Forums » The Dire Lord

Dire Mark Ability

• 66 posts
    November 15, 2018 10:07 AM PST
    Dire Mark

"You mark a member of your group. Whenever that group member takes damage, X% of that damage will be redirected to you."

I initially thought this ability would be ideal for protecting a cloth-wearing group member like a Wizard, but I think it would also be ideal for helping a main tank during a raid as another form of damage mitigation.  It would be interesting if, just for example, there are 5 Dire Lords and 1 Warrior in the group.  Could more than 1 Dire Mark be placed on a group member?

• 746 posts
    November 15, 2018 10:18 AM PST

Yea, I think you've got the right idea here.  I would even say, how about marking any of the tank classes, even another Dire Lord?  I also like "Dire Mark" as a rescue ability, or a way to help mitigate damage if the DL loses aggro temporarily.  I also think there's great application to be had in PvP.  There's still so much to dive into with these classes and I'm super excited to see how we all start to put the pieces together.

This is also why I just refuse to make too many judgments about the classes at this stage.  Until we get our hands on the classes and see how they both standalone and work with all the other classes we just can't know the worth of one class vs another, and certainly can't begin to make assessments on how the meta will evolve (i.e. Dire Lord will never be a MT, Warrior is the definitive raid tank, etc.).

• 491 posts
    November 15, 2018 7:01 PM PST

Loxxulus said: It would be interesting if, just for example, there are 5 Dire Lords and 1 Warrior in the group.  Could more than 1 Dire Mark be placed on a group member?

As with many other types of Buffs/Debuffs I would assume that you could apply multiple marks, but it would only use the one that was the highest %. Just like if you stacked slows on an enemy it would only use the highest (slowest?) slow. So whichever Dire Lord had the best stats that boost his Dire Mark ability %.

• 130 posts
    January 11, 2019 12:24 AM PST
    I imagine that you can only put one Mark on some one but that mite mean u have in a raid a do in main group to put on tank and u may have back up group built the same . And I could see a group out side main if it's possible to put this on some one not in group using dl to take the heat of others in main group .
    • 705 posts
    January 11, 2019 7:25 AM PST

As the OP mentioned, I think it would be best used on another tank, allowing the DL to really utilize their self healing skills (but obviously not its exclusive use).  They are doing a great job in creating synergy between classes with the same roles.  This allows for some bizzare and creative group combos. 

An atypical group example could be one designed on mitigating each other's damage while providing Heal Over Times-

War1, War2, DL, Pal, Dru, Anything:

War1- main tank with challenger's banner and wall of shields with War2
    War2- wall of shields with war1 and unyielding formation on DL (to reduce damage DL takes)
    DL- dire mark on War1
    Paladin and Druid group healing over time, DPS and CC through roots/stuns/knight's persuasion etc.
    6th class could do its thing.

Lots of cool things that can be done with completely hodgepodge/random groups.

• 35 posts
    January 11, 2019 11:39 AM PST

Darch said:[...]

Paladin and Druid group healing over time, DPS and CC through roots/stuns/knight's persuasion etc.[...]

Well I hope the DL would be more of a DPS rather than the Paladin.
    From Cohh's Stream https://youtu.be/2FXXE4IWu6k?t=141
    [...] Self-healing tank wearing heavy mail relying on the DPS he is dealing, [...]

I would be sadly surprised if the Paladin would do more DPS than a Dire Lord.

• 705 posts
    January 11, 2019 12:28 PM PST

@Khraag I wasn't trying to say that the Paladin would be more DPS than the DL.  (Nor was I saying that Paladin will do less DPS...)  I was just trying to give an example of an atypical group composition that could work... in that particular situation, all of the classes would be dealing damage with the two warriors and DL receiving dmg distributed amongst all of them with the paladin providing heals via dps through the honor and glory skill and the druid's reverberation.  

• 35 posts
    January 11, 2019 12:39 PM PST

Ho ok I understand, it's just that I though the DL would be also here for his DPS on top of his protection skill, just like the paladin is there to DPS and add some periodic heal.

Although it feels like this group would kill very slowly and would not do very well against groups of enemies as it would take so much time to kill them one by one.

This post was edited by Khraag at January 11, 2019 12:47 PM PST