posts
    March 4, 2019 1:37 PM PST
    Mostly to play with friends and family, who are all around North America... We all enjoy the fantasy genre and its a lot of fun to live in a world where we can all get together and go on an adventure, explore, quest, fight and conquer. Creating an avatar of who you want to be is exciting and imaginative!
    • 3 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:02 PM PST

When I get a cool new item I want to be able to show it off to friends!

• 168 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:37 PM PST

Kilsin said:

What are some of the biggest reasons you play online games over any others? #MMORPG #communitymatters

I enjoy simply being around others, lots of others. I tend to be closer to folks in my guild (my in-game family) then I am to my RL family. Working as a team weather in a group or a raid really gives me a sense of satisfaction even if we are ultimately unsuccessful on any given night. Even my solo farming for mats is likely as not to help a guildy out with their craft or me crafting them items. As a note though, osmosis works just fine for me, I don't need to always be interacting with those others every minute of the day, being around them is generally enough for me.

• 12 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:26 PM PST

The reason I play RPG's is because of the immersion and the ability to lose yourself in it.  The ability to detach from the stress of everyday life and become your character is a pretty awesome aspect.  MMO's come in because not only are you in this new world, you now have a whole collection of other people that can form a community around you.  A single player game has limited replayability and the variables can become stale and limited.  In a living breathing fantasy world controlled by other people, there will always be that sense of randomness to keep things fresh.  How many people have been in a group and their healer or tank went link dead in the middle?  That isn't something you can experience by yourself when you can control everything, the reliance on others to achieve great things is a staple of the MMORPG.

• 668 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:12 PM PST
    I like the feeling that I can have real player interaction if needed. The other thing an MMO does is create a dynamic environment which I always love. It makes it possible to play with friends or meet new people, and contesting game content is exciting. Lastly, if I choose to sit down somewhere and chil, in an MMO, it is still possible to see other real players running around.
    • 3852 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:00 PM PST

I used to play single player games and think of MMOs as just something to dabble in - but now I can hardly get myself to play one - it has been years.

Let me toss in some heresy - I play them for the multiplayer aspect - the socialization - as most of us do - but to me chatting means more than grouping. 

If I spend a day talking in world or zone chat and talking to guildmates and talking to other crafters - well that is what *makes* it a multiplayer game. Grouping is a bonus and not one I consider as important.

Yes I am an old timer too. Pong on a console when it first came out, and Datestones of Rhyn and Temple of Apshai on one of the first Apple II machines. I believe those were the very first CRPGs ever sold commercially on more than a very local basis. Yes Colossal Caves and Adventure and the like are older but I am drawing a distinction between CRPGs and adventure games. Not that I didn't play the adventure games too - there *were* no CRPGs in the days before the floppy was invented and we played on tape recorders with no way to save progress in the game.

This post was edited by dorotea at March 4, 2019 8:02 PM PST
    • 99 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:35 PM PST

I would like to be part of a crew i can support like Star Trek the Next Generation but unfortunatly i could not play mmos in the last few years anymore because theyre more like Teletubbies :).

• 303 posts
    March 4, 2019 9:32 PM PST

just wanna body scrubs tbh

• 390 posts
    March 4, 2019 11:15 PM PST

i like the feel of open world. No train tracks. The game feels alive when you have a good community. 

MMO's are what i imagined when i played pencil and paper AD&D. i want a world with a Lot of options at every level. 

• 209 posts
    March 5, 2019 9:35 AM PST

Being part of a larger community of adventurers, and also the depth and breadth of the game world, which is usually not rivaled in single-player games.

• 2752 posts
    March 5, 2019 9:40 AM PST

The human element. When I can play with/against other humans a game's longevity and value per dollar spent increases dramatically. 

• March 5, 2019 2:30 PM PST

For me, MMOs are a social opportunity that I can dip in and out of. Some days I can be quiet and solo while still listening to the chatter in open channels, while other days I will dive right in for several hours of camaraderie and mayhem and wipes.

From the first days of EverQuest, I was thrilled to be a part of something bigger than my own backyard, my own wee world... getting to know people around the world and making some of the best friends of my lifetime!

;-)#

Brasse

• 41 posts
    March 5, 2019 6:27 PM PST

Like Caine and lutorin I also played Pen and Paper D&D but started EQ after my father started playing because it was a way to play "D&D" every day and see what I'd always pictured in my head. In fact, I ended also buying the Pen and Paper EQ D&D game also. Can't wait to see what Pantheon brings!

• 1247 posts
    March 5, 2019 10:38 PM PST

Brasse said:

From the first days of EverQuest, I was thrilled to be a part of something bigger than my own backyard, my own wee world... getting to know people around the world and making some of the best friends of my lifetime!

;-)#

Brasse

Let’s bring that experience back!

• 454 posts
    March 6, 2019 9:01 PM PST

I’ve been around since Pong also. UO was my first mmorpg. I play mmorpgs for comraderie, vast areas to explore, phat loot and dwarven babes.  Mostly for the social aspect.  I made a great friend in EQ, we called it our chat room with great graphics.  I’ve met people from all over the world because of mmos.  What fun!

• 370 posts
    March 6, 2019 9:04 PM PST

I have trouble getting into games like Skyrim because at the end of the day they feel lonely. Online games, even if you play solo, have a community and people going about their lives doing other things. It helps fill the world.

• 38 posts
    March 7, 2019 12:45 AM PST

Biggest reasons? oh boy... 

In no particular order

1. Lore - I love an intriguing lore/backstory in my video games. So much so I will always look for books/comic/movie tie-ins that expand on it. I will read in-game books to find out what that type of leaf is and what happened to that wizard that ate too many of them. 

2. Social aspect - Like the majority here I am always happy to meet and chat with new people, some of my best friends were once strangers after all.

3. Continuity - I love having a time sync, the more I can play a game helps me justify the money I spent on it. The idea of a constantly expanding game and world that can be replayed with a different character giving a different experience due to class/race/faction/alignment is always appealing. 

• 1714 posts
    March 7, 2019 3:15 AM PST

Riqq said:

I'm a loser

I have less than 5 friends

Fewer than.

• 8 posts
    March 7, 2019 8:07 AM PST

Everquest ruined games for me.  Just the feeling of hitting max level and knowing there is still stuff to do on the same character made it feel very real to me. Being in a virtual world with over a 1000 of people with all different personalities and making online connections was a win for me.  I have not been able to look at single player games the same way.  Thanks alot Brad...   

• 37 posts
    March 11, 2019 2:53 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What are some of the biggest reasons you play online games over any others? #MMORPG #communitymatters

because of that chaotic organic unqiue gaming experience , people running around ,interacting with each other and sometime band up together to the deepest we can go,

or sometime just hanging out at the zone in at  Karthoc castle with other players was an unique experience also

• 37 posts
    March 11, 2019 2:56 AM PDT

henrycc265 said:

Kilsin said:

because of that chaotic organic unqiue gaming experience , people running around ,interacting with each other and sometime band up together to the deepest we can go,

or sometime just hanging out at the zone in at  Karthoc castle with other players was an unique experience also

yes for 13 years i still dont get it why people would prefer world of warcraft or other mmo , modern mmo are so reatarded and generic which is sickening .....considering how much billions of in app purchase those developers have been earning on mobile i am not surprised what the retardation has human race become