Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Keys and bags

• 8 posts
    August 23, 2016 4:41 PM PDT

Minor thing but if Pantheon plans to have keys like EQ can we get a keyring instead of having to take up bag space and organize them?

• 624 posts
    August 23, 2016 5:16 PM PDT

Player craftable key-ma-jigs!  

Or you could always hire an ogre to carry around your various flotsam and jetsam.

• 129 posts
    August 23, 2016 5:30 PM PDT

PLEASE, for the love of all that is magic... PLEASE. This is 2016, surely they have developed magic that can store our keys on a keyring. You know, like everyone on Earth does without magic. Lol. We can even click the, "take out of bag, click thingy." I'd be okay with that. :)

• 205 posts
    August 23, 2016 6:31 PM PDT

Agree. Keys take up valuable space.

• 2419 posts
    August 23, 2016 7:34 PM PDT

I want both, frankly.  A nice crafted keychain that I could keep in a bank or in a house (if housing ever became a thing) just for a 'wow that is a lot of keys' reaction when you see them  all hanging there on a giant metal ring pegged to the wall.

• 85 posts
    August 23, 2016 7:37 PM PDT

A keychain would be preferable to me, where you can still manage which keys you want to add/remove. Perhaps, with a limit to how many you can carry at once. I'm curious will there be NO RENT keys as well for dungeons?

• 14 posts
    August 24, 2016 5:02 AM PDT

Dungeons with no-rent keys are a fun concept.  Otherwise key-ring or soulbound keys that don't take up physical space in a bag.  I mean, it is just a key right?

-Rylas

This post was edited by mattkwi at August 24, 2016 5:02 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    August 24, 2016 5:58 AM PDT

I'd like to see a keyring that is not unlimited.

I think the keyring is something that should always be with you and doesn't take up a bag slot.  However, I think it is realistic that you should have to pick and choose what is on the keyring and it only holds maybe 4-6 keys.  Other keys would be stored in the bank unlimited in a special keys only slot.  You would need to go to the bank to change out the keys you carry on your ring.

It might seem like an added hassle to get the right key to go to a place you haven't been in a long time.  I just think it's not too realistic that you have 20-30 large metal dungeon type keys all the time.

• 1778 posts
    August 24, 2016 7:50 AM PDT
    As a locksmith. I am totally on board with keyrings. I don't even care if they have weight, but keys are typically very light weight. It should take a cluster of them to even reach 1 unit of weight if you are gonna make weight matter. I suppose you could make them really huge like modern day Folger Adams keys or even cast iron prison keys. But they don't have to be that big. We have an assortment of antique skeleton and barrel keys that are tiny. So weight doesn't have to be a huge issue. And you should see some of the maintenance guys from large factories. Or janitors from huge buildings and office parks. They will come in with giant keyrings attached to their belts as big as your head and filled with 100 or more keys.

A bigger issue in my mind is what about keys that aren't keys? Like a magic stone that grants access past a magic barrier. Items like that won't fit on a key chain.

This is a side note but lock pickin needs to be more realistic too. At least elder scrolls series is on the right track, but even they don't have it quite right.
    • 184 posts
    August 24, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

Rogue said:

PLEASE, for the love of all that is magic... PLEASE. This is 2016, surely they have developed magic that can store our keys on a keyring. You know, like everyone on Earth does without magic. Lol. We can even click the, "take out of bag, click thingy." I'd be okay with that. :)

That's Great!!  I completely agree with you. Keyrings are required!!

Rint

• 173 posts
    August 24, 2016 11:46 AM PDT

celinos said:

I'd like to see a keyring that is not unlimited.

I think the keyring is something that should always be with you and doesn't take up a bag slot.  However, I think it is realistic that you should have to pick and choose what is on the keyring and it only holds maybe 4-6 keys.  Other keys would be stored in the bank unlimited in a special keys only slot.  You would need to go to the bank to change out the keys you carry on your ring.

It might seem like an added hassle to get the right key to go to a place you haven't been in a long time.  I just think it's not too realistic that you have 20-30 large metal dungeon type keys all the time.

I like this idea.  Kinda along the lines of limited spell slots.  You have to plan where you want to go and what you want to do before you leave, thus make sure you have the right keys and spells memmed else....nekkid corpse run INC.

• 363 posts
    August 24, 2016 2:43 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

I want both, frankly.  A nice crafted keychain that I could keep in a bank or in a house (if housing ever became a thing) just for a 'wow that is a lot of keys' reaction when you see them  all hanging there on a giant metal ring pegged to the wall.

My key ring is bigger than your key ring.  :P

• 1281 posts
    August 24, 2016 5:53 PM PDT

For keys, a "Keyring" sounds like a good idea. A single slot item that holds your keys. Magical keyrings could hold more keys. I don't like keyrings for other things like illusions or clicks or mounts and everything that EQ does now though.

Bags; of course different sizes, weight reduction, etc.

• 8 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:53 AM PDT

I agree on the keyring. Would be a great feature.

• 166 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:01 AM PDT

Jeah, I think the space in our bags would be better used for many other things, like different equipment, crafting materials, ...

Keys should have their own  special storage, for example a keyring. This should maybe use one slot in the bag, but not more.

Of course the use of a lock picking set would save us to gather and carry a lot of keys.

• 563 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:48 AM PDT

Keyrings just make so much sense, but I agree with Bigdogchris keyring type things for mounts, clickies etc aren't very realistic and I've never liked when games did them.

• 763 posts
    August 25, 2016 8:27 AM PDT

Amsai said:

snip-snip ... but keys are typically very light weight. ... end-snip-snip

They are *now*.  Have you *seen* what keys looked like in the 11-15th centuries??

Modern keys might weight 6-8 grams but a Medieval key may weighs 30-50 grams. Older keys were even bigger!

Unles you are a Monk, this is still not a lot though.

Always one to complicate things.... I suggest :

Keyring (small) holds - 4 'keys', keyring (medium) holds - 6 'keys' etc

... and 'key chain' allows you to link/add another keyring.

key (small) = 1 'key' ... key (medium) = 2 'key's ... Key (large) = 4 'key's

• 1778 posts
    August 25, 2016 9:52 AM PDT
    @ Evoras
    Of course I'm a locksmith. We even have to take CEUs in this state that has lock history going back to Ancient Egypt . And my boss has a fair collection of many antique safes locks and keys (some of the keys are huge like prison keys from the 1800). I'm not saying we have to have modern keys (those wouldn't look right). But who says they need to look like they are from the 11th century? In almost every fantasy game I've played they look like skeleton keys basically anyway. Why can't they be smaller antique keys from around the late 1800s like for cabinets, desks and jewelry boxes? Just an idea. Maybe locksmith tech is further along in Pantheon? But still more archaic than modern day.

• 763 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:05 AM PDT

@Amsai

Btw, Is 'locksmith' the role? If so, what are the Classes?I'm guessing at :

'Cat Burglar', 'Smash+Grab Artist' or 'Defence against the Steal-the-Arts Master' ?

I just thought it might be nice to see some BIG-ASS keys in the game!

Robbing a 20,000 Year old tomb built by a race 65 feet tall? Hope you brought 4 people just to carry the key, hehe

Or, if not, hopefully Theives willl need a set of skeleton type keys / lockpicks for places where the group doesn;t have the key!

I.e. Bring back 'consumables' for many skills, including Lock-picking.

• 1303 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:20 AM PDT

I agree completely with the keyring concept, and I agree that having limitations on number of keys on your person at a given time has merit. That said, what if the key isnt a key... ?

• 1778 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:40 AM PDT

@ Evoras LoL well I won't deny many of my fellow locksmiths might not have always been on the legit side of the business. And unfortunately many of the classes are a bit more boring theory........ but I do have some great stories of people trying to get away with crazy ****. At least 3 times a week we sniff out people that are up to no good. (Claiming locked out of house when they don't live there etc.) I would never deny you your Big Assembly keys lol. If it's really that important to you. Im not a hard liner for small keys ^.^ As a side note about the huge giants. I wouldn't be thinking a giant key. At 65 feet tall that sounds like an excellent idea for a dungeon. The Giant Lock dungeon. I agree with needing tools for lock picking and as I said earlier I'd like to see some thing cool like Elder Scrolls does it

Edit: Damn android...... ES not ESPN......wtf?lol

This post was edited by Amsai at August 25, 2016 1:10 PM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

Amsai said:  At 65 feet tall that sounds like an excellent idea for a dungeon. The Giant Lock dungeon. I agree with needing tools for lock picking and as I said earlier I'd like to see some thing cool like ESPN does it

So the lockpick kit includes a ladder? 

I liked the way they did lockpicking in Skyrim. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at August 25, 2016 11:43 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    August 25, 2016 1:23 PM PDT

@Feyshtey

Absolutely, Skyrim was probably the best representation of picking a lock (still wrong but not too bad off). Ya I mean ES, but android went crazy with auto correct heh.

As for the Giant Lock dungeon: Yes there would be many interesting tools in that particualr "pick" set. Ladders, ropes, pulleys, weights, etc. As you travel deeper and deeper into the cave er....... keyhole. Of course there would also be the Keyhole Gaurdian at the end of the keyhole right before you reached the bridge er........ lock cam.

• 231 posts
    August 25, 2016 1:54 PM PDT

I like the idea of the keychain/keyring container type as long as you can have a big container in your bank for keys that doesn't effect other item storage. It was always entertaining to me when you had to actually click on a locked door with your key to open it. In EQ if other people were in the way you'd get trade windows or no-trade errors which was annoying. But I have faith that the VR could remove that issue with no-drop/bound keys and maybe make it so that any key on your keychain can't be traded regardless of if it is or isn't nodrop.

• 114 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:16 PM PDT
    Keyring=yes.

I don't want to have to carry one around in my bags....would rather have all keys be automatically keyringed.

It would be nice, if we have tradable keys though, to be able to remove them from the Keyring and pass to an alt, guildie or even to put on a broker. I know you can do that on EQ2 with certain mounts etc.