Forums » The Shaman

Shaman spells and spellbook from Dec 4th

• 39 posts
    December 6, 2018 6:36 PM PST

Wide image, I tried to upload directly into the forum but the image is squashed.

https://imgur.com/ObTJU4K

This post was edited by Ezrael at December 12, 2018 4:44 AM PST
    • 10 posts
    December 7, 2018 11:45 AM PST

Nice. I like everything they're doing.

This post was edited by Progress at December 7, 2018 11:46 AM PST
    • 1340 posts
    May 7, 2019 7:26 AM PDT

Monring after buffs.

I was thinking of startig a seperate thread but this one had the spell list as known and I wondered what thoughts were on this kind of mechanic with regards to resistance buffs.

In old games Shamans had nice spell sets with all kinds of resist buffs, often filling up their entire spell set. Some were short lived and required re-casting to keep them all fresh. However it created a kind of mind-set to cover all bases just in case. So shamans would buff resists to everything, then resave over a spellset for whatever battle, then as the buffs wore off swap in those resist buffs to refresh them and back out again. This made micromanagement out of buffs.

I think it would be just as effective if Buffs could also act as a morning after pill, kind of thing. For instance: You get bit by a snake, your health drops by a quarter and you realize you have 12 tics left on this poison timer. You cast or have cast on you a poison resistance buff. this does not get rid of the poison, but does slow it down. Perhaps slows it down enough so you can stay ahead of it with binding wounds, or maybe with small heals. The race is against the poison running its course, everything else stops while you tend to managing your health until it runs its course and then you can go on. Had you the resistance buff prior to being bitten, you may have been able to resist it or significantly lessen the impact but being able to use if after is not as effective, but still useable. Thing is, you dot know the poison is the issue until you get bitten.

• 193 posts
    May 7, 2019 1:40 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Monring after buffs.

I was thinking of startig a seperate thread but this one had the spell list as known and I wondered what thoughts were on this kind of mechanic with regards to resistance buffs.

In old games Shamans had nice spell sets with all kinds of resist buffs, often filling up their entire spell set. Some were short lived and required re-casting to keep them all fresh. However it created a kind of mind-set to cover all bases just in case. So shamans would buff resists to everything, then resave over a spellset for whatever battle, then as the buffs wore off swap in those resist buffs to refresh them and back out again. This made micromanagement out of buffs.

I think it would be just as effective if Buffs could also act as a morning after pill, kind of thing. For instance: You get bit by a snake, your health drops by a quarter and you realize you have 12 tics left on this poison timer. You cast or have cast on you a poison resistance buff. this does not get rid of the poison, but does slow it down. Perhaps slows it down enough so you can stay ahead of it with binding wounds, or maybe with small heals. The race is against the poison running its course, everything else stops while you tend to managing your health until it runs its course and then you can go on. Had you the resistance buff prior to being bitten, you may have been able to resist it or significantly lessen the impact but being able to use if after is not as effective, but still useable. Thing is, you dot know the poison is the issue until you get bitten.

I don't understand and I think it's the analogy that is confusing. Can you give a shorter description of what the spell does?  Reptilian Veil: poison resist.  Cleansing Flame: poison removal.  This spell: poison delay (?)  

• 1340 posts
    May 7, 2019 2:22 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

Manouk said:

Monring after buffs.

I don't understand and I think it's the analogy that is confusing. Can you give a shorter description of what the spell does?  Reptilian Veil: poison resist.  Cleansing Flame: poison removal.  This spell: poison delay (?)  

Sorry, I can get a little wordy and roundabout.

Of the spells in the screenshot I didn't see cleasning flame so I assumed it is not there, so I was thinking the poison removal spell is not available. The poison resist spell is called Reptilian Shroud in the screenshot. What I tried to express in my example was the possibility of using the Reptiian shroud poison resist buff after one is poisoned to delay or slow the impact of the poison. To use the Poison resist spell as a reaction to the poison - like the so-called morning after pill (RU48).

If you knew the area was full things that can hit you with poison, then having the buff on you beforehand would be wise. But if you didn't know there was poison, I wonder if it makes sense that it could be used to delay the poisons impact on you or the group member if cast after the fact, intuitively. It would not be completely effective but may be enough to get you through the poisons course of effect- however long it takes say 12 seconds.

Getting down to the numbers, the degree the buff mitigates the poison would have to be considered. I imagine if the poison normally does 5 damage every 2seconds for 12 seconds. having the buff cast upon you while the poison is running its course may cause the poison to only do 4 damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds? then again depending on when it was cast.

So 5 poison damage every 2secs for 12secs.  You get hit for 5,"Poison!" you yell, now its 5 damage every 2secs for 10secs remaining- shaman mems spell- you get hit again "hurry!" 5 damage every 2secs for 8secs remaining- shaman casts spell- you now get hit for 4 damage and the spells course is 4 damage every 2secs for 6secs remaining because of the buff cast by the shaman with the poison resist.

However if you had the poison resist buff prior or with foreknowledge, you would have the chance of resisting the poison completely, or perhaps getting hit with only 5 damage every 2 seconds for 2 to 6 seconds total duration.

If that makes sense. 

This post was edited by Manouk at May 7, 2019 2:24 PM PDT