Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Change the graphics back for the love of God.

• 1019 posts
    October 28, 2023 9:16 PM PDT
    We all know the true state of the game now. You tried to save it by getting it out earlier and that's not going to happen.

Find a new art style, change it back to how it looked in 2014 for all I care. Please don't continue to move forward with this horrible horrible looking art style.
    • 185 posts
    October 28, 2023 11:08 PM PDT
    I really like the new art style. The old style was so dated. I think the new art style will really stand the test of time. Loving what im seeing from 247 too. Old school MMO’s are so.. dated. I think an extraction game-MMO hybrid will really stand the test of time. Also, im so tired of game studios that operate with deadlines and oversight. I think Visionary Realms will really stand the test of time. Keep up the great work VR. Onward and upward!
    • 560 posts
    October 28, 2023 11:56 PM PDT
    We have not seen a lot of the new graphics yet but so far I also like them better. The old graphics would have worked fine but they looked old before the game is even in Alpha. The new graphics should be a lot faster to develop and dose not look old. Win Win. I might get in trouble here but WoW had horrible art style.
    This post was edited by Susurrus at October 29, 2023 10:36 AM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 3:21 AM PDT
    lotuss79 said:
    I really like the new art style. The old style was so dated. I think the new art style will really stand the test of time. Loving what im seeing from 247 too. Old school MMO’s are so.. dated. I think an extraction game-MMO hybrid will really stand the test of time. Also, im so tired of game studios that operate with deadlines and oversight. I think Visionary Realms will really stand the test of time. Keep up the great work VR. Onward and upward!

This gave me a good chuckle. Love a dark sense of humor sometimes.

The art sucks. The game is dead.
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 29, 2023 3:22 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    October 29, 2023 8:27 AM PDT
    If you like a studio that operates without deadlines you will be happy as a pig in mud here.
    • 49 posts
    October 29, 2023 8:31 AM PDT

Even if they were to do this, the damage has already been done. It shows an inconsistency in vision and dedication to the design of the project. What we get in 5 years may not resemble at all what we were promised 10 years ago. Anyone who was on the fence has already written off the game. Many who supported it are now giving up on it. It would take a miracle to bring it back from near-death now.

• 252 posts
    October 29, 2023 9:26 AM PDT
    You can believe the old style was dated without liking the new style. That is where I'm at. It wasn't a binary choice between the old style and the new style. I mean, it isn't a choice at all for us; but the devs had a range of choices.
    • 947 posts
    October 29, 2023 9:35 AM PDT
    I absolutely hate the graphics… that graphic style is the reason I never played Fortnite. With that said though, Fortnite has a high population, which means that those of us that don’t like that art style are the minority. I was never following this game (or playing EQ for that matter) for the graphics though. As long as they come through with the game mechanics promised I’m ok.
    • 102 posts
    October 29, 2023 11:44 AM PDT
    Ehhh like is a strong word. I am willing to tolerate or kind of "work with" the graphics. I have been completely spoiled by Baldurs Gate 3 so the comparison is even more stark. What I'm really hoping for is some improvements during or towards the end of development. What improvements? I don't know, I don't know digital artistry in the least.

This last update from Joppa conveyed a lot (as a non-pre alpha pledger). And while things aren't in the best of state, especially in regards to public relations, Joppa has given context about the size of the dev team and the extent at which they are working. I was listening intently and believe he is being very sincere. As an aside, what could keep tempers from flaring up like this next time is simply that communication. Maybe not necessarily a big produced video that takes time to create as their resources are obviously very limited.

I am personally not sure what to think of the game at this moment in development, not necessarily good or bad...maybe not great. I'm still debating whether to donate up to pre-alpha pledge level, I figure I'll at least finish playing BG3 first as that game is massive and time consuming. Regardless of what happens, I've treated the pledge to this project like a trip to Atlantic City (I live in NJ). I'm expecting to lose my money, but if it happens to pay off, then even better!

I mean really, what are people going to do? sue over $1,000? Between time and lawyer costs, you'll end up losing more. When I was donating I remember reading some kind of disclaimer that there's a risk that money may never bear a product, I donated anyway. Large investors may be another story, but the majority of people commenting on the forums are not.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to hate what they're seeing of course. Like I said I'm not thrilled either. But the forums seem to be devolving and everyone repeating the same banter, more so being incredibly nasty toward the dev team is the troublesome part. VR is not some shadowy entity hell bent on stealing money, that's what the banks and politicians do.
    • 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 11:44 AM PDT
    Darch said:
    I absolutely hate the graphics… that graphic style is the reason I never played Fortnite. With that said though, Fortnite has a high population, which means that those of us that don’t like that art style are the minority. I was never following this game (or playing EQ for that matter) for the graphics though. As long as they come through with the game mechanics promised I’m ok.

Fortenite has a very different target audience then Pantheon. Minecraft is the most successful selling video game in the history of the world and it's also the ugliest (IMO). By and large Pantheon's market doesn't demand cutting edge graphics, but we don't want Fortnite, Minecraft or WoW. They are all for a different demographic.
    • 2419 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:58 PM PDT

dorotea said: If you like a studio that operates without deadlines you will be happy as a pig in mud here.

It is a sad, but true, statement.  VR may have internal deadlines but none of them ever have been made known to anybody.  It is the apparently lack of deadlines that hurts VR.  Even if VR were to come here and emphatically state they have deadlines, without actual proof it is just words.

• 252 posts
    October 29, 2023 2:30 PM PDT
    Vandraad said:

dorotea said: If you like a studio that operates without deadlines you will be happy as a pig in mud here.

It is a sad, but true, statement. VR may have internal deadlines but none of them ever have been made known to anybody. It is the apparently lack of deadlines that hurts VR. Even if VR were to come here and emphatically state they have deadlines, without actual proof it is just words.

They have deadlines. Soon(tm) and now with 247, sooner(tm).
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 29, 2023 2:30 PM PDT
    • 44 posts
    October 29, 2023 7:08 PM PDT

You don't speak for me. I am 100% fine with the art style. Pantheon was never about the art style, it was about the MMORPG gameplay design that made EQ great, and was lost when every MMORPG since became a WoW clone.

Well, 100% may not be accurate. I personally find the character models to be absolutely terrible. Ugly. Males are not "cool", and Females are not "hot". I'd have no particular desire to select either if I was staring at them in the character creator. But again... that is not the important part of the game. Non-ugly looking character models would just be a bonus.

That said... Hand Painted art styles can look great! While Realism often looks "meh" unless using the absolute latest high quality game engine. Realism styles do not age well. They get dated VERY quickly.

The only fault I find with the graphics style change is... doing it after 10 FREAKING YEARS! I completely understand people being upset with the change. For the last decade, we have been shown one style, and the community has gotten accustomed to and expect that. I understand the need to change the style. The reasoning is very valid and reasonable. But it should have been realized and implemented FARRRRRRRRRRR sooner. Sometimes there is just going to be something that needs to be done in development for the greater good of the project, that is not going to go over well with all fans. And you will just have to do the best that you can to do it and introduce it in a way that mitigates the response with the community. And VR utterly failed on that. It came out of nowhere, way too late in the development process, with fairly underwhelming screenshots to show for it, and poorly communicated.

The style itself is not bad. It can be anywhere from pretty to dark and gritty. That's up to the artists and art direction. But what has been shown so far is kind of "meh" as far as hand painted styles go. The scenes are lacking content like bushes and rocks. The terrain is too flat, and the texture transitions are cheap. This is why it gets that mobile game vibe instead of a WoW vibe. They needed to put their best foot forward to convince people the change was a good thing... and they failed on that.

• 316 posts
    October 29, 2023 9:01 PM PDT

I really think the old-school MMO gameplay only works with a more realistic art style. This new art style just does not fit the gameplay -- this kind of art needs faster gameplay. Hitting a snake with the same animation over and over... just isn't worth it without an aesthetic payoff. Camping and grinding for a long time is just not worth it when the rewards will not make us look (and feel) more badass. WoW may have just gotten away with it, but that gameplay was much, much more polished and dynamic than what we've seen. Imagine playing Everquest with cartoony graphics like the art we now see. I don't know about you all, but I couldn't be bothered to do that. The non-cartoonyness of the world imbued it with a sense of meaning that is, unfortunately, lost in this art style. In my opinion. I'm certainly not motivated to whack at a snake over and over and over if I don't feel like my character is cool. The art hasn't given me that feeling yet. Maybe I'll try the 247, but the gameplay videos have not seemed very exciting...

Sorry VR - odd that this ended up happening.

• 724 posts
    October 30, 2023 12:35 AM PDT
    DarkAkuma said:

You don't speak for me. I am 100% fine with the art style. Pantheon was never about the art style, it was about the MMORPG gameplay design that made EQ great, and was lost when every MMORPG since became a WoW clone.

Well, 100% may not be accurate. I personally find the character models to be absolutely terrible. Ugly. Males are not "cool", and Females are not "hot". I'd have no particular desire to select either if I was staring at them in the character creator. But again... that is not the important part of the game. Non-ugly looking character models would just be a bonus.

That said... Hand Painted art styles can look great! While Realism often looks "meh" unless using the absolute latest high quality game engine. Realism styles do not age well. They get dated VERY quickly.

The only fault I find with the graphics style change is... doing it after 10 FREAKING YEARS! I completely understand people being upset with the change. For the last decade, we have been shown one style, and the community has gotten accustomed to and expect that. I understand the need to change the style. The reasoning is very valid and reasonable. But it should have been realized and implemented FARRRRRRRRRRR sooner. Sometimes there is just going to be something that needs to be done in development for the greater good of the project, that is not going to go over well with all fans. And you will just have to do the best that you can to do it and introduce it in a way that mitigates the response with the community. And VR utterly failed on that. It came out of nowhere, way too late in the development process, with fairly underwhelming screenshots to show for it, and poorly communicated.

The style itself is not bad. It can be anywhere from pretty to dark and gritty. That's up to the artists and art direction. But what has been shown so far is kind of "meh" as far as hand painted styles go. The scenes are lacking content like bushes and rocks. The terrain is too flat, and the texture transitions are cheap. This is why it gets that mobile game vibe instead of a WoW vibe. They needed to put their best foot forward to convince people the change was a good thing... and they failed on that.

Well said, this is my position as well. Everyone who has not seen the new art in-game should really wait until they see it for themselves. The few short videos and few screenshots are not enough to really show off the change. It's unfortunate that the testers and more importantly, streamers, are still bound by NDA. Pantheon+ has made a new stream yesterday where they carefully touch upon the many things that are being done currently, but may not talk about it or show it yet. That really is not helping...

I'm unsure about the future of Pantheon. But the new art style is not something I worry about.
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 8:05 AM PDT
    Sarim said:
    DarkAkuma said:

Well said, this is my position as well. Everyone who has not seen the new art in-game should really wait until they see it for themselves. The few short videos and few screenshots are not enough to really show off the change. It's unfortunate that the testers and more importantly, streamers, are still bound by NDA. Pantheon+ has made a new stream yesterday where they carefully touch upon the many things that are being done currently, but may not talk about it or show it yet. That really is not helping...

I'm unsure about the future of Pantheon. But the new art style is not something I worry about.

I agree with these 2 guys.

Go watch the "Shaman refresh video" that VR put out. Those graphics are absolutely nothing special and they are zoomed in for this specific video, so you can see them even better.

The painted style won't be as realistic, but I seriously think it will look better, overall. I'm also reserving full judgement until I get into the game myself. Things always look so much better when you finally get to launch them on your own computer.

Although yes, please make sure the character models are something people WANT to look at and WANT to choose. Because I agree that the character models don't look great, so far.
    • 369 posts
    October 31, 2023 8:09 AM PDT
    Prevenge said:
    Sarim said:
    DarkAkuma said: You don't speak for me. I am 100% fine with the art style. Pantheon was never about the art style, it was about the MMORPG gameplay design that made EQ great, and was lost when every MMORPG since became a WoW clone. Well, 100% may not be accurate. I personally find the character models to be absolutely terrible. Ugly. Males are not "cool", and Females are not "hot". I'd have no particular desire to select either if I was staring at them in the character creator. But again... that is not the important part of the game. Non-ugly looking character models would just be a bonus. That said... Hand Painted art styles can look great! While Realism often looks "meh" unless using the absolute latest high quality game engine. Realism styles do not age well. They get dated VERY quickly. The only fault I find with the graphics style change is... doing it after 10 FREAKING YEARS! I completely understand people being upset with the change. For the last decade, we have been shown one style, and the community has gotten accustomed to and expect that. I understand the need to change the style. The reasoning is very valid and reasonable. But it should have been realized and implemented FARRRRRRRRRRR sooner. Sometimes there is just going to be something that needs to be done in development for the greater good of the project, that is not going to go over well with all fans. And you will just have to do the best that you can to do it and introduce it in a way that mitigates the response with the community. And VR utterly failed on that. It came out of nowhere, way too late in the development process, with fairly underwhelming screenshots to show for it, and poorly communicated. The style itself is not bad. It can be anywhere from pretty to dark and gritty. That's up to the artists and art direction. But what has been shown so far is kind of "meh" as far as hand painted styles go. The scenes are lacking content like bushes and rocks. The terrain is too flat, and the texture transitions are cheap. This is why it gets that mobile game vibe instead of a WoW vibe. They needed to put their best foot forward to convince people the change was a good thing... and they failed on that.
    Well said, this is my position as well. Everyone who has not seen the new art in-game should really wait until they see it for themselves. The few short videos and few screenshots are not enough to really show off the change. It's unfortunate that the testers and more importantly, streamers, are still bound by NDA. Pantheon+ has made a new stream yesterday where they carefully touch upon the many things that are being done currently, but may not talk about it or show it yet. That really is not helping... I'm unsure about the future of Pantheon. But the new art style is not something I worry about.
    I agree with these 2 guys. Go watch the "Shaman refresh video" that VR put out. Those graphics are absolutely nothing special and they are zoomed in for this specific video, so you can see them even better. The painted style won't be as realistic, but I seriously think it will look better, overall. I'm also reserving full judgement until I get into the game myself. Things always look so much better when you finally get to launch them on your own computer. Although yes, please make sure the character models are something people WANT to look at and WANT to choose. Because I agree that the character models don't look great, so far.

Would that be the first time the Shaman was refreshed or one of the subsequent times?
    This post was edited by arazons at October 31, 2023 8:10 AM PDT