creating social accountability?!?

This topic has been closed.
    • 1303 posts
    April 28, 2017 3:44 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Feyshtey said:

vjek said:

IMHO:

If you want to expand the target demographic beyond the niche, you're better off designing and implementing mechanics that don't permit toxic behavior and/or don't encourage toxic behavior.

The entire notion of real time GM intervention to prevent toxic behavior is laughable, given operational realities.  Just don't permit the toxic behavior in the first place! :)

Wholly disagree. A game that is so battened down that it's impossible to be disruptive is not a game I'd personally like to play. I want freedom. One simple examples is that  I want to help random people who are about to die and have the possibility available for someone to do the same for me. If you make the game ******-proof, you would have to kill that possibility by design. 

On the topic of a rating system, please no. Please. No. Please. It is ripe for abuse any way I've ever heard presented. 

"impossible to be disruptive"   What does that actually mean?   Trolling..abusive behavior...stalking, harrassing?  What's your definition?

You mentioned people deliberately training your group. I would consider that an example of being disruptive, abusive, harrassing... It's entirely possible to make a game that it's it cant happen in. WoW did it by making mobs ignore anyone but the person that agro'd them as they run over anyone else, and ignore anyone as the mob goes home. They included leashes too, so that the mob will only chase the original agro target for a given distance before wandering home, ignoring everyone on the way. EQ2 did that, and they locked the encounter so that no one else could engage for killstealing, or aid. And it feels completely false to me. 

• 1303 posts
    April 28, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Feyshtey said:

vjek said:

IMHO:

If you want to expand the target demographic beyond the niche, you're better off designing and implementing mechanics that don't permit toxic behavior and/or don't encourage toxic behavior.

The entire notion of real time GM intervention to prevent toxic behavior is laughable, given operational realities.  Just don't permit the toxic behavior in the first place! :)

Wholly disagree. A game that is so battened down that it's impossible to be disruptive is not a game I'd personally like to play. I want freedom. One simple examples is that  I want to help random people who are about to die and have the possibility available for someone to do the same for me. If you make the game ******-proof, you would have to kill that possibility by design. 

On the topic of a rating system, please no. Please. No. Please. It is ripe for abuse any way I've ever heard presented. 

"impossible to be disruptive"   What does that actually mean?   Trolling..abusive behavior...stalking, harrassing?  What's your definition?

You mentioned people deliberately training your group. I would consider that an example of being disruptive, abusive, harrassing... It's entirely possible to make a game that this cant happen in. WoW did it by making mobs ignore anyone but the person that agro'd them as they run over anyone else, and ignore anyone as the mob goes home. They included leashes too, so that the mob will only chase the original agro target for a given distance before wandering home, ignoring everyone on the way. EQ2 did that, and they locked the encounter so that no one else could engage for killstealing, or aid. And it feels completely false to me. 

• 1618 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:35 PM PDT

They have repeatedly stated that they will not have a player rating system in Pantheon.

• 839 posts
    April 28, 2017 8:01 PM PDT

Word of mouth is the way, its up to each of us to be proactive in not only standing against griefers but also spreading the word at the appropriate time.  If your in a group and a known griefer is asking to join then be the person to stand up and explain why you think this person will be bad for the group or why they may in fact deserve not to  get the spot over someone else looking. 

it will work if the ethical players are proactive and speak out and inform others of wrong doings.  The follow on effect may not be instant but over time it will start to effect the griefers capacity to play the game completely and in a social manner (which they will need to eventually if they want to progress)

• 61 posts
    April 29, 2017 1:50 AM PDT

Funny tho, we cant rate each other in game but we rate plenty of things in real life.

Rate a restaurant, rate an UBER driver. Rate a movie/book etc!!

Basically there is a LOT of things that are rated out there that affect people in ways that actually matter to them.

I do have to say after writing this that i can see why and i do understand the potential abuse.

Yet i think it should be an option. Maybe not so much for down vote but maybe to upvote someone or a several players with whom you have played to let other knows they are awesome! Why punish the bad when you can be positive and rewards good behavior?

People with lots of upvote can/could get access to social store with dance moves, and stuff like particle effects, dyes etc.

When people see other players with neat titles or fancy particule effects or anything that will make other reach for the "cookie" then maybe you will change potential bad behavior.

So instead of looking at negative social accountability, look at it from a positive side.

This post was edited by Senadin at April 29, 2017 1:52 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 29, 2017 5:06 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

They have repeatedly stated that they will not have a player rating system in Pantheon.

This is correct, multiple threads on this topic exist, some have already been closed after an official answer has been given and I will have to do the same with this one, please try and use the search function for keywords to locate already active topics as more often than not you will find that your question has already been discussed and answered over the last few years of development. :)

We will have multiple methods in place and work with our community to stamp out poor behaviour, social accountability will be big in Pantheon compared to other games as your reputation will matter, nothing makes it harder to play our game than people that won;t let you into their group for being a punk to them over and over again. We will step in officially when needed to stop serious issues and have other things in place to help govern and track these behaviours.