Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon NEEDS to have this feature to succeed...

• 4 posts
    December 14, 2018 4:09 PM PST

I’m of course talking about the /gems command that lets you play the Bejewled game during downtime between spawns.

Whats it going to take to make this happen?

• 2419 posts
    December 14, 2018 4:17 PM PST

Kiron said:

A stroke?

• 131 posts
    December 14, 2018 7:08 PM PST

No gems please, but if we could have a version of the gigglegibber goblin that would be a hoot :)

• 2138 posts
    December 14, 2018 10:33 PM PST

Since Brad like playing MtG (and if they included some MtG mechanics into Pantheon that would be cool, as EQ physicalized DnD gameplay, why not pantheon physicalize or 3d-ize some MtG mechanics?) why not instead of boring gems0 yes I said boring!. how about finally fleshing out kings court? it would be simple and interruptible and between players. any number from 2+ could play. and there would be universal leaderboard and wagering, and people could see who owes who and anything could be put up on a hand of kings court. bonechips, food, dung, anything can be wagered and wagers could only be settled in taverns.

• 48 posts
    December 14, 2018 11:17 PM PST

You know, while we are on this subject, if by chance you ever do something terrible like that card game nonsense in EQ2, please make downloading it optional. I swear, the card game I never played must have took up 1-2 gigs of space. Sure, I have room, but I don't want to waste it on that. For small things like Gems, I still almost certainly won't play them but I won't hate on it as much.

• 159 posts
    December 14, 2018 11:20 PM PST

Manouk said:

Since Brad like playing MtG (and if they included some MtG mechanics into Pantheon that would be cool, as EQ physicalized DnD gameplay, why not pantheon physicalize or 3d-ize some MtG mechanics?) why not instead of boring gems0 yes I said boring!. how about finally fleshing out kings court? it would be simple and interruptible and between players. any number from 2+ could play. and there would be universal leaderboard and wagering, and people could see who owes who and anything could be put up on a hand of kings court. bonechips, food, dung, anything can be wagered and wagers could only be settled in taverns.

Although not a priority, I would like a collectable card game as well. Great ideas on the wagering. That would be fun. I always enjoyed playing the Final Fantasy in game card game (forget the name), as well as Pazaak from Star Wars.

This post was edited by Kass at December 14, 2018 11:23 PM PST
    • 63 posts
    December 15, 2018 1:59 AM PST

Kass said:

I always enjoyed playing the Final Fantasy in game card game (forget the name)

Triple Triad

• 255 posts
    December 15, 2018 2:24 AM PST

Kiron said:

I’m of course talking about the /gems command that lets you play the Bejewled game during downtime between spawns.

Just play something on another monitor. Back in the day you didn't play multiple games at once on the hardware with most being just a single core CPU.

Now days you might have 4-8 core's doing nothing while playing a game, so plenty of CPU capacity to give to another game if you have to wait.

• 49 posts
    December 15, 2018 2:52 AM PST

Kiron said:

Hahaha

• 1120 posts
    December 15, 2018 9:33 AM PST

DuxDux said:

Kass said:

Triple Triad

You beat me to it.

Best card game ever.

• 1120 posts
    December 15, 2018 9:33 AM PST

Kiron said:

Also gems was terrible.   Literally all you did was wait for the fire piece.  You cant lose 

• 1860 posts
    December 15, 2018 10:52 AM PST

First /gems then /pizza.  It's a slippery slope.

• 1019 posts
    December 15, 2018 2:21 PM PST

If you need to play a game while playing this game, something was designed and implemented wrong.  

• 3237 posts
    December 15, 2018 2:40 PM PST

Porygon said:

DuxDux said:

Kass said:

Triple Triad

You beat me to it.

Best card game ever.

I agree.  I would love to see a Triple Triad type of card game in Pantheon, especially if it's implemented similar to how it was in FF8.

• 159 posts
    December 15, 2018 8:07 PM PST

Kittik said:

If you need to play a game while playing this game, something was designed and implemented wrong.  

I disagree. There is always plenty of downtime in MMOs where you are waiting on timers or friends. If there is a card game to play/collect and pass the time, why not. It would probably be a means of generating more trade as well, depending on how it's implemented. Maybe I'll want to log on for thirty minutes when my friends aren't on (or I don't have time to commit to questing) and just play/collect, where otherwise I wouldn't bother logging in. What's the downside? Other than spending resources to create in game.

• 768 posts
    December 15, 2018 9:16 PM PST

If the dev's created a downtime period during their playsessions, they better fill that in so that we keep on playing their game in that period as wel. 

Otherwise in a way, they are admitting that, hey we had some blank spots and couldn't fill them in sensibly so we got you a flufflytimesink. O yeah and by doing so we are indeed spending hours into something that is not our core game.

So far, the downtime of Pantheon is designed/could/should be used to rebuff, talk strategy and to interact with the groupmembers.

If you do not feel the urge to communicate with your groupmembers...it could be you're playing the wrong game. I'm not saying you have to talk to them 24/7, but this game is designed to stimulate player interaction. Not just pauze the core game, /Afk and play something else, return when you hear shouts.

You'll want to discuss strats and it will take time to switch out spells and gear on the way. This amongst others, it what the dev's have intended for the downtime to be filled in by.

Well, that is my aspiration at least.

When talking about periods that are not related to combat situations, I hope Pantheon has more content to offer to stimulate to explore, investigate and play those parts of the game. It would be somewhat sad, if they had not designed anything worthwhile if you're not in a combat situation. Something to advance your character or your knowledge of the game.

This post was edited by Barin999 at December 15, 2018 9:19 PM PST
    • 77 posts
    December 15, 2018 11:15 PM PST

A subscription to Pantheon should come with a sub to either netflix or Hulu.

• 159 posts
    December 16, 2018 12:22 AM PST

Barin999 said:

Otherwise in a way, they are admitting that, hey we had some blank spots and couldn't fill them in sensibly so we got you a flufflytimesink. O yeah and by doing so we are indeed spending hours into something that is not our core game.

I agree. That is the major drawback. It would take away time from the 'core' game.

Barin999 said:

If you do not feel the urge to communicate with your groupmembers...it could be you're playing the wrong game. I'm not saying you have to talk to them 24/7, but this game is designed to stimulate player interaction. Not just pauze the core game, /Afk and play something else, return when you hear shouts.

Just playing devil's advocate, but the game I envision would not be a single player game but require interaction and promote competition, collecting, and trading.

Barin999 said:

When talking about periods that are not related to combat situations, I hope Pantheon has more content to offer to stimulate to explore, investigate and play those parts of the game. It would be somewhat sad, if they had not designed anything worthwhile if you're not in a combat situation. Something to advance your character or your knowledge of the game.

What if the game is integrated into the questing/adventure/looting? It would be just as much a part of the game as combat. Is the only point of an MMO combat?

Edit: They could be designed in such a way that it ties into Pantheon Lore, possibly unlocking a special quest for a rare card.

This post was edited by Kass at December 16, 2018 12:39 AM PST
    • 768 posts
    December 16, 2018 5:37 AM PST

Kass said:

Barin999 said:

Just playing devil's advocate, but the game I envision would not be a single player game but require interaction and promote competition, collecting, and trading.

Barin999 said:

What if the game is integrated into the questing/adventure/looting? It would be just as much a part of the game as combat. Is the only point of an MMO combat?

Edit: They could be designed in such a way that it ties into Pantheon Lore, possibly unlocking a special quest for a rare card.

Naturally Pantheon is more than combat, I expect to see a lot more then combat in this MMO. I hope that they design the game so that players are stimulated to use the time when they are not fighting, to explore everything else that the dev's of Pantheon have designed in this game. My other reply was aimed in a context of a group who's waiting to recover from a fight for example. When suggesting that a cardgame should be available when players in group have a period of none-combat to entertain them during their wait, is something I would rather not see happening. 

Yes you can still play something else on a different monitor if you really want to. I just hope that Pantheon stimulates you enough not to divert to other games during these moments. 

Back in Might and Magic, you had a cardgame in the game. But this side-game was found in the taverns. And for me that made sense. You'ld have players entering a tavern and starting up a cardgame or other sidegames. And when you're not playing it and you enter that same tavern, you can start interaction with the players standing in that tavern, for example. I've experienced that /lon (macro for Legends of Norrath game in eq2) during a raid or dungeon is taking me out of the immersive experience of my surroundings or the threat nearby. 

• 27 posts
    December 16, 2018 1:01 PM PST

I am not big on mini-games like that. I think I'd rather just have the option of an in game browser to peruse the wiki during waiting periods.....or /pizza lol

• 159 posts
    December 16, 2018 3:23 PM PST

@Barin999 ,

Fair points. I do think there is a way to integrate it in a way that promotes socialization in game, similar to the Might and Magic example you gave. It's by no means a deal breaker for me, and the safer bet is to just leave it out. Although it's definitely not needed, I have always enjoyed those types of things in games.

BryanR said:

I am not big on mini-games like that. I think I'd rather just have the option of an in game browser to peruse the wiki during waiting periods.....or /pizza lol

It's 2018. You gotta have two monitors to survive.

This post was edited by Kass at December 16, 2018 3:27 PM PST
    • 287 posts
    December 17, 2018 9:34 AM PST

As long as the minigame doesn't involve collecting, trading or multiplayer I'm all for it.  Keep it simple.

• 134 posts
    December 20, 2018 11:41 PM PST

I would love any sort of minigame. A card game, even if its super simple, would be insanely awesome.

I LOVE playing Triple Triad in Final Fantasy XIV.

My hope though, would be a way to break out a deck of cards with your group during downtime and play a quick round of a card game they invent for the game, with their own rules, or something of the sort.