Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Climbing and falling

• 724 posts
    April 14, 2023 11:11 AM PDT

In Zelda BOTW the climbing is perfect.  They nailed it.  One of these things I enjoy is the near moment when you are 99% put of stamina and can still make that final leap, the event of reaching the ability to stand up being the success.  Even when you seem to view an empty stamina gauge that 1/10 of a second can just barely be the difference between perceived success and perceived failure.   The effect is never feeling shorted or robbed.  If I fall I'm quite sure it was because of the goat I sacrificed to the video game gods last week being insufficient to please them.  Stupid goat. 

• 3852 posts
    April 14, 2023 11:23 AM PDT

I am content if they have jumping and climbing challenges for those that enjoy them - as long as they never "gate" significant content behind player (not character) reflexes, vision, hearing and internet connextion speed. I left one MMO that I won't mention - permanently - because a significant amount of content required jumping skill to get to and it had to be done solo - no way to get a friend with better reflexes to do it for you.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 14, 2023 11:23 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    April 14, 2023 2:03 PM PDT

Good point.  I would be pleased to see jumps that could not be made without some aid type. Either a spell, rope, skill or charmed equipment, etc.   If a vanilla build average everybody couldn't do it naked but relying upon a skilled group mate would suffice in getting the bare bottomed lunatic across.......I'm good and happy with that.  

• 810 posts
    April 15, 2023 6:14 AM PDT

dorotea said:

I am content if they have jumping and climbing challenges for those that enjoy them - as long as they never "gate" significant content behind player (not character) reflexes, vision, hearing and internet connextion speed. I left one MMO that I won't mention - permanently - because a significant amount of content required jumping skill to get to and it had to be done solo - no way to get a friend with better reflexes to do it for you.

This is what group play should be for. 

I am fully on board with them gating the content for some super difficult climb to the group, just not every player.  The daredevil climber stands out more when they lower down a rope.  Crazy jump mechanics then power on a magic bridge.  The shortcut stuff works too for there to be a long way around in many cases as well, but I don't think a player check for a single PC is out of line, I agree in not forcing everyone to do this kind of stuff though.

Lastly I always loved CotH to summon players in EQ.  It was such a fantastic spell to help people get through annoying stuff.  Really great class identity too.  Fingers crossed summoners can use it to assist when things just don't work out how they should. 

This post was edited by Jobeson at April 15, 2023 6:15 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    April 16, 2023 12:07 PM PDT

Jobeson said:

Lastly I always loved CotH to summon players in EQ.  It was such a fantastic spell to help people get through annoying stuff.  Really great class identity too.  Fingers crossed summoners can use it to assist when things just don't work out how they should. 

I hope that a CoTH spell is not available.  Sure, it helped an individual get to a group deep in a dungeon, but it equally allowed entire guilds to move raids across zones to bypass content.  There would need to be a significant mana cost and a significant cooldown such that it is useful to move one person to a group but not useful to move more than that.

• 724 posts
    April 16, 2023 6:09 PM PDT

I completely agree with Vandraad on this point.  The summon should be taxed in some way to discourage abuse temptation.