Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Powered by or optimized for?

• 69 posts
    March 10, 2017 11:45 AM PST

Has there been any info released on whether Pantheon will be optimized for Nvidia GPU or current (Polaris)/future (Vega) AMD GPU chipsets?  Wanting to purchase a monitor for my planned build but wondering if Gsync (Nvidia)or Freesynch  (AMD) will be supported. 

Support for both (and possibly 4K) would be personal bliss, but ...reality.  Since my planning for the build will have playing Pantheon at the top of my list, I want to ensure I plan accordingly for my future component purchases. 

Currently planning on a Ryzen 5 (CPU undetermined at this time) or Ryzen 7 1700 build.  I will definitely change to an Intel 1151 or 2011v3 if Pantheon is better optimized for "Big Blue" but my heart bleeds AMD red. 

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

• 2752 posts
    March 10, 2017 11:49 AM PST

Radamus said:

Has there been any info released on whether Pantheon will be optimized for Nvidia GPU or current (Polaris)/future (Vega) AMD GPU chipsets?  Wanting to purchase a monitor for my planned build but wondering if Gsync (Nvidia)or Freesynch  (AMD) will be supported. 

Support for both (and possibly 4K) would be personal bliss, but ...reality.  Since my planning for the build will have playing Pantheon at the top of my list, I want to ensure I plan accordingly for my future component purchases. 

Currently planning on a Ryzen 5 (CPU undetermined at this time) or Ryzen 7 1700 build.  I will definitely change to an Intel 1151 or 2011v3 if Pantheon is better optimized for "Big Blue" but my heart bleeds AMD red. 

Thanks in advance for any info/comments.

Gsync/Freesync are dependant on the monitor, not the games. So whichever you want will be fine there. That aside, I imagine they will be trying to optimize for both chipsets as best they can. 

• 69 posts
    March 10, 2017 12:22 PM PST

I'm fairly certain that Gsync and/or Freesynch has to be supported by the game since it synchs the game with the monitor and it's settings.  Every gaming vid I've seen shows whichever synch (V synch, Gsynch, or Freesynch) are selectable options in the game's settings. That means that the hardware (video card and monitor) also needs software/code support from the developer.  Of course I could be completely wrong since I haven't done any gaming in years.  Hence the reason for building a new PC.

This post was edited by Radamus at March 10, 2017 12:26 PM PST
    • 3 posts
    March 10, 2017 12:47 PM PST

I don't think so, all it does is synchronizes monitor's frame rate with what's coming out, it should be independent of the application being rendered, and is done on driver level.

Poking around the internets, it seems that some game engines may have vsync on by default, and thus need to be configured to not interfere with gsync.. perhaps those are the settings you have seen..

This post was edited by bruza at March 10, 2017 12:51 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    March 10, 2017 12:56 PM PST

All these active sync technologies are just a way for the monitor to synchronize with the video card and display frames in a coordinated manner. Video card will try to time the output of frames so they can be fully rendered on the screen. As far as I know, the game shouldn't really care how this is done.

For example, I have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and the only place where I have to specify whether I want to use G-Sync is in the video card settings.

In the monitor settings I specify max reflesh rate.

In the games I specify wether I want V-Sync on or off and some games have a setting for max refresh rates.

So you can get active sync technology no matter which brand you choose as long as you pair it with the appropriate monitor tech.  Which brand will offer better performance in game, I have no idea, but I would assume the devs will try to optimize for both. Of course you can always wait and see which brand performs better before deciding on your purchase.

• 69 posts
    March 10, 2017 1:37 PM PST

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.  Maybe I am getting some things confused concerning synch settings.  I plan on getting a 1440p monitor and holding off on getting a 4k until prices go down.  I would like to get a Freesynch monitor and pair it with a new Vega GPU but there really isn't any solid info on the new AMD cards concerning specs and pricing. It looks like the only real option for me is to get a G Sync monitor with a GTX 1080ti if purchase soon.  I'll do my best to wait for Vega stuff to launch, along with the Ryzen 5 CPUs (supposedly better gaming vs the Ryzen 7s), but I'm really itching to get a build going now. 

Anyone else doing or planning Ryzen builds for Pantheon? Would love to hear about your build plans.  I have no clue as to how powerful a max settings Pantheon rig needs to be so I'm trying to go as high-end as I can without selling a kidney.  Going AMD will save a ton of cash but am wondering about the hit to performance if Pantheon requires some serious horsepower to max everything out.

There are way too many choices on PC components these days.  I've been looking for an open-air chassis with at least 1 USB 3.1 Gen2 type-c on the front panel for a week now and still can't decide.  The saying is completely true about how building a PC is now like Legos for adults.

• 2752 posts
    March 10, 2017 1:50 PM PST

Honestly, it's best to just wait to see what Vega brings to the table unless you need a rig ASAP. I have the itch for a new build too but I will wait as long as necessary as I want a freesync monitor, currently waiting on this one 1440p, 30-144hz IPS to come out in a month or two. 

Given Pantheon isn't coming out until next year sometime, I can hold off. But I do want to make a Ryzen/Vega machine later this year. As for max settings, I imagine you won't need a crazy rig to pull off but we will have to wait and see. Who knows how hard being in an area with 50+ characters and spell effects will tax a system, which is another reason to wait until closer to release. 

Why open air in particular for the case?

(This thread should probably be in off-topic)

• 243 posts
    March 10, 2017 2:48 PM PST

I'm not sure which platform they will optimize for, probably both as people have said.  You many want to check this thread out, Aradune posts his Dev computer specs on it:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2469/system-requirements

Ryzen seems pretty cool, though I went with Intel in my rig.  I haven't used AMD for....a decade at least? 

This post was edited by Rominian at March 10, 2017 2:51 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    March 10, 2017 3:01 PM PST

Rominian said:

I'm not sure which platform they will optimize for, probably both as people have said.  You many want to check this thread out, Aradune posts his Dev computer specs on it:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2469/system-requirements

Ryzen seems pretty cool, though I went with Intel in my rig.  I haven't used AMD for....a decade at least? 

I'm more curious as to if they will eventually, maybe sometime after release, release some kind of "ultra" settings more aimed at those with high end PCs/for future-proofing. 

• 69 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:02 PM PST

Coming fom EQ in the past year or 2, almost any PC can run it on medium settings. During normal play, I can max EQ with no issues and fluid gameplay. Not sure if it is due to coding, but in a full raid, I had to play at low settings on RoG 750 gaming laptop.  I don't want to run into that issue with Pantheon.   I would really like to play and raid with all particles/effects and visuals at the best settings so that I can see all of what Terminus has to offer.

As for why I want an open case, it is because I want to build an air system at first but will start expirimenting with water cooling.  Open air chassis will allow me to change things up much easier.  I'm a disabled veteran with 6 back surgeries so I'm hoping to lessen the physical pain of building and tweaking my system.

If general chat isn't where this thread should be, I have no issues with it being moved to where ever.

• 9115 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:09 PM PST

As the others have kindly pointed out, the monitor choice or graphics card choice makes no difference from our end, we will support both major companies and it will be up to them to update their drivers to be compatible with our game, the monitor you choose will sync to frame rate, and obviously Nvidia and AMD are competitors so you will need to buy them together (freesync-AMD or Gsync-Nvidia) other than that the choice is all yours.

For reference, I use an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti (Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition) with an Asus ROG Swift 27" 144 Hz Gsync monitor and run Pantheon without any issues at all.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at March 10, 2017 7:11 PM PST
    • 69 posts
    March 10, 2017 10:58 PM PST

Thanks Kilsin for your response.  After hours of researching Free and G, I finally understand it thoroughly enough to make a choice on sync tech.  Went with a 144Hz 1080p using Freesync which will tie me to the new Vega cards from AMD. Can't wait to play Pantheon in buttery smoothness of 144Hz!

• 109 posts
    March 11, 2017 9:43 PM PST

just research before you buy based on nastalgia 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/

I'd love to give AMD my money, but they have to earn it. Games won't take advantage of 8 cores.

Unless you need 8 cores for another reason, AMD just didn't hit the mark they needed to. 

8 cores do nothing for gaming. 99% of intel reviews even suggest an i5 because games won't use hyper threading either. 

Not to mention that the i7-7700k is $150 cheaper than the AMD 1800x put that money back into the graphics card, you'll get more benefits. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/

This post was edited by Naim at March 11, 2017 9:59 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    March 11, 2017 10:05 PM PST

Far FAR too early to tell. The reports about Ryzen performance are all over the charts right now and finding truth is hard to do. Give it a few months of bios updates and windows fixes for the brand new architecture.

I have two monitors and constantly have multiple programs running at the same time and the more stuff you have going on the more worth it Ryzen is. Even if only used for gaming is still a great CPU, OP for most any gaming needs. Your bottleneck will be GPU. Plus there is the whole not supporting Intel given their shady past and working toward a competitive marketplace. 

• 801 posts
    March 11, 2017 10:26 PM PST

Iksar said:

Far FAR too early to tell. The reports about Ryzen performance are all over the charts right now and finding truth is hard to do. Give it a few months of bios updates and windows fixes for the brand new architecture.

I have two monitors and constantly have multiple programs running at the same time and the more stuff you have going on the more worth it Ryzen is. Even if only used for gaming is still a great CPU, OP for most any gaming needs. Your bottleneck will be GPU. Plus there is the whole not supporting Intel given their shady past and working toward a competitive marketplace. 

You mean i purchased this beast too early?

• 109 posts
    March 12, 2017 6:27 AM PDT

Iksar said:

So the same can be said for the i7-7700K then right? it Just came out, so we should ignore all the benchmarks on it as well?

Bios updates, and "windows fixes" could make the Kaby Lake even better than the 1800X? 

Sorry but bios updates and "windows fixes" might change the current benchmarks by .2%  

The current benchmarks are very viable and legit. it's not pre release hardware. The i7-7700K has hyper threading and can run 8 threads at once if needed. 

Spend the Extra $150 on the graphics card instead of more dormant cores and that will make the graphics card less of a bottleneck and will be money better spent. 

I can absolutely assure you that Pantheon will run better on an i5-6700K Kaby Lake with an nVidia 1080TI than an AMD 1800 and an RX480 / nVidia 1060/1070. (when running 1440p or 2160p(4k))

at 1080, a toaster will run most games. 

This post was edited by Naim at March 12, 2017 6:39 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    March 12, 2017 6:38 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

....For reference, I use an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti (Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition) with an Asus ROG Swift 27" 144 Hz Gsync monitor and run Pantheon without any issues at all....

*reads between the lines* .."and run Pantheon without any issues at all"

-Run pantheon-

Wait, does that mean or am I assuing that implies the Devs are IN what I call "Pre-pre Alpha"? it exists? it runs? it is played? *eyes and ears perk up*

• 801 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:48 AM PDT

Naim said:

Iksar said:

So the same can be said for the i7-7700K then right? it Just came out, so we should ignore all the benchmarks on it as well?

Bios updates, and "windows fixes" could make the Kaby Lake even better than the 1800X? 

Sorry but bios updates and "windows fixes" might change the current benchmarks by .2%  

The current benchmarks are very viable and legit. it's not pre release hardware. The i7-7700K has hyper threading and can run 8 threads at once if needed. 

Spend the Extra $150 on the graphics card instead of more dormant cores and that will make the graphics card less of a bottleneck and will be money better spent. 

I can absolutely assure you that Pantheon will run better on an i5-6700K Kaby Lake with an nVidia 1080TI than an AMD 1800 and an RX480 / nVidia 1060/1070. (when running 1440p or 2160p(4k))

at 1080, a toaster will run most games. 

OK, this is for everyone that reads into this thread. First off buy parts, tower to your liking. Do not buy or build a PC for the single game only.

1. Everything will be optimized at the end of any release so others can have that ability to run well.

2. Look at the engine it is being ran on, and read up on articles that may apply to that engine. AMD, Intel etc.. see what runs better for you.

3. Do not just buy for any video game, think of having it for other video games and utilities to run.

4. We have games, streaming, shadowplay, and other things in the background. So how much memory is enough? What CPU do i need. etc..

any higher end game will be best ran on top end cpu, best video card, as much memory as i can get, etc.. what about harddrive? Mirror x2 SSD drives run amazing today.

Read, read read articles on what you want your system to be like, and most of all what do you want out of the system...

A baseline article is a good one from toms hardware, and other resources. DO not just rely on one article as it can be misconcepted for the sale of those products.

I have been in the IT, Manufacture business for over 21 years, and it is exactly the same thing every time.

I can run 1st gen i7 and it plays just as nice as a 3rd gen i7 So what gives? depending on the engine and what it is using can have an impact on either CPU, Graphics, or memory or all. Arma 3 utilizes CPU. Charts showed that an i7 3770k runs better or as good as a 6700?? what gives there. Not all i7, i5 are based on the same speeds etc... So research your system first, and what parts you want to use.

Not sure?? ask, we have enough techie people here but not all will guide you in the right direction. So take some of it with a grain of salt and research afterwards what they say.

This is the best advice i can give anyone looking to make the best tower possible.

Here is mine..... for your reference.

i7 3770k

16gb ddr3

win 10 Pro

Evga gtx 780ti SC 3gb (forced to replaced to 960ti 4gb due to the GPU blowing up on the 780ti... cya 900 dollar video card :( I almost cried....

2x ssd Samsung pro Top of the Line Mirrored for performance.

1tb Backup drive

1tb Backup drive.

Asus Pro board. Dont care most pro boards are perfect for gaming.

Case TT gamers case.

If you want to know my FPS? it usually was running around 150-200 depending on the games. Arma 3 was around 90, and Dayz was around 120, Ark around 100, Conan around 100, UE engine <---- see

Unity engine? most likely 100fps

Runs really smooth but you will always find ways to tweak your system. To get those specs i had approx 3600 into the tower CDN pricing. With Liquid cooling i could keep it as low as 28degrees boot, to 34 max running

Hope that helps

p.s added this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/2ugb5f/gaming_computers_good_for_streaming/

2 yr old article and that tower build still plays games at 60-120fps fyi

This post was edited by Crazzie at March 12, 2017 11:05 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    March 12, 2017 12:24 PM PDT

You mean i purchased this beast too early?

Darn. I heard recommended spec was 1080 card on a Sega Genesis with a vinyl record player hard drive. Too next-gen I guess.

• 49 posts
    March 12, 2017 6:59 PM PDT

Aside from the super technical details of the high end parts, we plebs would also like to know of such preferences in the engine toward certain hardware. A recent(ish) example is Just Cause 2; the water tessellation feature was unavailable on AMD parts, and added significantly to the awesomeness of the graphics.

• 2752 posts
    March 12, 2017 7:19 PM PDT

ImmerseMe said:

Aside from the super technical details of the high end parts, we plebs would also like to know of such preferences in the engine toward certain hardware. A recent(ish) example is Just Cause 2; the water tessellation feature was unavailable on AMD parts, and added significantly to the awesomeness of the graphics.

I believe that was a result of them having a specific partnership with Nvidia and using their Gameworks stuff, which took time for AMD to work around.