Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In-Game Crafting: What's Your Side Hustle?

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    April 3, 2023 2:06 PM PDT

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is currently on a tear right now, adding gathering and crafting content to pre-alpha at impressive speed (thank you, Nephele!). While we wait for the ability to skin, mine, and gather our free time away, what is the ultimate in-game side hustle? Are you a player that works the broker with sly market manipulation or are you a busy bee, vendoring all your little crafts? Let us know how you would like to utilize crafting!

• 2419 posts
    April 3, 2023 2:12 PM PDT

Savanja said:

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is currently on a tear right now, adding gathering and crafting content to pre-alpha at impressive speed (thank you, Nephele!). While we wait for the ability to skin, mine, and gather our free time away, what is the ultimate in-game side hustle? Are you a player that works the broker with sly market manipulation or are you a busy bee, vendoring all your little crafts? Let us know how you would like to utilize crafting!

Market PvP is fun and very rewarding and an activity I always engage in at every opportunity.  For tradeskills, I'm mostly into consumables (food, drink, alchemy) as 1) there is always demand; 2) there are benefits (stats/effects) to be gained through their use; and 3) food/drink fits with my former profession of chef while Alchemy is part and parcel of being as Shaman.

• 3852 posts
    April 3, 2023 2:37 PM PDT

While I spend a lot of time crafting in MMOs I spend more time harvesting - and enjoy both. Unlike many I rarely make things to sell on the broker - I typically craft for my own characters (and I typically have many) as well as for guildmates and friends. I will frequently sell harvested materials - easy to get materials in bulk (once a game is mature rich players will often spend quite a lot to get materials to level crafting for alts) or rare materials (Vanguard ultra-rares for example) for a reasonably high price.

I do not, ever, work on market manipulation though I occasionally will buy materials priced well below market for resale. I simply list what I am selling a bit below anyone else's listing and go for a fast sale at a reasonable price. 

Unlike Vandraad I avoid consumables. In a mature game they tend to become commodity items and sell for not much above cost. Sometimes below cost as people dump what they have made to skill-up. I may not even craft them for my own characters - I will buy on the market at close-to-cost and save the time.

But I will - in any MMO I put time into - have all the crafts and maximize them all whether I have a plan to use them or not. Having every craft maxed out is just ...what I do.

• 438 posts
    April 3, 2023 3:15 PM PDT
    Usually wait until I see what makes the most in game money before I dedicate some time to it. Enchanting in WoW as an example made me a lot of gold.
    • 102 posts
    April 3, 2023 5:22 PM PDT

Well Dorotea certainly took the wind out of my sails :*(. Potions/Food was a big one because I plan to play a healer, having those handy for the group would make me feel like a super support player. But if we had a secondary, i'd say armorcrafting for whatever healer im playing...most like leatherworker as I'm leaning towards druid. Though I do like synergy between crafts if there is any to be had.

• 2050 posts
    April 3, 2023 6:39 PM PDT

As an altaholic, I'll find great reward in making weapons that all of my many characters can use and leather armor that most of my characters can wear. When my team of alts outgrows any crafted gear, I'll give it away to friends, guildies or newbs in the starter towns.

In past games I crafted a bit to sell, but the abundance of players who keep playing 'Cutthroat Capitalism' long after they have more money than they'll ever spend has convinced me to follow a different path.

I'll craft for free, for anyone who asks, as long as I have the supplies to make what they need. In return, I'll ask for donations of crafting mats. While it won't earn more money than I know what to do with, my expectation is that it will bring me more friends than I have time to group with. Which I consider to be a much greater profit.

Brutenga said: Potions/Food was a big one because I plan to play a healer, having those handy for the group would make me feel like a super support player. But if we had a secondary, i'd say armorcrafting for whatever healer im playing...most like leatherworker as I'm leaning towards druid.

Making armor for a healer who shows up with food/drink/potions to benefit our group adventures is definitely a synergy I support :)

This post was edited by Jothany at April 3, 2023 6:46 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    April 3, 2023 7:22 PM PDT

I would enjoy the ability to craft quality arrows and/or bows, but with a  style as unique as possible on the server.  They don't have to be the best because I'm confident I couldn't dedicate the time to make the best item but a good item that can be used often and is sturdy and colorful or pretty.  I hope there are some crafting techniques that allow some risk for a cosmetic reward.  It may not pack a huge punch but it looks good doing it.  It can be traded and passed down and it begins to have its own story.  Something that has to be made with items that are gathered in a dangerous area and those resources serve no purpose of utility but only for the beatification of the item.  A flower that grows only on the seaward and steep side of the mountain.  The flower is also used in cooking and the dish made is valued, so that is 99% of the use of that flower.  Only a fool would use the flower for the decorative accent of a bow. I wish to be that fool.  

Day to day I'll be making consumables for everyone, I'm a halfling ranger after all. Nothing fancy, big quantities of the essential items in my pockets heading out, empty the pockets while adventuring and come back with the bootie.  

• 326 posts
    April 3, 2023 8:15 PM PDT

I stock up my wife with all manner of materials and she sells them. 

• 520 posts
    April 4, 2023 11:17 AM PDT

I'm mainly harvesting in the meantime of doing proper adventuring or when i dont have much time to play. I never was much of a crafter, but I usually  take on alchemist path as potions are usefull both for myself and for everyone else - always.

• 3852 posts
    April 4, 2023 12:08 PM PDT

Brutenga - food and consumables are a very popular crafting choice and my opinion is in the minority so don't worry about it. For alts and friends it is very useful to be able to give them food and potions instead of saying "go buy them they aren't that expensive". Even for sale they are a popular choice for endgame crafting when gear typically is not as good as people can get adventuring (but note that Nephele says it may not work that way in Pantheon) but everyone needs consumables is great quantities.

"I stock up my wife with all manner of materials"

This sounds *very* interesting though the relevance to crafting is unclear (chuckles).

• 326 posts
    April 4, 2023 8:21 PM PDT

"This sounds *very* interesting though the relevance to crafting is unclear (chuckles)."

crafters buy mats, we all win

• 810 posts
    April 4, 2023 11:08 PM PDT
    Side hustle? You mean I am not supposed to just hoard everything just in case?
    • 173 posts
    April 5, 2023 4:40 AM PDT

Jobeson said: Side hustle? You mean I am not supposed to just hoard everything just in case?

OMG… I’m such a HOARDER. I keep way too much because I just might pick up leatherworking or jewelcrafting or… but most likely I’ll give up on any crafting way too soon.

I usually harvest resources. I like to find out what resources friends or guildmates really need and then surprise them with a stack of them when we are out on a random adventure.

Jothany said: In past games I crafted a bit to sell, but the abundance of players who keep playing 'Cutthroat Capitalism' long after they have more money than they'll ever spend has convinced me to follow a different path.

In past games I have used the market to buy low and sell medium to get quick money. It often ends up being addictive to me and I spend way too much time doing it. At the end of the road I regret all the time I spent doing it when I could have had fun adventures instead.

• 2050 posts
    April 5, 2023 12:40 PM PDT

NegativeNRG said: I usually harvest resources.

In past games I have used the market to buy low and sell medium to get quick money. It often ends up being addictive to me and I spend way too much time doing it. At the end of the road I regret all the time I spent doing it when I could have had fun adventures instead.

I can totally relate to addictive behavior LoL. I almost never get to bed when I wanted to because it's so hard to turn off the internet :)

I don't believe what you engaged in is really what lead me to quite crafting for market. I certainly crafted to make a profit for myself. What became a 'game' I didn't want to play was market manipulators who would consistently put up for sale the exact item I had for sale, at just slightly lower price. As soon as I would take the item off the market, they would raise their price astronomically. It was a clear intention to drive out any competition.

If I had wished to play 'PvP Marketing', I would do it on a PvP server. So I quit marketing.

• 3852 posts
    April 5, 2023 5:09 PM PDT

NegativeNRG as a dedicated harvester I can more than sympathize with your warcry. FOR THE HOARD!!!

• 173 posts
    April 6, 2023 6:15 AM PDT

Jothany said:
    What became a 'game' I didn't want to play was market manipulators who would consistently put up for sale the exact item I had for sale, at just slightly lower price. As soon as I would take the item off the market, they would raise their price astronomically. It was a clear intention to drive out any competition.

If I had wished to play 'PvP Marketing', I would do it on a PvP server. So I quit marketing.

I would match their price and a few hours later they would drop their price a little below mine. This seems to be the market norm. I countered it by dropping my prices a little below them. This cycle repeated over and over. It just ended up being a stupid war.

I don’t plan to get much involved in market manipulation in Pantheon. Good for me and good for the people that want to get involved in it... one less competitor.

My goal in Pantheon will be to focus on earning items and trading or gifting items/resources to friends, guildmates, and noobs. Yes, I can earn all the gold I want in the market, but I would rather develop stronger relationships with friends and guildmates.

• 2050 posts
    April 9, 2023 9:34 AM PDT

NegativeNRG said:

My goal in Pantheon will be to focus on earning items and trading or gifting items/resources to friends, guildmates, and noobs. Yes, I can earn all the gold I want in the market, but I would rather develop stronger relationships with friends and guildmates.

Totally agree.

VR has said that they plan to build interdependency between crafters of different schools. Not to require more than one crafter to make anything useful, but to give us an opportunity to work together to create really superlative items. I look forward to such trade and mutual benefit.

• 3852 posts
    April 9, 2023 11:40 AM PDT

History tells us that several things almost never survive more than a few years in a MMO. One is factions that are truly hostile to eachother (no mail between factions, no grouping outside your faction, no shared bank available to alts in different factions, separate brokers and the like). Another is crafting that promotes interdependance and requires multiple crafts to work together to make the best items, or even multiple accounts so that one account cannot be independant no manner how many crafting characters it has. But at my age it would be insanely optimistic to worry about how Pantheon will look after an expansion or two.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 9, 2023 11:40 AM PDT
    • 810 posts
    April 18, 2023 6:06 PM PDT

dorotea said:

History tells us that several things almost never survive more than a few years in a MMO. ...  Another is crafting that promotes interdependance and requires multiple crafts to work together to make the best items, or even multiple accounts so that one account cannot be independant no manner how many crafting characters it has.

I am a firm believer in the same.  Scarcity in resources and logistics has worked in MMOs that use it for a proper economy, but I have never seen the proposed interdependence system work well.  It is usually very minor bonuses making it effectively meaningless or it is pretty much mandatory to get help and seen as a pain. 

I would rather see a complex system in crafting the rarest of items only.  A simple sword doesn't need to be more complex to annoy people, but the super rare epic crafted sword in the fire giants forge under the mountain may need 3 crafters and a group to protect them during the process.

Back on point though, I try to pick anything that gives me utility.  I don't care to make gear or one off items that quickly get replaced in pretty much every MMO.  The clicky item that lets you dash or parachute or whatever is always useful.  I won't make money from any side hustle, but I will have fun and gain a new ability to have fun with.