Forums » News and Announcements

A Sad and Tragic Farewell to Medawky

• VR Staff
    • 104 posts
    August 1, 2023 2:59 PM PDT

It is with great sorrow that we inform our community that Jason Bolton, also known as Medawky, passed away Saturday, July 29th, 2023, after being critically injured in a vehicle accident Wednesday.

Jason was a beloved husband, son, father of two, and friend to hundreds. The compassion he showed in his day-to-day life, he also showed in the games he played. He cared about people and took genuine interest in them. He helped people in his work with Emergency Services; he helped Pantheon fans in his role in Customer Service with Visionary Realms; and he was the kind of person to drop everything for someone in need. If you were playing a game and were about to quit in frustration, you would soon get a message from Medawky: “I’m on my way.” He looked out for people, and even after his passing, he continues to help others as an organ donor. He was a hero.

Jason made you feel at home, wherever you were. Our home is a little smaller now without our Emotional Support Ogre, but it is filled with wonderful memories he made for us. He will be sorely missed but will always be remembered. Rest in peace, dear friend.

We wanted to add this statement from his wife as she knew how important this community was to Jason:

Jason was in a major car accident July 26th and was airlifted to San Jose where he was put on life support. He was declared brain dead July 29th and we started the organ donor process. Jason had elected to donate all his organs and tissues. He could potentially save up to 8 lives with his organs and improve the lives of up to 75 people through his tissue donation. They are checking viability of his organs, prepping his body, and finding matches now. If you know Jason, you know that this gift to others is exactly in line with who he is and the generosity he has always shown others.

He spoke about his friends in game and friends on the VR team often. His face lit up when he talked about it. He was so proud to play a part in bringing the game to fruition. Thank you all for the outpouring of love for Jason.

This post was edited by Savanja at August 1, 2023 3:58 PM PDT
    • 61 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:14 PM PDT

Sad to hear. Jason will be missed :( 

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and co-workers

This post was edited by Dosi at August 1, 2023 7:19 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:16 PM PDT

Terrible news. Best wishes for his family.

• 5 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:20 PM PDT
    Very sad. Rest in peace, Jason.
    • 9 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:20 PM PDT

My condolances to the VR team and Jason's Family. 

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:33 PM PDT

This was posted on Discord so I wanted to share it. A classic Medawky moment and proof he was a time traveler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHuPTvyYxM&ab_channel=BazgrimTV

• 560 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:42 PM PDT

Sad news. My condolances to his freinds and family.

• 114 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:48 PM PDT
    My heart breaks at hearing this. My thoughts are with VR, our community, his friends and family... Rest well, my friend. You were one of a kind, and will not be forgotten.
    • 58 posts
    August 1, 2023 3:54 PM PDT

Oh my gosh, this is so surprising and gutting. =( I'll forever miss the Emotional Support Ogre. =(

• 839 posts
    August 1, 2023 4:11 PM PDT
    Oh my gosh, this is heartbreaking news, his poor family :(
    • 182 posts
    August 1, 2023 5:06 PM PDT

I am completely shocked and saddened by this news. I had the great fortune of working with Jason for many years as a developer on Pantheon and got to know him quite well. In fact, he and his wife visited me here in Indiana several years ago. We toured the Indiana University campus nearby, which is torture to a lifelong University of Kentucky fan, but I had to do it! We had a nice dinner and spent time socializing and getting to know each other better. He and I shared many common goals in life and he had a passion for adapting technology to make the world a better place. Even long after I officially left the project, and my Skype inbox dwindled down to a sad, empty existence, every once in a while Jason would check in and ask how I was doing. Just because he was that kind of caring person. He'd let me know how life was treating him as well, and was always positive. Sometimes he would ramdomly just text me to tell me Indiana basketball didn't look completely awful this season, but Kentucky would still dominate :) 

Even sadder, this makes 3 great people that I worked with and got to know on a personal level on the Pantheon team to have had their lives tragically cut short. The Pantheon team is like an extended family, and to those working tirelessly on a project that they are passionate and committed to, not just for themselves, but to provide that same joy to others, it just doesn't seem fair.

Jason had his own great family who he cared for tremendously. My condolences go out to them and to the team at Visionary Realms. RIP Medawky.

This post was edited by zippyzee at August 1, 2023 5:09 PM PDT
    • 122 posts
    August 1, 2023 5:12 PM PDT

So sad to hear ='(  Rest in Peace Jason, Medawky.  His voice on stream always had a soothing quality to it, like getting a hug from an old friend.

• 1 posts
    August 1, 2023 5:15 PM PDT

A sad day all around. Condolences to Medawky's family, colleagues and friends. Many lives will forever be affected by this loss.  

• 2045 posts
    August 1, 2023 7:07 PM PDT

So sorry to hear this.

His good deeds will be remembered long after the hurt of his passing has receded.

• 1 posts
    August 1, 2023 9:43 PM PDT

I am devastated to hear the news about Jason. He was an incredible person and this is truly heartbreaking. My condolences go out to his family during this difficult time.

• 2 posts
    August 2, 2023 12:52 AM PDT

This news is very sad, it is difficult to find words to comfort the grief of the family and all Pantheon fans.

• 3 posts
    August 2, 2023 1:46 AM PDT

My condolances to his family and friends. RIP man.

• 3852 posts
    August 2, 2023 3:51 AM PDT

May the peace be with you.

• 34 posts
    August 2, 2023 4:51 AM PDT

RIP :(

He was a bright light~

• 248 posts
    August 2, 2023 4:59 AM PDT

Such sad news. My condolances to his family and friends.

-sorte.

• 902 posts
    August 2, 2023 6:17 AM PDT

Peace and love.

• 768 posts
    August 2, 2023 11:03 AM PDT

My condolences to the family and close friends. I do believe that this Pantheon community stands as one behind those that are staying behind in silence. 

No doubt we'll see him return in the Pantheon world in some fashion. 

Lot's of strength to all who need it.

• 258 posts
    August 2, 2023 4:39 PM PDT

This made me cry. My condolences to the family and his friends. Rest in peace. <3

• 27 posts
    August 3, 2023 5:44 PM PDT

Condolences to his family and friends. May he be ever felt through the ripples he created in the lives he touched.

This post was edited by Kaeraniik at August 3, 2023 5:46 PM PDT
    • 86 posts
    August 5, 2023 10:15 AM PDT

Very sorry to hear, may he rest in peace.