Forums » Crafting

    • 21 posts
    February 25, 2017 1:36 AM PST

    I would love to see craftable and even buyable boats for sale you can sail around. 

    Similar to VG where they were tiered increasing in:

    • size
    • how far out to sea they could sail (depth in vg determined this)
    • speed they could travel

    with various design options. 

    I miss my Naval fleet. The cove by my house was packed with my boats. they were also handy for transporting parties and raids. 

    On the topic of craftable transportation, chariots, carriages and the like would be a nice addition to land travel. Plenty of ways to speed up travel while avoiding instant transports all over the world. 

     

    just some ideas to ponder. 

    • 8 posts
    February 25, 2017 8:28 PM PST

    Boats would be interesting, reminds me of Ultima Online.

    • 875 posts
    February 26, 2017 9:20 AM PST

    From the FAQ:

    19.3 Will there be any form of Sea travel to get across large bodies of water? Will swimming be an option?

    We've not finalized how sea travel will work at launch, but eventually you'll be able to sail ships around the world (definitely post-launch). Before all of that is implemented, however, and by launch, some limited class abilities like those that teleport you over land would likely teleport you over water as well.

    As for Swimming, it is not only an option but a very important skill with one of our player races being aquatic. Spells and items that give your character underwater breathing can also be obtained.
     
    We know from VG, and many conversations, that Brad is in favour of Boats/Ships ....
    ... it seems that while VR may want to put them in, even craftable ones, they would definitely be post-launch!
     
    PS: I would love to be able to craft a boat! .... we cn certainly hope!
    • 469 posts
    February 26, 2017 3:52 PM PST

    I enjoyed crafting parts for boats in Vanguard. It was one of those things that kind of got you noticed as a crafter if you managed to get high enough in crafting, which in itself was a chore well worth the effort. I used to have orders for parts lining up every day I logged on. The coin was never low but the work got to be a bit too much at one point. Was awesome. :p

    • 185 posts
    February 26, 2017 6:32 PM PST

    Kratuk said:

    I enjoyed crafting parts for boats in Vanguard. It was one of those things that kind of got you noticed as a crafter if you managed to get high enough in crafting, which in itself was a chore well worth the effort. I used to have orders for parts lining up every day I logged on. The coin was never low but the work got to be a bit too much at one point. Was awesome. :p



    That sounds pretty incredible.  I've been waiting for years for a game to come along that actually has dedicated crafter actually being in demand for what they can bring to the table or make for people.  And I love the idea of making boats and other things (maybe making enough money I can make a small personal boat for myself somewhere along the way), as well as making a lot of work for gatherers to help out, and especially big projects that bring a whole guild together to get make something useful to the entire guild.

    Pirate guild, arrr!

    • 12 posts
    March 23, 2017 1:06 PM PDT

    I did not play Vanguard but ArcheAge has a boat system in place that includes both crafting of boats and parts as well as naval combat. Pirating and NPC 'ghost ships' abound in the open waters. I can't steer a boat to save my own life (literally) but lordy is it fun.  The water based pvp element can be exciting for those who engage in it.  When you're doing things out in the ocean whether its transporting crafted items/trade runs or hunting ghost ships you know its important to be prepared and protected.  This opens the door for alliances between guilds - for 'mercenary' protection on board ships..even for privateering and yes, pirating as well.  You'd need to balance it out in some way but it can be done.  Archeage uses a system of points that you can gain or lose based on your actions in game so there is some consequnce for attacking "newbies" or those far under your own skill level in something. 

    I love the idea. Yes boats please.

    • 1541 posts
    April 11, 2017 2:11 AM PDT

    I'd love to see boats be a thing. I agree it was awesome in Vanguard and really added to the game. When you saw someone with a big boat it was pretty impressive and made travelling so much more fun.

    Glad to hear it might be a thing post launch. It will be something I look forward to and even more look forward to learning how to craft the parts of a boat.

    • 21 posts
    April 11, 2017 1:30 PM PDT

    Boats made group and raid travel nice and easy too. But there should really have been a cap on the number of (logged in  or out) players on the boat based on size.  having a whole raid on one tiny sloop should have sank the boat =P. 

    Camping on a boat and logging in with the option to login where you were last or where the boat is currently was a great feature, I hope to see again.

    • 190 posts
    April 16, 2017 9:59 AM PDT

     VG had some really great ideas, pity the whole ship thing wasn't completely fleshed out! ArcheAge has the best ships I've seen in an MMORPG so far, absolutely love that part of the game. Monsters out on the high seas, ghost ships that you get into cannon battles with, pvp against other player ships, moving trade packs across the ocean or fishing on your fish boat. World of Warcraft had the airship battle in Icecrown Citadel but it wasn't that well designed. In my view ships are something VR needs to decide on early if they want to include or not. It takes a lot of resources to create engaging ship content, they may be better off just handing us rowboats and later on underwater mounts.

    • 469 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

    Renathras said:

    Kratuk said:

    I enjoyed crafting parts for boats in Vanguard. It was one of those things that kind of got you noticed as a crafter if you managed to get high enough in crafting, which in itself was a chore well worth the effort. I used to have orders for parts lining up every day I logged on. The coin was never low but the work got to be a bit too much at one point. Was awesome. :p



    That sounds pretty incredible.  I've been waiting for years for a game to come along that actually has dedicated crafter actually being in demand for what they can bring to the table or make for people.  And I love the idea of making boats and other things (maybe making enough money I can make a small personal boat for myself somewhere along the way), as well as making a lot of work for gatherers to help out, and especially big projects that bring a whole guild together to get make something useful to the entire guild.

    Pirate guild, arrr!

    Ironically, the reason that I had so much work at the time was that I was being commissioned by a crafting guild. I wasn't a member but at the time I was one of the highest level smiths on the server. Several of their members would pay me to make the stuff no one in their guild could yet. It was a nice arrangement albeit a busy one. That and I made it at a more than reasonable price.

    • 1417 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:16 PM PDT

    Evoras said:

    From the FAQ:

    19.3 Will there be any form of Sea travel to get across large bodies of water? Will swimming be an option?

    We've not finalized how sea travel will work at launch, but eventually you'll be able to sail ships around the world (definitely post-launch). Before all of that is implemented, however, and by launch, some limited class abilities like those that teleport you over land would likely teleport you over water as well.

    As for Swimming, it is not only an option but a very important skill with one of our player races being aquatic. Spells and items that give your character underwater breathing can also be obtained.
     
    We know from VG, and many conversations, that Brad is in favour of Boats/Ships ....
    ... it seems that while VR may want to put them in, even craftable ones, they would definitely be post-launch!
     
    PS: I would love to be able to craft a boat! .... we cn certainly hope!

    A Great way of looking at it is there in woodworking for the hull of the boat, tailoring for the sails, along of other tradeskills to be incline to be implemented in it as well would be another great way of getting other people to rely on others for certain part of the boat.