Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Placeholder Mobs

• 690 posts
    February 21, 2017 7:12 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Venjenz said:

Call me paranoid, but it takes very little for a good MMO to become a crappy one. And P:RotF was always supposed to be a spiritual successor to EQ1. Auction House full 'o' rares fast forwards us to the point EQ1 jumped the shark, where we need to be pre-Kunark. Call me a zealot, tell me I am overreacting, but this isn't my first pre-alpha MMO forum rodeo. 

You are a paranoid zealot that is overreacting.

Eh I think his point is valid, too many epics makes games into get-twinked-by-the-creator-and-solo games rather than group based work-together games. Wow for example had "no drop" but it also handed out so much good gear so easily it didn't matter so much if you couldn't buy it. 

However, Pantheon does seem to be putting in safe guards against general flooding of epics. They have plans for item sinks (as opposed to gold sinks) we have yet to learn much about. If done well it could work out, and with server population control even farmers shouldn't be able to flood the market toooo much. 

It's important to note the social factor of Pantheon. Players trading with one another is a social thing and limiting the amount of things you can trade directly limits players trading. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 21, 2017 7:14 PM PST
    • 70 posts
    February 22, 2017 12:03 AM PST

Part of the EQ1 mystique was that you wanted what you didn't have or couldn't get.

You imagined how you might acquire items you only saw on a few others.

It gave you a sense of growing up on your character more than just in numeric levels.

Makign the effort over a long period to acquire items was part of the fun and lore of a long, complex game. It's why we remember it so well.

PHs are fine, but I'd like to see them a bit less static like others mentioned; in a zone or area but more randonly located and less predictable - just like I hope the AI in general will be.

Make groups roam together, not just statically camp together.

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 12:50 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

Eh I think his point is valid, too many epics makes games into get-twinked-by-the-creator-and-solo games rather than group based work-together games. Wow for example had "no drop" but it also handed out so much good gear so easily it didn't matter so much if you couldn't buy it. 

However, Pantheon does seem to be putting in safe guards against general flooding of epics. They have plans for item sinks (as opposed to gold sinks) we have yet to learn much about. If done well it could work out, and with server population control even farmers shouldn't be able to flood the market toooo much. 

It's important to note the social factor of Pantheon. Players trading with one another is a social thing and limiting the amount of things you can trade directly limits players trading. 

I think another important thing is that if it were to be similar to EQ in the named/PH side of things then it would be fine.

Example: Named mob spawns on average once every 4 hours with a 20% drop chance on FBSS, which would average to 1 a day or 365 per year. On a server with even as little as 2000 players, this is a very small number for an item most all melee dps would want. Not taking into account anyone who quits with one in their inventory, or destroys it for a buff, or time the named might not be camped.