Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Multi-Class

• 5 posts
    December 24, 2018 10:49 AM PST

Greetings,

First, Merry Christmas!  Are we going to be able to multi-class?  I always enjoyed that in D&D.  Thanks!

• 217 posts
    December 24, 2018 4:54 PM PST

Multiclassing isnt something available in the game nor planned to be, at least not at this time.

• 5 posts
    December 24, 2018 5:44 PM PST

ok, thank you!

• 74 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:05 AM PST

It is probably worth mentioning that the multi colored mana system may allow for abilities from other classes to be used. I thought you might find that interesting as a mechanic similar to multi-classing to a lesser degree.

• 230 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:27 AM PST

Prindan said:

It is probably worth mentioning that the multi colored mana system may allow for abilities from other classes to be used. I thought you might find that interesting as a mechanic similar to multi-classing to a lesser degree.

Interesting concept. But I have not heard anything like that before. Of course that doesn't mean much because I have not been following the game that long.

• 1 posts
    January 4, 2019 12:01 AM PST

Can't say I'd want to see multiclassing in the game, as interesting as it is. Balancing around multiclassing would be fairly difficult and take up quite a bit of time. My own personal worry would be that the classes would stop being unique in and lose their own identity, not to mention what they bring to the table.

• 612 posts
    January 4, 2019 7:24 AM PST

Prindan said: It is probably worth mentioning that the multi colored mana system may allow for abilities from other classes to be used. I thought you might find that interesting as a mechanic similar to multi-classing to a lesser degree.

DracoKalen said: Interesting concept. But I have not heard anything like that before. Of course that doesn't mean much because I have not been following the game that long.

So it should be stated that the Coloured mana system does not involve any way of using abilities from other classes. It mearly adds to the abilities you can already use.

In the very first Dev Stream (41:16) (from March 12, 2016) Joppa explained to us how the 'coloured mana' will work.

Basically the idea is that there will be various 'Mana Climates' where certain mana Colours can be obtained. These climates could be in a specific small area, or they might be Zone wide.

You then obtain Relic's that go into a specific Relic inventory slot and they are designed to Absorb specific Mana Colours. So if you have a Relic that is attuned to Red Mana, and you equip it while standing in an area of the world where there is a 'Red Mana Climate' it will start to absorb that Red Mana into the Relic over time until the Relic is full. If you have the wrong Relic equipped for the Mana Climate you are in, you will obviously not be absorbing any Coloured mana.

Certain spell types will then be able to 'tap' into specific Mana Colours if you are wearing the right Relic type and have absorbed enough of that Colour of Mana. So for example, Fire based spells could be Red Mana based and if you have a Red Relic with Red Mana absorbed, it will make your Fire based spells have increased damage or extra effects, by tapping into the Red Mana you have stored when it's cast. Cold based spells may tap into 'Blue Mana', perhaps Heal spells tap into 'Green Mana' etc...

You won't need to remain in the Mana Climate to use the Mana colour that is stored in your Relic, but it won't refill unless you are still in that Mana Climate. You could fill up your Relic and then head off to a dungeon and adventure for a while with increased spell effects until your Coloured mana Relic is depleted.

Obviously we don't know if different Relic's might have different Max mana they can absorb (Epic ones might hold more), and we don't know how much of the coloured mana each spell/ability might tap/expend when it's cast. We also don't know if Relic's will keep their Absorbed mana if they are unequipped, or if the absorbed coloured mana is lost if you switch to a different Relic. But if they do maintain their stored mana, it's possible you could have multiple colours of stored mana in several relics and swap them in depending on the fight you are about to go into. It may even be possible to have several Relic's with the same Mana colour stored up and so when one is depleted you could switch to the next one.

And of course... all of this was explained back in 2016 and could have changed greatly. We will have to see how it will actually work when it actually gets implemented.

August 6th 2018 Aena posted a Thread 'Is Colored mana still a thing' and Aradune responded saying: "Yes, and coming before Alpha." So hopefully we will be hearing some news about this soon.

• 1479 posts
    January 4, 2019 8:48 AM PST

Interesting Goofy, however I fear it will only concern magical classes and not others. I hope they have something in stacks for the melee users, this "banking" system souds much more interesting than what I thought first when hearing about coloured mana. It also creates movement in characters behaviour to fill different relics before going to hard challenges.

• 74 posts
    January 4, 2019 9:52 AM PST

I thought I would share my latest search results for colored mana with deve responses. It looks like things have changed a bit since I last looked into it.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9038/is-colored-mana-still-a-thing

Joppa had this to say on another thread in 2018:

"Just a bit of clarity here before speculation leads to unmet expectations :)

Currently, we're exploring some design directions for Colored Mana to play a significant role in the Crafting sphere. If we land on something we feel really good about, that's the aspect of Colored Mana you would see the soonest.

Regarding the Adventuring sphere, there have been a few directions we have considered/prototyped in the past that ultimately did not feel successful, being an additional layer of complexity that felt clunky and didn't harmonize with the Pantheon experience as a whole. So we're considering a different approach by using the Crafting system as the flagship incorporation of Colored Mana. If this proves successful, it could open up more clear paths on how we might incorporate Colored Mana into the Adventuring sphere more successfully."

It looks like they haved been moving to a new system that will start with crafting and may trickle over to adventuring at some point.

This post was edited by Prindan at January 4, 2019 9:53 AM PST
    • 5 posts
    January 4, 2019 2:18 PM PST

Thank you all for the replies, very informative.  I understand how complex muti-claassing would make the game, I played Neverwinter Nights and did a Monk/Weapon Master that was a blast to play.  He specialized in Kukris for the fast speed and high crit chance.  Was just curious if that would be in the game.  From all the input here and the other research I have done it looks like that is not a direction that the game will be going in.

V/R