Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Trapped in the darkness

• 727 posts
    November 13, 2023 1:53 PM PST
    Trapped in darkness

Anyone played a game where you had to stop when darkness fell because the area after dark was so dangerous the risks of stumbling into trouble were too great? I'm imagining a long valley that is safe to travel through during the day but very dangerous, even for some high level players, at night. Stopping and setting a camp provided some safety as the baddies would path around a bright and large light source, where just a torch or 2 would not do, the torches maybe even attracting their attention.

An in-game night passed around a campfire, crafting and chatting while you hear the attacks upon less prepared players in the dark, or the snuffling and shrieking of the big baddies passing too close for comfort.
    Sizing up who I could outrun and leave behind, because my little Halfling isn't going to sacrifice himself for any of you lot.
    Now before you think of grouping up with a few lower levels and leading them to the valley and keeping them there after dark with a promise that your campfire will offer protection and the night will be filled with merrymaking, only to turn the lights out and run to a prearranged safe cave to allow them to be slaughtered, all to collect their loot and trinkets after the rising of the sun, just remember, it was my idea first.
    • 173 posts
    November 14, 2023 2:50 AM PST
    *places a glass of thandai in front of a statue of the god StoneFish, the god of happiness*
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:59 AM PST
    That coupled with full moons or new moons and weather in the form of dark and dramatic storm clouds could be very intense, indeed. Rain, spluttering the fires, even dousing them if heavy enough. Glimpses of movement in the treeline with each flash of lightning. Even specific critters that burrow from the ground, at night, in a full moon to do what ever it is they do (being very hungry first, though).
    • 727 posts
    November 18, 2023 11:50 AM PST
    Being surprised by a downpour that kills the fire and causes large worms to spawn from the ground is just the type of event to be memorable for a small group of adventurers.

The backlit movement in the treeline is a great idea.
    This post was edited by StoneFish at November 18, 2023 11:51 AM PST
    • 810 posts
    November 18, 2023 12:52 PM PST
    This is the kind of stuff I hope for but doubt VR will put into the game in order to try and appeal to everyone.

Darkness creating variance and difficulty in most zones, but some spike the danger far higher. The super dangerous zones where night is deadly for all would be so fun. Dozens of mobs afraid of the lights and more than a few mobs that try to put out the lights to let their brethren swarm the party are the kind of RPG scenarios I love. The world giving us a need to work as a team to survive is unheard of these days. Nights in this zone or forcing solo players to gather in safe well lit outposts bring people together.
    • 902 posts
    November 18, 2023 3:05 PM PST
    Imagine a quest line leading you to a noble's rooftop in the dead of night to stop an assassination. Dark, wet, new moon peaking from the clouds every now and then, illuminating the roof tops around, waiting for a glimpse of the would be attackers. Not knowing their numbers or direction. No lights allowed so you can ambush them, instead. I think that could be tense!