Forums » General Guild Discussion

No guild affiliation

• 2 posts
    December 7, 2018 1:41 PM PST

Reading through posts, it appears that the primary focus of the game is grouping, with unknown raid sizes atm, but I could be incorrect since I am very new.

I was wondering if there has been much discussion/appitite for something I setup in a MMO awhile back called non-guild/non-guild specific grouping. The few main reasons for setting this up was for guided/non-guilded members that wanted to run alts, players missed a few weeks of play time and now they were behind the general guild's average level and found it hard to find guild groups, they always seemed to get stuck in non-raid groups with the person that just talks too much, the guild leaders son who always leads the group to their deaths, people that do not want to be in a guild but they want to experience group or raid content, plus 100 other reasons.

PUG groups can really be difficult or the hit or miss of LFG. Basically, what I did was found players that generally played in my timezone, paid for a small Mumble server and let people use it as needed for what we called the Non-Guilded players. The general basis was that we each would create a couple of charaters (of different classes for diversity) and run them in 2 week sprints. What we found in doing this was that many people enjoyed this aspect and full PUG's for us really never happened anymore. We all even started to do raids, etc. Originally, a lot of us did start out as PUG's but I made communication a lot easire and people got to know each other and played together more and more and we all became pretty good and had lots of fun.

I think a lot of it had to do with many just getting away from guild play/mates and build some new charaters without the hassle of true PUGs or long sessions of LFG or quiet groups (a loty of complaints were about too talkative of guildmates and listening to them for hours on end, lol)

Perhaps there might be an appitite for this in this game since there appears to be 2 starting continet and an emphsis in group play.

• 36 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:07 PM PST

Hmmmm interesting concept. This might feel a niche roll to help people to stay playing the game when they do not want to join a guild. All too familiar with the chatty Cathy's in group comms. That is one nice thing about raid comms is that people tend to be less chatty......

• 36 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:51 PM PST

What game did you do this in?

This post was edited by Skelos at December 7, 2018 2:53 PM PST
    • 2 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:58 PM PST

It was a few years ago in EQ2. Had some great runs and met some good, solid players.

• 1418 posts
    December 11, 2018 11:59 PM PST

I've seen this concept applied in a few games and personally I think it's pretty awesome when people are willing to set up grouping communities outside of guilds.  I hope you and others will set up ideas like this here in Pantheon too :)

I'm saying this even though I'm a guild leader and (obviously) I want my guildies to feel like they can group with each other.  Guilds are amazing tools for players to help each other.  BUT, it's too easy sometimes for people in a guild to pretend that everyone else doesn't exist.  And likewise, there will be times when the guild can't always cover everything.

I also think it's very important that guilds give something back to the server community as well.  That's another reason that I love to see folks set these sorts of things up, because even though I might be busy with guild stuff sometimes, that doesn't mean I can't help out, or nudge some of my guildies to help out when there's a need.  I would much rather see my folks be out there making friends and (hopefully) making a good impression on the rest of the server, than have them only really talking to each other.

• 87 posts
    June 24, 2019 8:19 PM PDT

It's a familiar idea. The server I played EQ on had the Norrathian Council of Guilds, which was great for grouping and finding raids on a friday night. It worked really well, in my memory. We also had an alliance with a guild similar to ours in EQ2 that worked in the same way, though it wasn't nearly as successful.

But, I like the mumble server idea. It definitely would lend an air of cohesion to the sense of community we're all building here on the forums and other venues.

• 588 posts
    July 4, 2019 3:17 AM PDT

I hope that the mentor system of Pantheon can prevent the problem of outleveling guildies. Of course the higher level player still must have the will/interest to go back to content he may already have left and help his guildmates :)