Forums » The Summoner

Pet activated vs Summoner activated abilities

• 12 posts
    January 4, 2019 4:01 AM PST

In Mr. Happy's recent stream & thoughts on Pantheon from his experiences with PA4, he mentioned that players have a battle bar which can only hold 12 spells that they will be able to take into combat, and that a major part of playing this game is deciding which spells to equip, and what rank of each, as mana management is going to be something you will need to pay attention to once again.

So looking at the spell list for Summoners got me wondering, will the spells listed under each Arcamental on the Summoner page be contained in their own separate pet hotbars like in WoW? Or will this only be true for the "Pet activated" abilities, which are (presumably) the base abilities automatically used by your Arcamentals in battle whenever possible?

If I had to guess, I'm thinking that "Summoner activated" means that it will require the associated Arcamental(s) to be active, but otherwise will be considered a Summoner ability and will therefore need to be slotted into your battle hotbar from the Summoner spellbook.

• 35 posts
    January 4, 2019 9:41 AM PST

The Druid is also set to have a pet companian, and on one of the streams in November? It shows the pet abilities on the main bar.  

That being said, the actually pet hasn't been implemented into the game yet - but the abilities were still usable. So maybe that's subject to change just to avoid to confusion in pre-alpha?  

From what I see right now though, pet abilities are taking up your main bar also. Maybe someone can prove me wrong if they know any different?

This post was edited by JimmyEcho at January 4, 2019 9:41 AM PST
    • 141 posts
    January 4, 2019 2:39 PM PST

Not that anything is set in stone but I think for Druids they aren't truly pet abilities. The "pet" is a part of the visual of the spell, but it is still actually a druid ability. Either way, I don't think there is enough information out there yet to tell if pets will have their own action bar or not. I assume there will be pet action bars, or at least there will be a set of pet commands even if they don't use bar slots. 

• 12 posts
    January 4, 2019 3:22 PM PST

The reason I'm asking is that if pets are planned to have their own hotbars like in WoW then that would mean that pet classes would be able to take more than 12 abilities into combat, which might not sound very fair.

In the case of the Summoner, I'm thinking that making "Summoner activated" Arcamental abilities part of their spellbook like the Druid's Hirode abilities might actually add an additional twist to learning how to play a Summoner well - as in, you not only have to know which Arcamental to have active, but also which of the spells associated with your chosen summon are most useful to equip for various bosses, group configurations, etc.

This post was edited by jfrombaugh at January 4, 2019 3:23 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    January 9, 2019 10:48 PM PST

i played a summoner in everquest. and the pets were a huge part of your attacks and def so they did take up spell spots. plus buffs you had for them also took up spots but as your class states summoner  you will and must depended largely on your pet.