Forums » The Summoner

Pet activated vs Summoner activated abilities

• 12 posts
    January 4, 2019 4:01 AM PST

In Mr. Happy's recent stream & thoughts on Pantheon from his experiences with PA4, he mentioned that players have a battle bar which can only hold 12 spells that they will be able to take into combat, and that a major part of playing this game is deciding which spells to equip, and what rank of each, as mana management is going to be something you will need to pay attention to once again.

So looking at the spell list for Summoners got me wondering, will the spells listed under each Arcamental on the Summoner page be contained in their own separate pet hotbars like in WoW? Or will this only be true for the "Pet activated" abilities, which are (presumably) the base abilities automatically used by your Arcamentals in battle whenever possible?

If I had to guess, I'm thinking that "Summoner activated" means that it will require the associated Arcamental(s) to be active, but otherwise will be considered a Summoner ability and will therefore need to be slotted into your battle hotbar from the Summoner spellbook.

• 39 posts
    January 4, 2019 9:41 AM PST

The Druid is also set to have a pet companian, and on one of the streams in November? It shows the pet abilities on the main bar.  

That being said, the actually pet hasn't been implemented into the game yet - but the abilities were still usable. So maybe that's subject to change just to avoid to confusion in pre-alpha?  

From what I see right now though, pet abilities are taking up your main bar also. Maybe someone can prove me wrong if they know any different?

This post was edited by JimmyEcho at January 4, 2019 9:41 AM PST
    • 141 posts
    January 4, 2019 2:39 PM PST

Not that anything is set in stone but I think for Druids they aren't truly pet abilities. The "pet" is a part of the visual of the spell, but it is still actually a druid ability. Either way, I don't think there is enough information out there yet to tell if pets will have their own action bar or not. I assume there will be pet action bars, or at least there will be a set of pet commands even if they don't use bar slots. 

• 12 posts
    January 4, 2019 3:22 PM PST

The reason I'm asking is that if pets are planned to have their own hotbars like in WoW then that would mean that pet classes would be able to take more than 12 abilities into combat, which might not sound very fair.

In the case of the Summoner, I'm thinking that making "Summoner activated" Arcamental abilities part of their spellbook like the Druid's Hirode abilities might actually add an additional twist to learning how to play a Summoner well - as in, you not only have to know which Arcamental to have active, but also which of the spells associated with your chosen summon are most useful to equip for various bosses, group configurations, etc.

This post was edited by jfrombaugh at January 4, 2019 3:23 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    January 9, 2019 10:48 PM PST

i played a summoner in everquest. and the pets were a huge part of your attacks and def so they did take up spell spots. plus buffs you had for them also took up spots but as your class states summoner  you will and must depended largely on your pet. 

• 8 posts
    January 20, 2019 12:35 PM PST

I think the pets themselves will probably be a part of the stance bar thats located above the main bar of some classes, but their active abilities will be a part of your main 12 slot bar. So you can swap between your pets as needed but the pet you swap to may not have any active abilities available to it if you didn't put them on your hotbar because you didn't think youd be using that pet. This is just my thoughts sort of based off of the Druid gameplay which is the closest we've seen to a pet class. They had Hirode's Shelter(reduced threat generation on target) as part of the stance set with Hirodes Flame (a heal) being part of the main hotbar.

This post was edited by Serillen at January 20, 2019 12:36 PM PST
    • 455 posts
    January 25, 2019 5:54 AM PST

Serillen said: This is just my thoughts sort of based off of the Druid gameplay which is the closest we've seen to a pet class. They had Hirode's Shelter(reduced threat generation on target) as part of the stance set with Hirodes Flame (a heal) being part of the main hotbar.

This is because Hirode is not a real pet, it's really just a flavour spell effect for certain spells. Hirode cannot attack or be attacked. He just hangs out and when you use certain abilities he runs over and does a visual animation that represents the effect of that ability. Basically it's a druid version of a 'Familiar'.

The same is true for the Ranger 'pet' type abilities. The Ranger doesn't actually get pets, but rather the spell effects for certain abilities will be visually a pet appearing and acting out the actions representing that ability.

Shamans and Summoners on the other hand will have full fledged Pets that have their own abilities that they either cast on their own, or the player asks the Pet to cast when he chooses.

I obviously don't know the answer to the OP in regards to if the 'Summoner Activated' abilities of the Pet will be part of the Summoners personal hotbar or a special Pet hotbar. But if I were to guess, I would think that VR will use a Pet hotbar.

It's quite possible that your Pet abilities will be aquired just like your own abilities are, through adventuring and such. So it's possible that over time you could get a collection of useful Pet abilities for all your pets, and then may be required to pick and choose which of those abilities are on the Pet's own limited hotbar. Even the 'auto-cast' abilities your pet has might need to be pre-selected and placed on the Pet's limited hotbar. So you could potentially fill your Pet's bar with all Auto-cast abilities, meaning less micro-management from you. Or you could choose to fill your Pet's bar with all 'player activated' abilities, thus being much more micro-management intensive.

Just my guesses.

• 2154 posts
    January 25, 2019 3:53 PM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Serillen said: This is just my thoughts sort of based off of the Druid gameplay which is the closest we've seen to a pet class. They had Hirode's Shelter(reduced threat generation on target) as part of the stance set with Hirodes Flame (a heal) being part of the main hotbar.

This is because Hirode is not a real pet, it's really just a flavour spell effect for certain spells. Hirode cannot attack or be attacked. He just hangs out and when you use certain abilities he runs over and does a visual animation that represents the effect of that ability. Basically it's a druid version of a 'Familiar'.

Hirode spells will be cast by Hirode, not just animated through it. So a druid can cast two spells at the same time so long as one of them is a Hirode based spell. 

• 13 posts
    January 30, 2019 6:12 AM PST

Honestly if this in a way resembles what we have seen with the Necromancer pet class in DAOC this will be my absolute main. Even if its a mix of summoner abilities with abilities done through the pet but is activated by the player i'd still love to see it in action.

• 455 posts
    February 3, 2019 8:43 PM PST

Iksar said: Hirode spells will be cast by Hirode, not just animated through it. So a druid can cast two spells at the same time so long as one of them is a Hirode based spell.

Has this been shown in any way? or did you just release VIP information? There is no evidence yet to suggest that the druid and Hirode can both be casting at the same time. You may be right, but unless you have inside information behind the NDA you can't know this for sure yet.

The point I was making is that Hirode is not controlled outside of the abilities that have a positional componant. Once obtained Hirode is always present like a familiar and is not a summoned creature that you can send to attack. It's even listed as a 'Passive Ability' of the druids. All animations that make him move in any way are linked to an Ability.

You may still be right that his abilities can be cast without triggering a Global Cooldown for the Druids personal abilities, thus allowing 2 spells at the same time. We just haven't seen any evidence to prove this yet.

In the Druid stream by @Sarcoth we asked about Hirode and why we didn't see him and Joppa said (25:51 - 26:27) that some of the abilities were there and being used on the druids hotbar, but they just had not made any animations for them yet. This would suggest that Hirode himself is just an animation and not a true pet in any way.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at February 3, 2019 8:49 PM PST
    • 2154 posts
    February 4, 2019 12:02 PM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Iksar said: Hirode spells will be cast by Hirode, not just animated through it. So a druid can cast two spells at the same time so long as one of them is a Hirode based spell.

Has this been shown in any way? or did you just release VIP information? There is no evidence yet to suggest that the druid and Hirode can both be casting at the same time. You may be right, but unless you have inside information behind the NDA you can't know this for sure yet.

Wish Joppa's posts weren't private so I could search for it. I can't find where he confirmed it but I know it was a thread where people were looking down on druid after the reveal as though they looked like secondary healers and it was mentioned that people were overlooking the fact that druid can perform two actions in combat simultaneously thanks to hirode.