Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Chat Box Idea

• 39 posts
    March 8, 2017 10:29 AM PST

Ok i will come right out and say it.. I am not the worlds best spellur.  8 years of military `15 years of factory life hasent helped in that aspect either lol.

My idea, and not sure if its even doable,  would there be a way to put in an auto correct feature in the chat system?   I know this seems trivial in some aspects.  And I am sure the first responce by some would be.. well learn how to spell ya goon.. but all that aside.  (and yes i am now seeing that auto correct is no on these forms lol)  After many many years of doing Raids and so on trying to get info out there fast has always been rough.  I know voice is coming in  game and there are many voice programs out there.   For the Day to Day thou of grouping and playing and getting to know folks sometimes i feel voice kinda takes the Magic out of it.  SO.. would something like an auto correct or spell check be possiable?   

• 441 posts
    March 8, 2017 10:40 AM PST

Being dyslexic myself. I have always dreamed of a chat UI that did just that.  

• 422 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:00 AM PST

I have a terrible habit I developed when I was young of spelling things as they are pronounced. I know better, but I still subconciously do it. Because of that, and the fact that I can't type for ****' I mispell things a LOT.

I would absolutely KILL for autocorrect in chat.

Plus, think of the hours of enjoyment and memes that will come out of autocorrected Pantheon chat gone wrong. Worth it for that alone.

• 556 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:14 AM PST

After seeing some of the wonderous auto correct fails I've had over the years, not too sure this would be great lol. I can generally read things even when mispelled but i never catch the auto corrects

• 200 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:17 AM PST

but...but...if we auto-correct ....

ten all teh 1337 speak can't haz a cheeseburgerz too!

Another fun time would be a Voice to Text options.....so for those folks who don't like to use voice chat...they can toggle the option to have it translated to text in their screen and then create various drinking games due to all of the jibberish that gets pumped out. (I am guessing the ports required to be open for that may be somewhat exploitable tho).

This post was edited by Warben at March 8, 2017 11:21 AM PST
    • 801 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:24 AM PST

There are 3rd party programs you can configure to do things for you. However the API links might not allow this. I dont think the time would be now to start introducing these awesome features. I could be wrong though.

• 39 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:26 AM PST

Voice to text is an interesting idea there too Warben.   

Well maybe the auto correct would be over stepping, perhaps the little red line under words that might be wrong.. ya right click on it and like 4 or 5 suggestions pop up?   But only if you want to change it etc.

• 200 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:41 AM PST

I like the idea of auto correct as well, I just had to be a bit cheeky.  

I think it would be client side in the UI vs server side, so you can select some of the words that aren't proper words and ignore them or add them to that drop down list.  You could potentially push your library up to the server for storage, but before you hit enter the server wouldn't know what text was in the box.

• 1618 posts
    March 8, 2017 3:29 PM PST

I can't get my autocorrect to type the words I want on my iPad or phone. Please keep it out of my game.

• 157 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:47 PM PST

Ugh, auto correct. Pisses me off more than it helps me.

• 17 posts
    March 8, 2017 6:32 PM PST

As long as there's a way to turn it off.

Changing word spellings is a fairly common practice used by roleplayers, in order to protray different accents, speech impediments, or intelligence levels.

This post was edited by Jeron at March 8, 2017 6:32 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    March 8, 2017 9:38 PM PST

I would agree with a way to either turn off completely or simple way to ignore specific misspellings, without being annoying.  

"Sum tim's mabe nut so smurt."  Or whatever those silly ogre roleplayers will do.

• 578 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:11 PM PST

I mean, as long as it's toggleable it shouldn't be a problem 

• 668 posts
    March 8, 2017 11:39 PM PST

I see no harm as long as you have an option to toggle it on or off...

• 248 posts
    March 9, 2017 2:47 AM PST

Morgnus said:

Ok i will come right out and say it.. I am not the worlds best spellur.  8 years of military `15 years of factory life hasent helped in that aspect either lol.

My idea, and not sure if its even doable,  would there be a way to put in an auto correct feature in the chat system?   I know this seems trivial in some aspects.  And I am sure the first responce by some would be.. well learn how to spell ya goon.. but all that aside.  (and yes i am now seeing that auto correct is no on these forms lol)  After many many years of doing Raids and so on trying to get info out there fast has always been rough.  I know voice is coming in  game and there are many voice programs out there.   For the Day to Day thou of grouping and playing and getting to know folks sometimes i feel voice kinda takes the Magic out of it.  SO.. would something like an auto correct or spell check be possiable? 

I don't know if it's possible to implement it or not, but (understanding how annoying it is to misspell) perhaps it's really no big deal. English is not my first language, not even my second, so I'll be misspelling all over the place. Normally there is a lot of people playing who also do not have english as their first language and they will be active in chat anyway. Mostly you are able to understand what is said and all is great :)

-sorte.

• 2886 posts
    March 9, 2017 6:53 AM PST

Pyye said:

I see no harm as long as you have an option to toggle it on or off...

Yup. My first reaction is that I would hate it because I rarely have trouble with spelling and it would just be annoying when intentionally trying to spell things that are not real English words like "Archai," "Myr," "Skar," etc. But as long as I can just turn it off, there's no reason why the people that want it shouldn't have it.

• 422 posts
    March 9, 2017 7:15 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Yup. My first reaction is that I would hate it because I rarely have trouble with spelling and it would just be annoying when intentionally trying to spell things that are not real English words like "Archai," "Myr," "Skar," etc. But as long as I can just turn it off, there's no reason why the people that want it shouldn't have it.

I don't see Pantheon specific words being an issue. The devs can whitelist those types of things and they would not try to autocorrect them to anything but Skar, Myr, or Archai. I mean, I doubt they would just copy/paste some generic autocorrect code into the client and call it a day. It would be tailor fit to work exactly how they want it to within the game.

Things like your iPhone have no list of fake words that are off limits. Unless you built it yourself.

• 2886 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:06 AM PST

kellindil said:

Bazgrim said:

I don't see Pantheon specific words being an issue. The devs can whitelist those types of things and they would not try to autocorrect them to anything but Skar, Myr, or Archai. I mean, I doubt they would just copy/paste some generic autocorrect code into the client and call it a day. It would be tailor fit to work exactly how they want it to within the game.

Things like your iPhone have no list of fake words that are off limits. Unless you built it yourself.

True, but then there is also a long list of nerd words like "noobz," "w00t," "l33t," etc. that are also fun to intentionally misspell :P Either way, I feel like autocorrect would do more harm than good for me. I trust my ability to spell. I'd just rather have complete control - same reason I drive a manual transmission haha.

But like I said, just have a toggle and then everyone wins.

• 200 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:32 AM PST

Racial filter/overlays based on what you say could be playful/awesome.. lol

Human says:  "I think we should wait here for them to path by"

Ogre - Dwarves translate this as:  "RUN IN NOW THEY SHOULD NOT LIVE"

Gnome translate this as: "I bet I could use the shiny thing on the ogre after he runs in"

Skar translate this as: " I AM GROOT"

Archai translate this as:  " I should have just done this on my own and I would have been free do do it how I wanted to"

Hafling translates this as: " SQUIRREL"

Dark Myr translates this as: "play a dirge for the ogre b/c he's not gonna stop"

Elf translate this as: "mem an evac or hjeals!"

• 257 posts
    March 9, 2017 10:16 AM PST

FF11 had a language translation system, which would autocomplete words/ phrases.

• 39 posts
    March 9, 2017 10:42 AM PST

At this point i feel sorry for mentioning the auto correct feature lol..  My origional idea i think and i probably didn't say it right was as you typing a word like in most forums etc  a little red line appears under the word basicly saying hey dummy is that what you ment?  Stuff like that.  Maybe you could right click on it then and a small list pops up of common corrections and on ya go.  It dosent even need to be something that gets in the way.  Or maybe even if the word highlights when ya type.  And yeah one check box in options of turning the feature on and off would be perfect.

• 2752 posts
    March 9, 2017 11:19 AM PST

Built in spell check is what you seemed to have meant. This is all off course from that now though. 

• 2886 posts
    March 9, 2017 12:36 PM PST

Morgnus said:

At this point i feel sorry for mentioning the auto correct feature lol..  My origional idea i think and i probably didn't say it right was as you typing a word like in most forums etc  a little red line appears under the word basicly saying hey dummy is that what you ment?  Stuff like that.  Maybe you could right click on it then and a small list pops up of common corrections and on ya go.  It dosent even need to be something that gets in the way.  Or maybe even if the word highlights when ya type.  And yeah one check box in options of turning the feature on and off would be perfect.

Ah yes, spell check is different and generally less intrusive, but don't feel bad.

I would support that, with the option to disable it.

• 200 posts
    March 9, 2017 3:08 PM PST
    I wouldn't mind it as long it could be turned off :). But I agree with Sorte, English isn't my native language either and I've usually played on European servers where as long as you can understand each other, it's all ok. Maybe your own experiences differ from mine tho, sometimes people can be rather a pain about it.
    • 107 posts
    March 10, 2017 6:34 AM PST

Morgnus said:

+1 for Spell check. -1 for autocorrect