Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gaming Keyboards and Gaming Mice: Evil?

• 2886 posts
    April 25, 2017 6:22 PM PDT

Manouk said:

My gaming keyboard lights up. I have seen those mouses they seem way too complicated.

I am a sucker for LEDs. My whole rig lights up - keyboard, mouse, computer tower, etc. 

The Naga mouse definitely takes a while to get used to. But when it becomes an extension of your body, it's like a whole new world.

• 1618 posts
    April 25, 2017 6:29 PM PDT

For my daughter's B-day, I am getting her one of those changing rainbow LED keyboards, mouse, and headset. Her new computer must have similar LEDs. 

• 441 posts
    April 25, 2017 7:22 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

For my daughter's B-day, I am getting her one of those changing rainbow LED keyboards, mouse, and headset. Her new computer must have similar LEDs. 

My new Naga mouse dose that, it's awesome. 

• 159 posts
    April 26, 2017 2:27 AM PDT

There's nothing wrong with gaming keyboards or mice by themselves. I use a Logitech gaming mouse for the thumb buttons because it's much easier for me to use skills from there than taking my fingers off the movement keys to hit the number keys. As for macros, they're not exclusive to gaming peripherals - you can get software to record and playback macros easily. Banning that would require some sort of process scanner to identify the macro software and flag the account, it would add development costs and probably a performance hit on the game. Plus, it's always a cat & mouse game where macroers find ways to defeat the countermeasures and developers have to find new ones.

IMHO the response to macros should be to make them inefficient. The more combat and other actions are context-sensitive, the harder it becomes to automate them efficiently. A much bigger issue than macros is actually changing in-game values such as hit points, mana, movement speed, etc. I've seen it done in big games and ruin them, both because it can be hard to detect and because the devs didn't respond appropriately with permanent bans for any use of these cheats.

• 57 posts
    April 26, 2017 5:46 AM PDT

I thought it was interesting that my last game Star Wars: The Old Republic, had Razor build them a gaming keyboard and mouse that incorporated macro abilities into the devices. But the stance from Bioware was if you used them to automate more then one action per click ment a ban from the game (24h, 72h, 1 week & finally permant). I know in the original EverQuest, I believe you had the ability to write your own macros into the game to cast certain spells in order (buffing was where I used mine since I was a Shaman). I'm old fashion, I use standard keyboards and two button mice and just can't get into using keyboards and mice with all these added keys to do my abilities.

I remember back in the day of on-line combat flight simulaters on the microsoft gaming zone, where people with macro joysticks (thrustmaster for example) could program them and gave a huge advantage over cheaper joysticks players. It was always a pleasure to beat the pants off those players but it sure as hell was hard to do. Its like todays game consules compared to yester years. I prefer my Nintendo NES to my x-box one because I just can't get use to all the extra buttons I suppose.

• 441 posts
    April 26, 2017 8:59 AM PDT

There is also the side of the disabled. VR is making it so many disabled people wont be able to play Pantheon, this no macro stance makes this game unplayable for many. I played with a guy in WoW that had one arm and most of the game was set up with macros so he could play as main healer for the guild. Also someone close to me has extreme arthritis. She uses macros to lower the number of times she needs to click. As using a mouse over an extended period can hurt, constant clicking becomes unbearable. Many peoples first reaction is, well don’t play but sometimes the joys of things like hobbies are the little things that make life worth living.  

• 80 posts
    April 26, 2017 5:47 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

It is impossible to ban gaming peripherals, people will use macros on keyboards and mice to automate things but if it shows up as an unmanageable repeated action (in other words, the accuracy, timing and length of doing that process is inhuman) it may be caught by our detection system and deemed cheating and dealt with, so it is to be used as your own risk as it is very unlikely that a ban will be overturned if you try and say I used a G15 keyboard to harvest or crafter etc.

We don't support automated anything ;)

What about automated buckt O water summoing to dump on random devs heads?

• 93 posts
    April 26, 2017 11:05 PM PDT

Gosh, I use a G15 for my gaming. I enjoy the gameplay with it much more than a standard keyboard and mouse.  I do not use it to create macroes to automate anything I do, it just thow whole layout and feel of it.  Doing movement with my thumb while then being able to use abilities with standard key presses allows me to stay focused on the screen and be more immersed with what I'm doing.  Can't stand clicking away with a mouse pointer anymore.

• 1468 posts
    April 26, 2017 11:13 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

There is also the side of the disabled. VR is making it so many disabled people wont be able to play Pantheon, this no macro stance makes this game unplayable for many. I played with a guy in WoW that had one arm and most of the game was set up with macros so he could play as main healer for the guild. Also someone close to me has extreme arthritis. She uses macros to lower the number of times she needs to click. As using a mouse over an extended period can hurt, constant clicking becomes unbearable. Many peoples first reaction is, well don’t play but sometimes the joys of things like hobbies are the little things that make life worth living.  

As someone who is disabled myself I have nothing but sympathy for people who use macros to make a game worth playing but at the same time allowing macros opens the game up to potential abuse which should be stopped at all costs. Luckily my disability doesn't prevent me from playing a game in a normal way but I know for a fact a lot of disabled people played EQ just fine and that had a very rudimentary macro system that was designed to prevent abuse. Pantheon will probably have a system similar to that which should be just fine.

• 441 posts
    April 27, 2017 5:15 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Nanfoodle said:

As someone who is disabled myself I have nothing but sympathy for people who use macros to make a game worth playing but at the same time allowing macros opens the game up to potential abuse which should be stopped at all costs. Luckily my disability doesn't prevent me from playing a game in a normal way but I know for a fact a lot of disabled people played EQ just fine and that had a very rudimentary macro system that was designed to prevent abuse. Pantheon will probably have a system similar to that which should be just fine.

That would be fine if they did but Pantheon will have no in game macro system. Not for stringing a few skills into one macro anyways. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at April 27, 2017 5:32 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    April 27, 2017 5:25 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

Cromulent said:

Nanfoodle said:

That would be fine if they did but Pantheon will have no in game macro system. 

They wont? source on this info?

I was under the impression they was going with a system akin to the hotkeys used in EQ1...

/stand

/cast 4, pause 5

/group Inc heal to %t

not sure if that is what you mean by in game macro

• 441 posts
    April 27, 2017 5:41 AM PDT

Sevens said:

Nanfoodle said:

Cromulent said:

Nanfoodle said:

That would be fine if they did but Pantheon will have no in game macro system. 

They wont? source on this info?

I was under the impression they was going with a system akin to the hotkeys used in EQ1...

/stand

/cast 4, pause 5

/group Inc heal to %t

not sure if that is what you mean by in game macro

WoW let you put up to 2-3 skills in one macro. So you could lower the number of clicks you needed to make. Like one that let you cast an insta cast shield on someone and your shortest cast time heal. So when someone was about to die, you could save their life. For most this is just a convenience thing. For someone with severe arthritis its the difference between being able to play or only being able to play for 30 before the pain is unbearable. For the person I know who has very bad arthritis they would use their gaming mouse macros to stop repetitive clicks. Like Scorch on their mage would give a buff that increased damage and the budd stacked I think 4 times. Then end it with Nova Blast a big DPSer. So they would macro the 5 clicks into one click. In a raid this is the thing she would do most often. After making it a macro she went from not being able to raid to being able to play for 2-3 hours. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at April 27, 2017 5:43 AM PDT