Forums » The Cleric

Prevalence of Undead/Undeath

    • 6 posts
    November 15, 2018 3:50 PM PST
    I know the VR team has mentioned making undead and undeath more commonplace in Pantheon than they were in EQ/earlier games. I'm hoping they stick to this and give the cleric and Paladin more consistant utility. A scenario that I think of immediately is actually ocarina of time, where at night additional mobs would spawn other than the normal ones wandering during the day. I think something similar in pantheon would be appropriate so that if not every, at least a good portion of zones include some chances for these classes to shine. Any thoughts?
    • 11 posts
    November 15, 2018 5:21 PM PST

    They did that in Kithicor Forest (I think that's spelt right) and in areas like the Karana's. At night Kithicor Forest would become infested with higher level undead making it difficult to traverse. In the Karana's there were werewolves instead of undead. 

    But I do agree, this would be excellent to have all over the game world. Have lots of "haunted" places and areas where you just don't want to travel into at night without a cleric or paladin.

    This was the reason I chose a paladin in EQ. It made me feel "special", like I added something to the world that was much needed. Because when I started playing there weren't many paladins (and still weren't compared to all other classes). Later in Planes of Power we had the Plane of Decay (I think that was the one) where there were undead....but they were nonexistant anywhere else. But there was a GODLY AA which let you auto crit a proc on undead doing over 30k damage (when at the time wizards critted at about 5k).....It was the best feeling in the world to do that.

    I do hope they do allow "space" in the gaming world for these classes to shine. Just like in EQ, you usually had your druids/rangers/shamans in large open zones but you had your paladins, sk's, and clerics in crypts. I always did enjoy that level of diversity you don't see in many games. This was even extended to what races too...you didn't see many orgres in Kelethin :P

     


    This post was edited by Lorvul at November 15, 2018 5:22 PM PST
    • 1157 posts
    November 19, 2018 3:01 PM PST

    TrueBeast said: I know the VR team has mentioned making undead and undeath more commonplace in Pantheon than they were in EQ/earlier games. I'm hoping they stick to this and give the cleric and Paladin more consistant utility. A scenario that I think of immediately is actually ocarina of time, where at night additional mobs would spawn other than the normal ones wandering during the day. I think something similar in pantheon would be appropriate so that if not every, at least a good portion of zones include some chances for these classes to shine. Any thoughts?

    I agree that undead/undeath such be commonplace across Terminus, especially at night.  As mentioned above the changing of zone population from day to night ala Kithicor was a great design decision in Everquest and is something I hope to see continued in Pantheon (though not necessarily to the 'daytime is easy but nighttime is death' degree in Kithicore).

    • 11 posts
    November 26, 2018 12:29 PM PST

    Vandraad said:

    TrueBeast said: I know the VR team has mentioned making undead and undeath more commonplace in Pantheon than they were in EQ/earlier games. I'm hoping they stick to this and give the cleric and Paladin more consistant utility. A scenario that I think of immediately is actually ocarina of time, where at night additional mobs would spawn other than the normal ones wandering during the day. I think something similar in pantheon would be appropriate so that if not every, at least a good portion of zones include some chances for these classes to shine. Any thoughts?

    I agree that undead/undeath such be commonplace across Terminus, especially at night.  As mentioned above the changing of zone population from day to night ala Kithicor was a great design decision in Everquest and is something I hope to see continued in Pantheon (though not necessarily to the 'daytime is easy but nighttime is death' degree in Kithicore).

    To be honest, I think it should be varying degrees. I would definitely love to have a place where you ABSOLUTELY MUST AVIOD at night. This brings a certain element and realism to the game which I love. Some places get a bit more difficult. But to have a place where someone tells you "Oh, if you go into that forest at night, YOU WILL DIE....PERIOD"........ It's just me, but that degree of difficulty is what turned me onto EQ. 

    • 1157 posts
    November 26, 2018 3:09 PM PST

    Lorvul said:

    To be honest, I think it should be varying degrees. I would definitely love to have a place where you ABSOLUTELY MUST AVIOD at night. This brings a certain element and realism to the game which I love. Some places get a bit more difficult. But to have a place where someone tells you "Oh, if you go into that forest at night, YOU WILL DIE....PERIOD"........ It's just me, but that degree of difficulty is what turned me onto EQ. 

    Variety is, of course, the spice of life, and is a decision path I always support.  My example with Kithicor was that it was the only place where it happened.  If it were a more ubiquitous then absolutely having an aread here or there where 'it is nighttime there is no way I'm going through there' is great to have.  Furthering that notion of variety, lets assume you have two cities that are 7 zones apart and there are two routes through which you can travel.  You can have one route with a zone where, at night, you have very dangerous undead roaming about while the other, longer, route does not.  The player now has to make a decision: The shorter but more dangerous or longer but less dangerous.  Time, then, becomes a deciding factor along with risk.