Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thoughts about the recent Newsletter

• 1778 posts
    February 10, 2016 9:38 PM PST

I realize some things might not be able to have an answer for now:

1. I love the idea of the Quaternity (tank, healer, dps, CC). But where do debuffs and buffs fit in? Always mixed in some way? Or do I dare hope in any pure debuff or buff classes? And when I say that I mean classes in which that is the primary function. Not DPS that can debuff. Not a healer that can buff. Something more like a Debuffer that can do some damage.

2. The tidbit of Druid got me really interested in it. It will be interesting to see the reveal. My only worry would be it being a "mandatory" class. Be careful not to allow it to bypass content/gear too much lol!!!

3. I really liked that you guys are making sure that hybrids will be in a good place. Not OP, but not LOL. And that goes for making sure no class is left behind as well. If there is one thing I cant stand its a class that is so shunned it would have been better never to have been created.

• 106 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:23 PM PST
    They couldn't have explained the cleric any better imo, I'm so excited to see they have some blocking features similar to their DA invulnerability from EQ.

I would save entire groups like that while our wiz/druid evaced.

Also LOVE brads rant about classes and how deep some of them go.

I was annoyed there wasn't more, but like a spoilt child I guess I just have to wait he hehe.

Good work VR! Keep it up!
    • 2130 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:14 AM PST

Amsai said:

I love the idea of the Quaternity (tank, healer, dps, CC). But where do debuffs and buffs fit in? Always mixed in some way? Or do I dare hope in any pure debuff or buff classes? And when I say that I mean classes in which that is the primary function. Not DPS that can debuff. Not a healer that can buff. Something more like a Debuffer that can do some damage.

Honestly, I always felt that Bards are the most logical choice for something like this. In EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, etc. they served this purpose rather well. I will say, though, that Vanguard made the mistake of allowing Bards to do wayyyyy too much damage. I'll never forget when the level 55 cap was put in and Bards were literally topping every single DPS parse due to the implementation of Erosive Hew. Even after they nerfed Erosive Hew, Bards were still doing huge (12k+) DPS parses in raids.

All in all, Bards always struck me as the best "support" type. Emphasis on buffs/debuffs with the ability to do half or less the damage of dedicated DPS classes. However, the class needs to be very fun to play to compel people to play it. I played a Bard in VG simply because it was really fun, but in EQ I found them to be exceptionally dull.

• 71 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:05 AM PST

I was going to make a thread about newsletter feedback, but I'll add my thoughts here!

I really like the broad strokes overview of the class. I hope this is the information they do about game/class mechanics. Please don't list out abilities and spells and numbers before launch! Leave it all for us to discover in the game. I had this thought when viewing some other posts on other forums how some people "wish they posted more specifics like Rez, spell types, or X / Y / Z details. Details are supposed to be discovered and learned organically from playing the game.

Info pre-release should be limited to very broad views, flavor, lore, etc.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:51 AM PST

I think we will see the bard as a huge buff class and maybe the CC toons having more Debuffs as well.

• 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:43 AM PST
    Ill say as a fan of bard I hope for that as well. But was also hoping one of the currently announced classes might fill the roll of buff and debuffs as well. Though I will say from the sound of it (along with whatever ekse they do) that Druid is kind of both. With the potential for "Geomancer" (FF series class) like abilities that effect the environment a Druid might in some cases do both with one spell. Just instead of targeting enemies or allies. You instead cast a localized spell maybe that strengthens allies in some ways while weakens enemies. (Completely making this up) Like maybe casting a localized holy atmosphere that increases holy damage for allies and weakens undead to it even more?
    • 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:49 AM PST
    Double post I know but android is stupid.

Just wanted to say I didnt intend this thread to be only about my thoughts. So if anyone has anything they want to contribute about the newsletter in general or Cleric specificly please do so. It wasnt my intent to make a thread about Druid really lol.
    • 132 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:06 AM PST

Since I really wanted to be a Cleric in this game, it was a treat to be first class to get info. 

I do hope that we don't have to wait a full month to get info about other classes. 

I liked that it was vague, yet informative at the same time. 

• 2138 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:12 PM PST

I think the pillar of protection should be something profoundly holy, that causes the Character to say something impressive when it is cast...I mean Brought Forth! and one of the requirements is that the cleric has to come up with something to say, that is then approved by GM's pior to the character using it, to guard against " you shall not pass!" or "by grapthnars hammer" but also to personalize it and encourage role play. Or maybe it can be an option. 

• 999 posts
    February 11, 2016 6:13 PM PST

@Amsai,

If classes follow a similar mold to EQ, the shaman had many debuffs/buffs as well.  Resistance debuffs, slows, stat debuffs, and many lines of stat buffs.  Shamans were also able to do average to good DPS with damage over time spells and Direct damage spells.  They also had healing that was on par with druids.  Overall, they were a very versatile class.  Could be a primary healer in a pinch, good support, average-good DPS, and had the best slows (which were extremely important).

• 1714 posts
    February 11, 2016 6:30 PM PST

EQ Shamans were absolute power houses. Arguably the best combination of solo and group power of any class. 

• 1778 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:32 AM PST
    Thats good to hear about shaman. Though I want to be a support class I loathe healing so I wouldnt want to be pushed into that role either. Emergency heals is one thing but it being the role Im expected to play would be where Id walk away from a class.
    • 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:38 AM PST

Amsai said: Thats good to hear about shaman. Though I want to be a support class I loathe healing so I wouldnt want to be pushed into that role either. Emergency heals is one thing but it being the role Im expected to play would be where Id walk away from a class.

If you don't want to cast spells on other people, the EQ shaman is the very last class you should play. 

• 1778 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:54 AM PST
    It might not make a difference in your answer. But its not that I dont want to cast on other people. I will cast buffs on party/raid groups all day long. I specifically dont want to heal is all.
    • 74 posts
    February 12, 2016 2:15 PM PST

I'm a fanboi don't get me wrong and the developers to me are like the madden team of developers, they're the crew I want working on this game and honestly my last real hope of a traditional/oldschool game being done the way I'd enjoy it (a la EQ1/Vanguard). They have a track record of making games I really enjoy and making games I play for years (EQ1/Vanguard). I'm hoping (and deeply believe) Pantheon will be that game.

What bummed me out after the Feb newsletter is that in two months of time there was nothing in game to show off in progress which was the case for December (Video, screenshots, and fairly deep lore). After being kind of bummed about missing the January one, I thought for sure February would have been something a little more given the additional time to work on and the additional development time. I'm just hoping the next class reveal at least shows them in-game or March has some in-game footage/screenshots.

This post was edited by spyderoptik at February 12, 2016 2:52 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 13, 2016 1:18 PM PST

spyderoptik said:

I'm a fanboi don't get me wrong and the developers to me are like the madden team of developers, they're the crew I want working on this game and honestly my last real hope of a traditional/oldschool game being done the way I'd enjoy it (a la EQ1/Vanguard). They have a track record of making games I really enjoy and making games I play for years (EQ1/Vanguard). I'm hoping (and deeply believe) Pantheon will be that game.

What bummed me out after the Feb newsletter is that in two months of time there was nothing in game to show off in progress which was the case for December (Video, screenshots, and fairly deep lore). After being kind of bummed about missing the January one, I thought for sure February would have been something a little more given the additional time to work on and the additional development time. I'm just hoping the next class reveal at least shows them in-game or March has some in-game footage/screenshots.

It will come.  We finished creating a core, basic, but fun playable game in December (one of our first major internal milestones).  We are now deep into our next milestone which mainly consists of implementing the mechanics that truly make Pantheon different -- if you look at the differentiators on the webpage you'll know what I'm talking about.  We'll even be showing some of these new, deeper mechanics at an upcoming games show.  

But right now, working on these new systems, the game is in a state of flux so to speak.  We need to work through this next internal milestone and then we'll have a lot to show.  Trying to show it right now when we're knee deep in putting it all together, would require us to stop forward development and spend a significant bit of time piecing things together earlier just for the sake of demo'ing it or showing it off.  And as much as I would love to share all of this with you ASAP, moving game development forward is the priority right now and I just can't take resources away from that.  

I hope that makes sense and at least let's you guys know what it going on -- we appreciate your patience.  We really are a lean and mean team and so whenever we take time to put together newletters, screenshots, videos, etc. it does negatively affect forward development progress.  Now, to be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't ever do that -- we absolutely should -- we owe it to you guys and we want to show the game off to get more people excited about Pantheon.  What I am saying is that, at least at this point, we can't do it as often as you would like and I would like.  

If you have any questions about all of this, please don't hesitate to post.

thanks all,

• 2138 posts
    February 13, 2016 1:28 PM PST

I hope the next 10 levels are harder and more detailed that the first, and exponentially harder each 10 after, and fun.

• 366 posts
    February 13, 2016 3:21 PM PST

Aradune said:

spyderoptik said:

It will come.  We finished creating a core, basic, but fun playable game in December (one of our first major internal milestones).  We are now deep into our next milestone which mainly consists of implementing the mechanics that truly make Pantheon different -- if you look at the differentiators on the webpage you'll know what I'm talking about.  We'll even be showing some of these new, deeper mechanics at an upcoming games show.  

But right now, working on these new systems, the game is in a state of flux so to speak.  We need to work through this next internal milestone and then we'll have a lot to show.  Trying to show it right now when we're knee deep in putting it all together, would require us to stop forward development and spend a significant bit of time piecing things together earlier just for the sake of demo'ing it or showing it off.  And as much as I would love to share all of this with you ASAP, moving game development forward is the priority right now and I just can't take resources away from that.  

I hope that makes sense and at least let's you guys know what it going on -- we appreciate your patience.  We really are a lean and mean team and so whenever we take time to put together newletters, screenshots, videos, etc. it does negatively affect forward development progress.  Now, to be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't ever do that -- we absolutely should -- we owe it to you guys and we want to show the game off to get more people excited about Pantheon.  What I am saying is that, at least at this point, we can't do it as often as you would like and I would like.  

thanks all,

Is it the intent that some of these new systems will be ready to be tested in pre-alpha? Or will these systems be introduced as testing progresses?

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 14, 2016 10:06 AM PST

Zarriya said:

Aradune said:

spyderoptik said:

thanks all,

Is it the intent that some of these new systems will be ready to be tested in pre-alpha? Or will these systems be introduced as testing progresses?

The core systems will be there for pre-alpha.  The version 1 of these systems need to be there so you guys can test them, help us debug, and provide feedback.  We also need to make sure there is enough content before bringing in pre-alpha and alpha outside players.   Also for pre-alpha, it is likely that the servers will not alwyas be up; rather, we'll bring you in when we need you to focus test in a given area.  Truly being able to login and play whenever you want as long as you want probably won't happen until beta 1.  

Remember our pre-alpha, alpha, and beta testing are not 'early access' gimmicks.  We will need you to test specific aspects of the game, the game as a whole, stabilitiy, etc., and your feedback will be essential if we are going to launch a great game. 

• 7 posts
    February 14, 2016 10:38 AM PST

Awesome update!  Thank you very much for filling us in on what is going on currently and letting us know what you are focusing on.  That helps the time be more bearable for those of us who are eagerly watching for new content related to Pantheon.  I'm looking forward to helping test systems and typing up bug reports... it's always easier to break things than to fix them!  :)

-Naladar

• 76 posts
    February 14, 2016 2:51 PM PST

Aradune said:

The core systems will be there for pre-alpha.  The version 1 of these systems need to be there so you guys can test them, help us debug, and provide feedback.  We also need to make sure there is enough content before bringing in pre-alpha and alpha outside players.   Also for pre-alpha, it is likely that the servers will not alwyas be up; rather, we'll bring you in when we need you to focus test in a given area.  Truly being able to login and play whenever you want as long as you want probably won't happen until beta 1.  

Remember our pre-alpha, alpha, and beta testing are not 'early access' gimmicks.  We will need you to test specific aspects of the game, the game as a whole, stabilitiy, etc., and your feedback will be essential if we are going to launch a great game. 

Just give me something to break and i will break it for you, into tiny little pieces. 

(yes im looking forward to prealpha/alpha/beta that much)

This post was edited by Akailo at February 14, 2016 3:01 PM PST
    • 154 posts
    February 14, 2016 3:46 PM PST

I appreciate Aradune's comments, they were very informative and I appreciate the information. I do have to agree with spyderoptik in that I too was a little disappointed with the February release. Like any greedy fan, I wanted something more but mainly something new. Everything that was presented in this newsletter had already been presented/discussed in the developers round table nearly a calendar year ago. I understand that the news needs to be made official and everything and it logically makes sense that the firmest things would be released first and have already been discussed but after the cancelation of the previous month's newsletter, there had been some much build up (at least in my mind) that I was hoping for something new. Anyway, I am really happy to hear there is progress and updates like the one Brad gave above are very nice supplements to the monthly newsletters. 

• 154 posts
    February 14, 2016 3:52 PM PST

One more thing, I would like to add that I really enjoyed the Developers Round Table and the Twitch Modeling Sessions we used to have with Monte and Joppa. I also completely understand that part of the reason that they needed to be rolled back is to manage the flow of information and external expectations like I articulated above. I know these things take a long time to percolate and move from round table idea into lore entrenched, mechanic sure to be implemented releasable material. I understand all of this has to be done and is part of the process.

• 311 posts
    February 14, 2016 8:01 PM PST

Thanks for the update "Dune" glad to read some more info of what's going on. Guessing most are like me with no real good games to get into and dieing to get into Pantheon. I know it's a small team and you are trying to bust out lots of new content and I can probably say for all of us keep up the good work. Like all here with the 2 months of not a lot of info we expected something big (which with your info on this thread it is), it was a little disheartening to see the cleric ( I love clerics don't get me wrong, your heals I love) we just expected more which we shouldn't. Maybe good plan going forward is to say we are going to reveal a class or race or some special ability or multiple. Though we still might complain atleast our expections can be takin out of the equasion.

As I said before thanks to the team and everyone here with out you all we couldn't have the making of this game. Thanks again "Dune" for the update!

This post was edited by Kazingathi at February 14, 2016 8:02 PM PST
    • 366 posts
    February 14, 2016 8:35 PM PST

Aradune said:

Zarriya said:

Aradune said:It will come.  We finished creating a core, basic, but fun playable game in December (one of our first major internal milestones).  We are now deep into our next milestone which mainly consists of implementing the mechanics that truly make Pantheon different -- if you look at the differentiators on the webpage you'll know what I'm talking about.  We'll even be showing some of these new, deeper mechanics at an upcoming games show.  

...snip...

Thank you for answering my question and Happy Valentine's Day <3 .  Wow, it sounds like there is a lot of content you are slipping into the testing build!  I think this information will help people understand why testing has not started yet.

I actually prefer when testing is during limited time events.  I have participated in early testing both ways (FT access vs PT access) and found a lot of times when you are in FT testing for months the population thins out, especially when the most of the game world is not included. Limited access testing helps keeps the smaller population of testers active and engaged. Thank you for the setting up the expectations of the testing phases.

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 14, 2016 8:56 PM PST