Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

New South Korean Game?

• 3852 posts
    January 14, 2019 8:14 AM PST

From Massively Overpowered:

“Astellia Online is a Classical MMORPG striving to return the genre to its roots. That is not to say it is a remake of what has been done before, but instead, a tribute to the original tenants of the MMORPG Phenomena combined with innovation and promise. Set in a vibrant fantasy world, Astellians are heroes blessed by the stars to call upon magical allies known as Astells. Each Astellian is charged with protecting the innocents of the world, a task that will take them through the darkest dungeons and across countless battlefields.”

Supposedly in beta in Korea now and planned for release in the West this year. 

I have had little luck with Asian MMOs (even hated Wizardry Online when a Japanese company tried it and I spent endless time playing every single single player Wizardry) but this one at least is saying some of the right things. I haven't looked into it - too soon to care - and it may be all pvp or anime - but something to at least briefly to go on my list of games to vaguely keep an eye on for what to do while waiting for Pantheon.

Sounds as if they plan a system of rental housing - or maybe a translation issue and they meant tenets where they said tenants.

This post was edited by dorotea at January 14, 2019 8:15 AM PST
    • 12 posts
    January 14, 2019 8:20 AM PST

Looking at the first youtube video I see, I wonder what roots they are returning to? It's not a western mmo. Characters being genderlocked sounds like diablo. The powerlevel of people compared to monsters seem akin to diablo as well, allthough I suspect that Diablo3 mobs might actually be harder in 120+ rifts

This post was edited by Revox at January 14, 2019 8:21 AM PST
    • 422 posts
    January 14, 2019 9:41 AM PST

Reminds me of TERA. Or maybe mabinogi / vindictus. It's looking like an action RPG to me.

• 3852 posts
    January 15, 2019 8:17 AM PST

More in today's Massively Overpowered. Looks far inferior to Pantheon - but so does everything *else* out there - which is why we are *here*.

They are working to remove gender locking for the Western market.

• 422 posts
    January 15, 2019 8:28 AM PST

The gender locking doesn't really bother me honestly. I know it is a big deal for some. This game might be on my radar for a time waster until Pantheon. It looks like it could be good.