Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

I trust them

• 727 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:16 PM PDT
    I trust the people doing the work at VR.

One of my all time favorite quotes.

'The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we have always done it this way" '
    -Grace Hopper

On the wall over her desk, she hung a clock going counter-clockwise to remind the hardheaded that because something was done one way in the past is no reason why it can’t be done a better way In the future.

Please enjoy a clip of this genius at nearly 80 years old visiting Dave Letterman in 1986
    https://youtu.be/oE2uls6iIEU?si=XrESIqSboG4I0Nr1
    • 80 posts
    October 25, 2023 9:30 PM PDT
    Which dev are you related to lol
    • 727 posts
    October 26, 2023 2:04 AM PDT
    Did you crack yourself up? Should we go crazy and shake some keys ;-)
    • 80 posts
    October 26, 2023 1:04 PM PDT
    Would you?
    • 173 posts
    October 27, 2023 1:48 AM PDT
    StoneFish said: I trust the people doing the work at VR. One of my all time favorite quotes. 'The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we have always done it this way" ' -Grace Hopper On the wall over her desk, she hung a clock going counter-clockwise to remind the hardheaded that because something was done one way in the past is no reason why it can’t be done a better way In the future. Please enjoy a clip of this genius at nearly 80 years old visiting Dave Letterman in 1986 https://youtu.be/oE2uls6iIEU?si=XrESIqSboG4I0Nr1
    Great quote! Man, I love a StoneFish thread. You always put a smile on my face. Thanks, Mr. Fish sealed
    • 11 posts
    November 6, 2023 5:20 PM PST

I've met Grace Hopper.  If she was still around, she could sort VR out.

• 727 posts
    November 12, 2023 12:22 PM PST
    squid said:

What!?!, awesome, spill please, details. And yes, having a career leader with experience motivating teams who are creating new things would be a blessing. Please share how you got to meet someone who's name will echo through history.
    • 167 posts
    November 12, 2023 3:07 PM PST
    I still have faith in VR. I don't know how far I would go with the word trust, though. I "trust" that they will do what is best for themselves in long run, but I have faith/hope that they will also try to do what is best for the community and game as a whole. That's the main reason I backed this project.
    • 727 posts
    November 12, 2023 6:27 PM PST
    FYI "faith" is synonymous with the word "trust" . Anyhoo, I just want to encourage peeps to be supportive, even if we can't send more cash along. I would love to get to a point where I could gain the privilege to help design a quest, and I have been buying all the lottery tickets I can afford, so far nothing, it's almost like the lottery is gambling, but I have hope.
    • 11 posts
    November 13, 2023 5:00 AM PST

StoneFish said:
    squid said:

What!?!, awesome, spill please, details. And yes, having a career leader with experience motivating teams who are creating new things would be a blessing. Please share how you got to meet someone who's name will echo through history.

Young me was in the military attending military college.  She was invited to give a lecture about computers and the military.  Afterward, the 40ish students in 3rd and 4th year got to meet and chat with her in a smaller setting.  She was very cool.

• 727 posts
    November 13, 2023 6:18 AM PST
    "she was very cool". Made my day, thanks for sharing.