Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

PC graphics and systems in Pantheon.

• 135 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:51 AM PST

With Pantheon graphics what do you guys think will preform well?

Looking at getting a new pc for Pantheon.

Graphics cards.

What affordable  graphics cards do you think will preform well?

From what ive read Amd looks like a good option. 

Nvidia 1060?

Amd 580?

1080Ti i know is great might be over my range. 

Processor Intel or Amd?

I plan on going with a ssd. 

What Pc brands  do you guys have and are happy with?

This post was edited by Kiera at January 3, 2019 12:57 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    January 3, 2019 1:20 PM PST

I'd recommend waiting a while before building/buying a gaming PC, especially if it's for Pantheon. I doubt that it's going to be very intensive, but if you're building on a budget it doesn't hurt to wait a while if there's nothing else you're needing a new gaming PC for at the moment. RAM and GPU prices have been all over the place recently, particularly due to manufacturing shortages (or conspiring between manufacturers in the case of RAM) and the cryptocurrency mining craze.

If you're building on a budget, I personally recommend going for AMD for both CPU and GPU (especially since their new CPUs will be hitting the market this year). They typically have the best price/performance ratio and that would also mean you'd be able to get a new monitor eventually that supports FreeSync without having to pay for the premium that comes with Nvidia's version of it.

If you're adventerous, I'd recommend taking the jump and learning to build your own PC. It can be a little daunting at first, but it's very much so worth it and is not as difficult as it might seem. Doing so (usually) results in some nice savings. However, if you'd rather not build your own PC, then getting a pre-built is fine but do your own research. Personally, I'd go with CyberPower PC if I was going to get a pre-built (but I never will since I like building my own computers). They have the best prices, but just keep in mind that their support is almost non-existent, so if you're expecting that with your PC then you should look elsewhere, but be prepared to pay more.

• 15 posts
    January 3, 2019 2:32 PM PST

As Sicario said if this computer is for Pantheon, wait. Prices for RAM are very high and should be falling and AMD should be coming out with their new CPUs very soon which will decrease current prices or you can jump on the new hardware. Hopefully AMD will be coming out with the new GPUs this year as well (navi) which will help GPU prices as well.

If you're going to get a computere here's my 2 cents.

If truly on a budget and only looking to game at the 1080 range, you might be able to make due with a Ryzen with integrated Vega graphics - Ryzen 3 2200G - https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Radeon-Graphics/dp/B079D3DBNM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546553947&sr=1-2&keywords=AMD+Ryzen+3

If you're able to build it youself, the APU, motherbord, power supply, 16 gigs memory, HDD (SSD really), and case will probably be around $600 (save money if you can reuse power supply, hard drive, and case oc)

If you're able to go toward the $1000 range, you can consider a Ryzen 5 2600 and an RX 590 (1080-1440 monitor) or Vega 56 (1440-2k monitor). (get a gpu that has two large fans and not the single blower for less noise)

I'm not a fan of nVidia and their business practices. A GeForce 1060 should do fine though.

I'll plug my favorite computer case here too - Fractal Design R5 - http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black

This post was edited by KiameV at January 3, 2019 2:35 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    January 3, 2019 5:12 PM PST

I have a Fractal Design Define S myself, tolliner, can't really go wrong with any of their cases, they're amazing. Good recommendation.

• 135 posts
    January 4, 2019 7:36 AM PST

Thanks so much for the  tips.

As far as budget I'm hoping around 1200 i just can't go 2500 for a decent  pre built.

Building my own i agree seems the best option though its a big step.

Currently on a i3 with 8g ram it just does not have the speed I want. 

This post was edited by Kiera at January 4, 2019 1:25 PM PST
    • 124 posts
    January 11, 2019 12:14 AM PST

I like the suggestions that tolliner gave, but wouldn't opt for the 2200G but 2400G instead if you're going on a budget build. If you are building your own with parts, you may want to consider getting 2nd hand too. The parts are generally just as good but you can easily shave 100 bucks off your total budget by doing that (do not recommend getting a power supply 2nd hand tho).

In case of casings, is where i always go wrong with most people. for me a case is like a closet, its to put stuff in, it doesn't need to be fancy, it doesn't need to be lit, it just needs to function. I generally buy the cheapest case i can find that has decent build quality. (dimensions are a thing to worry about tho when going off the grid like that).

My recommendations for your budget would be (based on european prices):

• AMD Ryzen (2400G or 2600 if you can't wait with a graphics card) 170,- (take boxed editions with the wraith coolers)
    • 16GB of ram @2600mhz or higher (2 stick kit) 140,-
    • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (or equivelant) 140,-
    • Corsair RM650x (2018) full modulair powersupply gold rated 100,-
    • Samsung Evo 970 M.2 SSD 500gb 125,-

These are the base components needed to make a computer and fit your budget roughly. Which will leave you with 200 - 400 additional budget for casing (and graphics card incase you opt for the 2600).

The optionals:

• Option 1: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB 275,-
    • Option 2: MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G 300,-
    • Option 3: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G 450,-
    • Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 (60,-) aftermaket cooler
    • Seagate Firecuda 2TB 100,- (if you actually need the additional storage, i know i don't)

One side note with the B450 chipset (i do not know if it holds thru across the entire board). When using B450 or less in combination with an APU (like the 2200G and 2400G) your Graphics Card slot will always only work at x8 instead of x16. In the future if upgrading this could cause a bottleneck. Currently not as much an issue.

Reason to choose an ATX motherboard is expandibility in the future. Generally has more space to work with, which is nice for an entry level PC builder. Easily accesible RAM and M.2 slots. Aftermarket cooler suggestion is better than the wraith that comes included (however that one is good enough too to get started with). I did not suggest an AIO because of the 'complexity' that comes with it for an starter builder. 2 stick kit for memory to increase memory to 24 or 32gb at a later time, should you demand more from your system in the future. Did not go for a mainboard with onboard WiFi because that would introduce an additional factor in latency. If you feel comfortable or it is needed to fit the situation, pick another board accordingly. Reason for chosing an M.2 as main disk is simply because it doesn't require you to route additional cables, it is as plug and play as you can get.

These suggestions are simply my opinion, and that of others may vary depending on preferences, budget, market and accesibility to used parts.

• 2 posts
    January 12, 2019 5:27 AM PST

Everyones right... the entire computer landscape is changing.  For the last decade its been baby steps.  Then POW over the last six months we have seen more change and advancements in 10 years.  What you spend 1200.00 on parts today will be bargain bin trash by the time the game is released.

• 40 posts
    January 23, 2019 8:45 AM PST

Pantheon runs on Unity. Therefore, a 1060 is more than adequate for quite good graphics and framerate.

RUST runs on Unity, so I know this for a fact, because RUST uses all the Unity graphics features when set to highest graphics settings, and looks very good.

• 8 posts
    February 19, 2020 1:49 AM PST

right now all i have is a new hp laptop 17in touch screen with 12 gig ram 2 tb hd 64 bit win 10 amd ryzen 7 3700u 2.30 ghz ans a  amd radeon rx vega 10. think that will be ok? I run wow and everquest also rifts no problems

This post was edited by spec4army at February 19, 2020 1:50 AM PST
    • 844 posts
    February 19, 2020 7:47 AM PST

Pantheon is many years from any full release.

Hold your horses if it is the defining reason to build or upgrade.

Playing in Alpha and Beta will be misleading performance-wise as lot's of optimzation would take place during.

• 8 posts
    February 19, 2020 9:30 AM PST

Was just asking I'm part of alpha testing.justwnted to be sure I can test when it gets here.

• 36 posts
    February 23, 2020 9:18 AM PST
    I would go AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AMD RX 590, 16 GB 3200Mhz DDR4, 1TB Crucial SSD M.2 NVME.
    • 1860 posts
    February 23, 2020 3:34 PM PST

spec4army said:

Was just asking I'm part of alpha testing.justwnted to be sure I can test when it gets here.

The same thought process goes for alpha.  It could be another couple years still.  We dont know.  Id hold off as long as possible.

• 135 posts
    February 25, 2020 8:34 PM PST
    I built my system a few months back.

Went
    Ryzen 2700x.
    Rx 590 sapphire
    3200 ram
    Corsair 650 power supply.
    Msi tomahawk b450.
    4 arctic fans.

So far I'm happy with the system.
    The only issue I've had was one of the sticks of ram was bad and had a leak I had to remove it.
    • 8 posts
    February 26, 2020 4:00 AM PST

I was just wondering about my setup only because that's what I have . And hope it's enough to play cause then wife faction would be kos....lol

• 257 posts
    March 2, 2020 6:52 PM PST

That's a pretty good laptop. I'm sure it will run the game. The settings you will need for decent fps is still unknown. Brad said quite a few times that he didn't want the entrance barrier too high.