Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class switching on one character?

• 207 posts
    May 9, 2017 9:51 AM PDT

Hey guys, I've search for this topic and didn't see anything related tonthis question. I was wondering if class switching would be in this game, and if not would that be something you may consider adding? I'm the type of person who likes to do everything on one character, and I don't have much love for creating alts but I do enjoy leveling multiple classes. I feel like this would be a nice feature to add without sacrificing any ideals of the game. Any feedback, pro's and cons?

• 2130 posts
    May 9, 2017 9:53 AM PDT

It will definitely not be in the game. Completely goes against the vision set forth by the devs. They explicitly encourage alts.

I'm personally an altoholic so it just happens to play to my favor.

• 207 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:15 AM PDT

How does it go completely against the vision set fourth by the devs? I've been following this game a long while and have seen nothing stating that. Not asking to be able to play every class on one race, but for the ability to be able to play all classes available to a particular race on the same character. There's still incentive to create alts since every race cannot play everything excluding humans. Can place limits on how many classes one may max on one character such as having to choose 1 or 2 classes to truly specialize in. And switching it up would require to relearn those specializations again... Just throwing that out there.

• 110 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:23 AM PDT

Are you talking a system based like it is in FFXIV?  While I do like that system I personally hope that is not something that is implemented in this game.  Sure its nice to be able to play all classes on one character but it kind of goes against the core elements of this game.  At least in my point of view, and I say that because race is a major factor in what classes a character can be.  So having said that in my own opinion I don't think that is something that would be implemented, but obviously a dev would know better then I would.

• 44 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

Because they're looking to foster community and class identity. They emphasize choices having consequences. You're not going to able to switch on a whim to another job, your character and class are who you are.

I love FF11 myself and like that system but it's just not going to be here,

• 207 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:34 AM PDT

guitarsmasher said:

Are you talking a system based like it is in FFXIV?  While I do like that system I personally hope that is not something that is implemented in this game.  Sure its nice to be able to play all classes on one character but it kind of goes against the core elements of this game.  At least in my point of view, and I say that because race is a major factor in what classes a character can be.  So having said that in my own opinion I don't think that is something that would be implemented, but obviously a dev would know better then I would.

Yes and no. More like it's predecessor ffxi which was basically a clone of eq. Early ffxi before the cap was raised beyond 75 you could level every job in the game on one character but just because you could didn't mean you should. The grind alone and staying properly geared deteterred most people from leveling more than 2-3 jobs to the max level and with the implementation of the merit system you had to choose which few jobs you really wanted to specialize in. Add to that very clear racial differences in stats, by the time you were at endgame you basically had to decide exactly what you wanted to do and to follow a path.

Definitely don't want what I saw in ffxiv, where you could level everything and didn't have to really specialize in anything. That pissed me off lmao

Also I definetly don't want to see all classes playable on one character!!! Just what classes are available to whatever particular race you choose!!

This post was edited by Grimix at May 9, 2017 10:41 AM PDT
    • 103 posts
    May 9, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

Id love it if they did that here! IMO its not against the "tenets" since it will likely be a grind heavy open world game. Any "story" (good or bad) will just be a linear repetition with every other toon so why not? Most gear wont bind but those that do can include class. So long as you have to level every class from 1 same as before, youre not really missing much or taking anything away from the games overall vision.

Only downside is unlike FF MMO's, Pantheon has race restrictions, so some would be more limited than others (ha! Silly Ogres!). Then again that can also be a good thing to encouraging actual alts (unless youre a filthy priviledged human).

That ship probably sailed though. Plus it comes with its own drawbacks like high demand for more inventory space, and more data to save periodically on the server.

• 338 posts
    May 9, 2017 11:08 AM PDT

The devs have mentioned a system where you retire your character and level up a new progeny that would have some bonuses based on your previous character.

I think that's about as close as Pantheon will come to this.

Not sure how much I'd use a system like this but some people might like it... I hope it's not required to min max a character to be honest.

Thanks,

Kiz~

• 3237 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:28 PM PDT
    One major issue with something like this is that humans would be able to play triple the classes of ogres. Specialization within a class is cool ... multiple classes on one character, though? Doubt we will see that in Pantheon.
    • 81 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:42 PM PDT

oneADseven said: One major issue with something like this is that humans would be able to play triple the classes of ogres. Specialization within a class is cool ... multiple classes on one character, though? Doubt we will see that in Pantheon.

Just like oneADseven said, as far as what you are looking for, the best you might can hope for in Pantheon for a single character is class specializations/talents that you could allow you to customize/modify your class and playstyle to some degree.  

As oneADseven also pointed out, even if this wasn't an idea/concept that kind of goes against the core tenets VR has laid out for the game, it just wouldn't make sense or be fair since different races have access to different classes and different numbers of classes at that.

Just plan on making a few alts and having fun playing those too.  :)

• 1281 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:45 PM PDT

I really doubt Pantheon will ever allow you to change classes. That's the point of having an alt character.

• 261 posts
    May 9, 2017 1:09 PM PDT

You would start seeing more questions asked from players recruiting for a group.

Looking at level 35 warrior wearing all cloth armor... Hmmm so how long have you played a warrior...

Oh I just changed from a 35 ench this morning. I am sure I know all the in's and out's to tanking I have watched others.. Where are my spells.. I am sure I must have spells... :)

Personally, not a fan of this idea, sounds more RIFT like when 1 char can be every class in it's class sphere. I like playing a char from 1 to whatever..

• 1860 posts
    May 9, 2017 1:15 PM PDT

This is, in a very general sense, what the progeny system will allow you to do.  Switch classes and retain some small benefit from the previous play through if you so choose.  Though you will have to relevel, like the OP mentioned.   There are responses that aren't taking into consideration the releveling process.

The OP mentioned releveling.  It seems strange that there are multiple responses that say this won't be in game when we know otherwise.  The progeny system sounds like exactly what the OP is asking for.

This post was edited by philo at May 9, 2017 1:26 PM PDT
    • 207 posts
    May 9, 2017 1:39 PM PDT

Boulda said:

You would start seeing more questions asked from players recruiting for a group.

Looking at level 35 warrior wearing all cloth armor... Hmmm so how long have you played a warrior...

Oh I just changed from a 35 ench this morning. I am sure I know all the in's and out's to tanking I have watched others.. Where are my spells.. I am sure I must have spells... :)

Personally, not a fan of this idea, sounds more RIFT like when 1 char can be every class in it's class sphere. I like playing a char from 1 to whatever..

Well....you would had to have already leveled the class in the first place...not a since you are lvl 35 in one class you can immediately be 35 in another thing...that wouldn't make sense.... essentially the class would have it's own level and exp when you are equipped for that class. So while you could have a lol 50 wizard, if you wanted to turn around and do say enchanter, you start from level 1. But if you get to lvl 20 and decide enchanter isn't for you and you want wizard again, you still have your 50 to go back to on the same character (assuming race allowances)

And again, I'm not proposing changing the race specific classes in any way, shape, or form. Also I don't see how races such as humans have an unfair advantage with this system. Even though humans can currently play as whatever class they want, who is going to be able to devote the necessary resources to gear each job and be able to manage the amount of inventory needed? 

In my opinion...it makes sense, in real life if I want to change career I go to school or training, get appropriate certifications, and find an entry level position in a new field. I retain my experience from my previous field as a fall back, but I must learn the new field from the basics on, if I'm good enough I can use both fields to my advantage but anymore and I'm stressed out. Or I choose to stick with 1 field and ride it on through. 

But I guess I will just have to live with making alts until I figure out which class fits me best. 

• 1860 posts
    May 9, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

To clarify Grim, the progeny system will allow your character to start over as another class...but it won't be like the example you just gave.  You will only have the option to change to a new class once you reach max level as far as we know at the current time.

• 207 posts
    May 9, 2017 1:50 PM PDT

philo said:

To clarify Grim, the progeny system will allow your character to start over as another class...but it won't be like the example you just gave.  You will only have the option to change to a new class once you reach max level as far as we know at the current time.

Ahh I forgot about that...my idea might not work with this system then. I guess I have to wait and see just what exactly this system is... 

• 1778 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:23 PM PDT

FFXI vet here. Around the time of the Kickstarter I had asked about this too. Was basically told probably not, and as time went by it was clear that it wasnt in the cards. The progeny thing is the biggest argument against it.

Also I usually had to explain it a lot as people not familiar with XI jumped to conclusions about how the system worked (as you had to explain earlier).

The biggest argument for it is REPUTATION!. Reputation is supposed to be very important, and if everyone only had one character, then no matter what they would know you.

So I could be Amsai the Bard or Amsai the Rogue or even Amsai the Paladin. But in all cases Im still Amsai, for better or worse. With alts it gets a bit muddier. Not that there arent ways to fix that. But it would but just saying reputation mattered a lot in XI as well and a big part of that was the Job class system.

So I would say dont expect it though. The devs seem to have a pretty clear idea about this and seem to want to include Progeny and Alts as a thing. But I do agree Id still rather do all on 1 character and build my rep and my skills and my adventures on that one character. Never really liked alts............... its like cheating......

• 119 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:27 PM PDT

it's just not the same if i could switch classes. for me, that takes away the characters identity. the mere suggestion is unbelieveable to me, but that's probably because i've never played a game that allows it. i even dislike options to reskill. you decide something and live with it. or restart.

• 1860 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:39 PM PDT

letsdance said:

that's probably because i've never played a game that allows it.

That is the reason why so many others seemed to respond with confusion, misunderstanding and negativity in the progeny threads.  I find most people don't have a lot of experience with a similar system.  I have played 2 games witth a similar system and I have to say I really like it.  If you are like me and tend to run out of content, it is a fantastic way to extend the content.  I am really looking word to learning more details about how the system will work in Pantheon.

Character creation and progeny system details are the two things I would like to see most in a stream.  I'm not much of a "graphics guy".

• 119 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:27 PM PDT

if i run out of content i start again with a different character... i prefer that over class switching anytime.

• 9115 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

We have made it pretty clear via our FAQ and Pantheon Difference statements that we will be a traditional one class/one role kind of game with deep class interdependence, you will not be able to do it all on one character in Pantheon, you will need help or to create alts. :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at May 9, 2017 10:40 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    May 9, 2017 4:12 PM PDT

letsdance said:

if i run out of content i start again with a different character... i prefer that over class switching anytime.

Hopefully the incentives are enough to at least make you consider restarting instead of just rolling an alt...whether you decide to actually go through with it or not.

Personally, I usually have 1  primary alt...when I run out of content with my main and my alt I end up taking a break from the game until the next expansion.  This type of system...progeny in this case, extends that by making it much less likely that I feel the need to stop playing.  I really appreciate having these type of systems In games.

This post was edited by philo at May 9, 2017 4:12 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    May 9, 2017 9:59 PM PDT

Grimix said:

How does it go completely against the vision set fourth by the devs?

As per the game's tenets...

A requirement that classes have identities. No single player should be able to do everything on their own.

Kilsin backs this up with his statement as well. And various devs have mentioned that a single character will not be able to perform multiple roles thus not allowing a single character to play multiple classes.

I personally love this. I like MMOs with clearcut pre-defined classes as well as clearcut roles.

• 1584 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:55 PM PDT

Kayo said:

Id love it if they did that here! IMO its not against the "tenets" since it will likely be a grind heavy open world game. Any "story" (good or bad) will just be a linear repetition with every other toon so why not? Most gear wont bind but those that do can include class. So long as you have to level every class from 1 same as before, youre not really missing much or taking anything away from the games overall vision.

Only downside is unlike FF MMO's, Pantheon has race restrictions, so some would be more limited than others (ha! Silly Ogres!). Then again that can also be a good thing to encouraging actual alts (unless youre a filthy priviledged human).

That ship probably sailed though. Plus it comes with its own drawbacks like high demand for more inventory space, and more data to save periodically on the server.

I just don't see this becoming a thing in Pantheon, it just seems to artifical to me, if you can be a warrior a next with no spells and than bam be a cleric and be an ultimate healing maching and than bam be a wizard nuking like crazy and going awesome dps, i mean it sounds good in all on some games i guess but i just don't see it having a place in Pantheon becuase it seems like a very lazy way of making alts.

• 27 posts
    May 10, 2017 1:07 AM PDT

For me the old everquest was not just a game, it was a world simulation. Things needed to make sense. A character class just represents years of education, training, that sort of things. Switching all that in an instant may sound nice at first, but it will totally "gamify" the world. I want real consequences for your decisions, a world that is unforgiving and harsh so that it will feel "real".