Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafter's Roundtable, Holiday Edition: Craftable "Fun"

• 1785 posts
    December 26, 2018 10:06 AM PST

Happy Holidays everyone! Even though we're all busy with our families (or with our loot!) that's no reason not to have a Crafter’s Roundtable! For those who haven't seen these before, Crafter's Roundtable threads are something that the stafff at Pantheon Crafters puts together on a regular basis.  We ask questions that are intended to get the community talking, and help VR see what we'd like for crafting in Pantheon.  In keeping with the holiday spirit however, today's topic is a bit lighter than usual. Check it out below!

The question:

It's holiday time, which in the real world means shopping, and traveling, and dealing with family, and boring holiday parties, and suspicious eggnog, and hoping that flu shot really worked this year. So let's escape from all that for a few minutes and think about something fun and silly - specifically, what fun or silly items would you like to be able to craft (and use) in Pantheon?

Here's what the members of our staff who could be located last week had to say. Check out their opinions, and then post your own below!

From Autherial:

Allow woodworkers to create custom signs, these signs would be used by players and guilds for any number of things. For every crafter I would like to make any type of cosmetic item, whether it be wings or a cool looking rucksack etc, this could be a general crafting profession all could do I think that would be really fun.

From Tragic:

I am not usually concerned with the silly things that can be obtained in a game; I like to have utility items that have some benefit to them. However, considering the topic of discussion I will do my best to contribute. First I would like to see crafters be able to create items that can be add-ons to armor to aid in their appearance. We could make custom dyes, guild emblems on cloaks, designs for armor and weapons to make your character look unique. Another thing I would like to see crafters make are festive items for all of the holidays. In most games, people buy all of their different holiday items from a vendor or doing a small quest, crafters, especially in the late game need a good source of income to keep their crafting going. This could be a way to maintain a solid economy while still having the festive gear that is to be provided by the game. While I am not a fan, some games do like to put in small pets and toys and there are people that just go nuts over these types of things. I am sure that there will be people like this in Pantheon so why not give them for their own gaming experience to be enhanced.

From Nephele:

Snowballs. You get a little bit of snow, pack it really good, and voila! Get a stack of them made and no one is safe.... muahaha.

In fact, I'm challenging ALL of you to a snowball fight in Thronefast after the game launches! Or, you know, water balloons, if it's summertime. Because sometimes we have to take a break from fighting monsters, solving ancient mysteries, and saving the world, and just do something silly and fun with everyone else.

Happy holidays everyone! Feel free to tell us some of your fun ideas if you'd like!

• 206 posts
    December 26, 2018 11:29 AM PST

All of those ideas are good to me. 

I think it would be cool to craft a cloning tool, so say you are leveling in a specific area, you could use the tool on an npc and take on their appearence. Maybe it has a chance to fail. 

This post was edited by Valorous1 at December 26, 2018 11:30 AM PST
    • 7 posts
    December 26, 2018 4:43 PM PST

Without going into the realm of redicilous....

Cooking - All kinds of holiday dishes could be made to have real in game benifits.  Maybe they would require ingredients that could only be harvested seasonally.  Think Eggnog, yule logs, candy canes, holiday fruit cake (to be used as a thrown weapon), so on.....

Crafting - This could be a whole plethora of things.  Household decorations (trees, presents, candles, signs, pillows, stockings, so on).   Building off what Tragic mentioned and maybe even extending it to non-seasonal accessories.  Have an extra "apperance" slot for your armor in general that you could add and extra "overlay" to your existing armor.  Things like snowey, dusty, wet, shiney, muddy.... 

How about a sled.  A mount that only works in snowy zones and only takes you in a more or less streight line down hill.  Add some fall damage based on how the ride ends.   Have healers standing by at the finish line.....   Get ready for there to be an epic sledding hill that is supper busy.    

• 768 posts
    December 27, 2018 5:50 AM PST

We already have a thread concerning banners or other signature crafts (https://www.pantheoncrafters.com/threads/shields-fronts-and-heraldry.176/)

, so I'll focus on the fluff and fun crafts in my reply.

I've enjoyed crafting seasonal items in other games.
    As long as it is linked to seasons or festivities on Terminus itself (and not real life drafts), I'ld be ok with such recipes or items. So not too Disney for me, there is plenty of alternatives that could be fun as long as you think a bit further then pumpkins, santa claus, flying baby angles and leprechauns.

I can see festive dining and beverages, based on ingredients only found at a certain time on Terminus.
    Magical anomalies could occur in a returning sequence and create some sort of magical filled bubble. This could allow for all kinds of creatures or resources. Limited to that bubble of course. This would be difficult to keep from being instanced though.

I could see towns celebrating an equinox or when several moons/stars/suns align.
    Ornaments relating to stars, moons or other celestial bodies or spirits could be made. For example special wardrobes, clothing, hats, shoes. Ribbons or flagpoles.
    Heroes or other historical events: wars, peacetimes, kings, emperors, prophets, oracles… could be celebrated.
    Depictions of these historical elements could be made in canvaspaintings, wallpaintings, sculptors, books/tomes, cards.

Entire towns could be painted in vibrant colours to celebrate the dead or the remaining victors etc. This will allow for different colours dyes, fabrics, ceremonial weapons/shields.

Dance could be a thing as wel, where players need an outfit according to the occasion. One could even go as far as to make different "dance"outfits depending on the race you're playing or the town you are in. Or both combined. This again opens up recipes and items for tailors, woodworkers, weaponsmiths, armorer...

Celebration of water elements could require fire and wooden constructions that one can set afloat on rivers, lakes, oceans. Same with wind, Flags, Banners, flagpoles, (kites?), could be made to celebrate.

With all occasions candles could be made, incense, special fires. Perhaps with different coloured flames (it is fantasy after all). Paper images or constructions could be made to place or wear as a way of showing your participation of that event. Metallic or shiny objects could be made, special rings worn or enlarged jewelry being made to place or carry.

Flower arrangements, larger wooden constructions, temporary shrines, glass ornaments or laterns could be attached to a backpack to display that you're joining in with the festivities. Flashbombs with different colours/effects could be a thing.

Then of course we have the masks, (please think outside the box here). Masks relating to actual ingame Lore characters or beasts. Gods, demi-gods, ancestral beings, monsters, foes, etc. Masks can be made out of wood, paper, fabric (combined with a hat?), metal or even a smokey-spell?. Paint could be used to wear on the body or head for temporary use. As a way to show you are relating to the occuring event. Dyes would have to be made, brushes or other tools to apply these paints on characters.

Tents could be specially made for celebrations. Actual stages where players can stand on.

• 127 posts
    January 1, 2019 3:20 PM PST

Many years back I took part in the design and programming of a crafting system for a Neverwinter Nights server. Some of the things I had the most fun working on were mechanical contraptions inspired by actual D&D adventuring gear. They weren't just silly items, but they also offered utility.

I'm not sure how much of a part tinkering will play in the setting of Terminus, but here's a couple of my favorite items:

The Mechanical Burglar, a device one can place over a lock in attempt to open it. Has a chance to break down on every use and can only open locks up to a certain level, depending on the crafter's ability. Makes whirring and clicking noises as it operates and emits a satisfying 'ping' when it successfully opens a lock.

The Automated Footpad, a wind-up toy that heads off in a straight line, making distinct, audible footsteps every few seconds. Its chief purpose is to distract guards' attention by making it seem that someone is walking down a corridor, though it can also make a useful trap-detection tool.

I also made a timed explosive, which was a trap that essentially functioned like a delayed blast fireball. The most destructive variant was used to blow up the city barracks in an RP scenario. Obviously not the kind of agency you'd want to give to players without a GM's approval, but the screen-shaking explosion and the aftermath were great for that environment (probably not so much in Pantheon where the gods aren't constantly watching over your shoulders to direct the experience :p).

This post was edited by Kaeldorn at January 1, 2019 3:21 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    January 3, 2019 12:42 AM PST

Kaeldorn said:

Many years back I took part in the design and programming of a crafting system for a Neverwinter Nights server. Some of the things I had the most fun working on were mechanical contraptions inspired by actual D&D adventuring gear. They weren't just silly items, but they also offered utility.

I'm not sure how much of a part tinkering will play in the setting of Terminus, but here's a couple of my favorite items:

The Mechanical Burglar, a device one can place over a lock in attempt to open it. Has a chance to break down on every use and can only open locks up to a certain level, depending on the crafter's ability. Makes whirring and clicking noises as it operates and emits a satisfying 'ping' when it successfully opens a lock.

The Automated Footpad, a wind-up toy that heads off in a straight line, making distinct, audible footsteps every few seconds. Its chief purpose is to distract guards' attention by making it seem that someone is walking down a corridor, though it can also make a useful trap-detection tool.

I also made a timed explosive, which was a trap that essentially functioned like a delayed blast fireball. The most destructive variant was used to blow up the city barracks in an RP scenario. Obviously not the kind of agency you'd want to give to players without a GM's approval, but the screen-shaking explosion and the aftermath were great for that environment (probably not so much in Pantheon where the gods aren't constantly watching over your shoulders to direct the experience :p).

I would say it's within reach that tinkering would be something that could come into play within this game as wel.

The remark I would have here is, those items you're referring to are not really linked to a seasonal or one-time event. As players would be able to make and use them throughout the year or their gaming carrier. So it seems more like an additional crafting skill and recipes, rather then a temporary Yey it's this time of year and I'll join in for the fun.

Still, they sound like fun and very practical things in a game. 

Nice one!!