Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How much of a Harvester are you?

• 1584 posts
    April 24, 2017 10:42 AM PDT

I love harvesting i still harvest or farm mats for guildies in EQ to this day as i play on EQ Blue Diamonds are selling for like 2 k a pop but i sell to my guildies 500pp a pop basically just doulding my money than i would selling to a vendor but also selling to guildies at 1/4 the cost to themselves if they aren't farming them, and i sell to my friends at 250pp a pop which is barely better than selling to a vendor.  i know it might seem like a lot to a point but Blue diamonds aren't an easy resource to acquire unless you get a fast killing group and farm PoHate which i do all the time

• 2752 posts
    April 24, 2017 11:03 AM PDT

I enjoy harvesting quite a bit, it's nice to take a break from the slaying and put on a podcast or watch some Netflix while grinding out mats for crafting. 

• 18 posts
    April 24, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

I enjoy harvesting myself, especially if I am levelling a character for the first time or I am low on in game cash. That being said one I reach higher levels and have built up some in game currency in many cases I prefer to buy havested materials off other players to help support the in game economy and spread around some of the wealth. Usually if it comes to guildies if I have the crafting materials and they are not crazy rare then I just give it to them for free.

• 81 posts
    April 24, 2017 12:23 PM PDT

I enjoy harvesting myself.

As many others have stated I usually find it peaceful/relaxing and is a nice activity/alternate to grouping/raiding/questing if you don't want to think too hard or can't commit your full attention to the game for an extended period of time, but still want to feel like you're being productive with your time in game.

As a few others have stated, I am OCD and if I see anything that is harvestable, whether I really need it or not, I cannot resist harvesting it.

Also as someone else stated, the only real issue I've ever had with harvesting was in WoW specifically where you had bots programmed to do nothing but go around harvesting nodes.  There was no real way to effectively compete with them and it was quite frustrating.

Along those same lines, I like to know there are enough nodes (not necessarily an overabundance) around so that I'm not wandering all over the place looking for a needle in a haystack so to say.  That is unless the material/node I am looking for is suppose to be rare, in which case I'm ok with having to put some time/effort in before I find what i'm looking for.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind if someone else did the work for me either.  : )

• 209 posts
    April 24, 2017 1:05 PM PDT

I like doing everything from scratch, so I've always harvested my own mats. And its always fun to find a rare or special node in an out-of-the-way area.

• 2 posts
    April 24, 2017 1:19 PM PDT

Can be fun to harvest atleast in the start of the game, but whould be fun to see how your system will be like.

Hard to pass a gathering opportunity;D

• 21 posts
    April 24, 2017 1:21 PM PDT

Generally ignore crafting - it has to be worthwhile to pursue. If it does not help my main character, I wont do it. If I had the ability to craft better gear compared to what you can find out in the world, essentially be able to reengineer an item I would certainly do it. If a crafting system has no real meaning to the end user, I do not even bother picking up materials or resources.

Issue with modern MMOs is the fact a player cannot create a peice of gear that is worthy of being equipped, especially later in the game. Players who are more combat oriented will never touch crafting if that is the case. Look at WoW for example; crafted armor and weapons are useless to someone who is mid tiered in that current expansion. A game like SWG; where players literally crafted the best armor and weapons you could find; made me get into crafting in order to create high end items for my main character to use AND through crafting great items, brought in repeat customers and notoriety within my server. 

This post was edited by Baid321 at April 24, 2017 1:39 PM PDT
    • 189 posts
    April 24, 2017 1:33 PM PDT
    I harvest quite a bit in most MMO's that I have played. I am not able to ever run from point A to B without stopping to harvest somthing, whether its clicking to forage or seeing something shiney I can't resist.

What I do with the harvested items is another story..
    • 542 posts
    April 24, 2017 2:25 PM PDT

There are times that I can enjoy harvesting a little
    Might like it even more if there was a greater purpose to everything you harvest
    Things that speak to the imagination
    Like feeding psychedelic mushrooms to squirrel to gain a squirrel pet <3

-Harvester of souls riawrrrr

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 24, 2017 2:25 PM PDT
    • 208 posts
    April 24, 2017 2:37 PM PDT

I like harvesting my own items unless it is too much of a time sink/trivial harvest.  I would rather pay another player who could get skill ups off the harvesting that I am looking for if it is trivial to me.  I enjoy the harvesting but it all depends on what craft skills I am pursuing.  Of course there are those players that all they do is harvest resources for the money.  I am not opposed to that IF there are enough nodes/resource spawn points that still allow other players to harvest if they are trying to skill up themselves.   I guess the harvesting depends on the difficult/level of harvesting and if I will get any kind of xp/benefit from doing it myself versus having/paying someone else do it. 

• 145 posts
    April 24, 2017 2:40 PM PDT

I was never the harvesting type until I played Vanguard. Fell in love with it. I leveled my warrior just to be able to harvest certain areas. Early on in the game I was supplying some of my servers top crafters with harvesting materials. I was their pipeline. It made me feel important when I didn't have the countless hours a day to spend level racing. It was definitely relaxing and something productive to do while you waited for a group to form, or if you only had a limited time to play that particular day. I think it has become a vital part of a successful game. Especially when it's intertwined with crafting and high end gear. And as someone posted above it is nice when there is sufficient amount of nodes to go around and you don't have to fight for them or worry about someone snatching up your resources.

• 542 posts
    April 24, 2017 3:11 PM PDT

The whole cycle to harvesting is just as interesting 

You could use the plant to feed pets or use the asparagus as ingredient for a provision recipe,options open up .And might it have a positive effect on economy?

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 24, 2017 3:11 PM PDT
    • 294 posts
    April 24, 2017 4:05 PM PDT

I'm a harvesting junkie.

Biggest issue about harvesting for me is never enough bag space.

• 1468 posts
    April 24, 2017 4:08 PM PDT

Klumpedge said:

I'm a harvesting junkie.

Biggest issue about harvesting for me is never enough bag space.

Yeah I always run out of bag space as well. In fact I had so much junk on my characters that all their inventory slots were full as well as their bank so I had to create alts just to store extra stuff.

• 1618 posts
    April 24, 2017 6:49 PM PDT

Buying a few extra pledges for bank space. 

• 26 posts
    April 24, 2017 9:51 PM PDT

It depends on my mood.  There are times when I get 'lost' in harvesting....die a lot when I do that, but it is what it is.  Then there are times when I pi$$ and moan about it.  Go figure.  :)

• 72 posts
    April 24, 2017 9:51 PM PDT

If my addiction to mining diamonds in Minecraft has taught me anything, I love me some harvesting.  The chance of finding that ultra rare ore or that elusive high-saught herb always keeps me going.  That and I love to be self sufficent whenever possible. 

• 9115 posts
    April 24, 2017 10:28 PM PDT

Just quietly, I love harvesting too, there is something therapeutic about it :)

• 6 posts
    April 25, 2017 1:22 AM PDT

Sorry if all you are looking for is a simple answer but here is my take on Harvesting.

I have been known to spend hours harvesting on a whim or at need. It can be enjoyable. I remember something in one of the early streams about fishing. Do we maybe have some sort of fishing mini game to look forward to?

1. Rare Harvests

-Used to make special items and or spells??.

-they can make harvesting feel very rewarding.

-Rarity is key but balancing said rarity is the crux, a skill based system with rolls seems like a good way to do this possibly. If you meet a certain skill check, then you get a chance to attempt for a roll at a rare resource. like a Three check system, check to see if you have the required skill, then if so roll, Then if the roll is high enough say 990-1000 then do a reduced probability roll for a chance to get said rare material maybe 1 out of 10 chance. If a player is above that skill then there should be some dynamic variable that slightly increases the probability of getting a rare item from that tier.

2. Resource Storage

I realize the point of this game is to keep with the old ways, but I think some people who find themselves harvest often would agree that space is an issue quite often.

With that in mind, a special harvesting resource inventory would help keep things organized and maybe (just a guess) open up some options database wise on the back end of things. The same could be done for quest only items possibly?

Sorry if all the Underline and Bolding are confusing. I was trying something new to facilitate skimming. Reply if you like it and let me know.

• 24 posts
    April 25, 2017 8:58 AM PDT

I always enjoyed havesting, espeically a la EQ2 classic where you had VERY rare resouces.  Should be less and more realistic nodes though (ore by rocks, trees cut down, etc) which it looks like ya'll have implimented anyway.  ALSO BRINIG BACK THE CLICKIES!  the collection quests in a few MMOS (again eq2 reference here) was very entertaining.  

Boils down to havesting people can make a good chunk of change selling to crafters, who in turn make a good chunk of change selling to other players.  Win Win.  Though everything does tend to get saturated after a while.  Maybe putting in expiration/decay dates of 48hours or so on harvests will help.  

• 6 posts
    April 25, 2017 3:25 PM PDT

I've always hated harvesting.  It was a necessary evil in order to craft something, because crafters were A) not to be trusted and B) completly jacked on prices because the economy allowed them to do so, so not doing your own tradeskills wasn't worthwhile because the economy of money wasn't worthwhile the time investment in one way or another.  I did it, but I hated it.

• 19 posts
    April 25, 2017 5:14 PM PDT

I don't always craft, but harvesting is a lot of fun for me.

• 71 posts
    April 25, 2017 6:00 PM PDT

Can harvest, will harvest, MUST harvest....I love it.  8-)

<<< My opinions are not humble, they are just my opinions. >>>

• 110 posts
    April 26, 2017 1:04 PM PDT

I looooooooove harvesting. No matter what game -- from EQ to Minecraft -- my bags are constantly filled with crap from harvesting.

• 66 posts
    April 26, 2017 2:16 PM PDT
    I love harvesting and it is nice thing to do while you watch Twitch videos or YouTube.

That being said, I like Guild Wars 2 harvesting system where each node was for an individual - so you didn't have to compete for resources. I think FFXIV did this too.

However, harvesting always leads to bag and bank storage issues. Please:
    1) sortable inventory
    2) account specific bank vault versus character specific. GW2 system was great. I could store my main and my altos extra inventory in the same location. I hated how you couldn't do this on FFXIV. So annoying. You couldn't even email to yourself at all since both you and your alt had to be online at the same time.