Forums » Pantheon Lore

Greyborn vs Greyborne

• 728 posts
    November 14, 2018 10:01 AM PST

An interesting little tidbit from the latest lore piece in the November 2018 newsletter - We meet Thaeolyn Greyborn.  If you'll recall, the individuals exchanging correspondence in the Keepings of Castigue were Narian Castigue and Kaolyen Greyborne.  The names are obviously very similar, so much so that while I was reading I had at first assumed they were the same person.  However, after doing some cross-referencing, it turns out not only are the first names different, albeit very similar (much as siblings might be), Kaolyen's surname ends in an "e".

What do we think?  Are these two elves related?  Might they be siblings (or of other familial relation)?  Or perhaps ancestors, implying that the two stories take place at different periods in the history?  If so, are the naming conventions intentional or simply an oversight?  Or is this all just a coincidence and there are no connections to be made outside of the similarities in Elven naming conventions?

Intersting stuff.  Any thoughts?

• 64 posts
    November 14, 2018 1:10 PM PST

I like what you drew from this. I am going to have to read some more of the lore and catch up!

Red

• 728 posts
    November 14, 2018 1:49 PM PST

Redroostah said:

I like what you drew from this. I am going to have to read some more of the lore and catch up!

Red

Oh yes, I would highly recommend it!

• 1194 posts
    November 14, 2018 2:00 PM PST

Got a sharp eye here !

I'd say the final E is the cost to translocate an other E from the third to the last syllabus.

Kaolyen Greyborne => Thaeolyn Greyborn + e

That's just semantic chemistry.

• 728 posts
    November 14, 2018 2:11 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I'd say the final E is the cost to translocate an other E from the third to the last syllabus.

Confirmed, Terminus is flat! HA!

Slightly off topic, I found this very interesting as well:

The storms of the valley draw strength from the hot clouds of gas that rise above the surface, which mix with the tides of frigid wind that break in from the coast. For far to the north lies the frostbitten continent of Frozja Nochta, a harsh but beautiful realm that sends its storms across the Bethrale Straight and over the shoulders of the continent of Kingsreach.

It seems we received some additional geographical information as well!

This post was edited by Nikademis at November 14, 2018 2:25 PM PST
    • 37 posts
    November 14, 2018 8:12 PM PST
    Nice catches Nikademis! I’m gonna go re-read some things. :)

I’ve been wondering about that third continent because that map only shows two and no frozen sanctum. There seems to be a lot of info I haven’t come across yet!
    • 728 posts
    November 15, 2018 8:38 AM PST

Alisera said:

Nice catches Nikademis! I’m gonna go re-read some things. :) I’ve been wondering about that third continent because that map only shows two and no frozen sanctum. There seems to be a lot of info I haven’t come across yet!

Indeed, I would love to have a more clear picture of the world.  Obviously, seeing a zone connection map would be pretty amazing considering we've really only seen a few zones and even heard of a handful more.  But at this point even definitive answers as to where all the capital cities are located would be enough for me.

Perhaps if this thread gets enough interest and discussion we might coax Justin out of his den to shed some light on these two mysterious elves ;)

• 277 posts
    November 15, 2018 9:51 PM PST

Hey everyone -

I must admit that the omission of the "e" was a mistake. Greyborne is the surname for both Kaolyen and Thaeolyn and yes, they are related. One of those times where you're so focused on the new parts of the machine working properly that you neglect the old ones. My apologies, you all deserve better. We will be updating the story (and correcting a few other errors). Thanks for bearing with us.

As for the location of the Dwarves, Archai and Gnomes, that wintry continent is called Whitethaw and is located to the south of Terminus. Frozja Nochta does not have a starting area or sanctum, but does host some interesting characters nonetheless. 

I'm not surprised you all sussed out the names, but I am very sorry to have made this mistake. Once again, you all deserve better and I hope to avoid these gaffes going forward. Thanks for your interest. 

- JN

• 274 posts
    November 15, 2018 9:57 PM PST

Nah man, you're kicking some ass with the lore.  We're here to catch any little mistakes like this, you just keep chugging along.

Nice job Nik, you were all over it!

• 277 posts
    November 15, 2018 10:15 PM PST

Thanks, Mathir. And great catch, Nik!

• 564 posts
    November 16, 2018 5:00 AM PST

Thank you for the grand tale Justin, it was delightful.

• 277 posts
    November 16, 2018 6:08 AM PST
    Thank you, Kumu. May everything we do be worthy of a bardic rhapsody.
    • 728 posts
    November 16, 2018 9:05 AM PST

Thanks for swinging by Justin, its always a pleasure.  I really appreciate your availability and, of course, your work.  Seriously, you owe us no apology man!  Finding this slight difference actually sparked so much more curiosity in me!

In any case, I really look forward to hearing more about these two characters.  I love powerful female characters, especially in fantasy settings so I can't wait to see the amount of butt these ladies kick going forward!  Thanks again for taking the time to clarify Istuulamae <3

• 277 posts
    November 18, 2018 7:02 AM PST

Thanks so much, Nik. 

This has come up before, but Kaolyen is actually a male. Surprise! It is an understandable switch to make, as we never call out his gender in the Keepings of Castigue, but he is a male ancestor of Thaeolyn. He died sometime around the Deicide War. 

Thanks for the kind words, and as always, your interest! This segment of the community is closest to my heart, and daily motivation to my work. 

• 728 posts
    November 18, 2018 9:08 AM PST

Istuulamae said:

Thanks so much, Nik. 

This has come up before, but Kaolyen is actually a male. Surprise! It is an understandable switch to make, as we never call out his gender in the Keepings of Castigue, but he is a male ancestor of Thaeolyn. He died sometime around the Deicide War. 

Thanks for the kind words, and as always, your interest! This segment of the community is closest to my heart, and daily motivation to my work. 

Thanks for clearing that up too, good to know.  It was certainly not my intention to assume genders, I guess I missed that discussion somehow.  In any case, I'm looking to learning more going forward.

May I ask, is Thaeolyn alive?  Or put another way, is Tales From the Fire: the One Between the Winds a modern exposition of the region?

• 277 posts
    November 18, 2018 1:23 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Istuulamae said:

Thanks so much, Nik. 

Thanks for clearing that up too, good to know.  It was certainly not my intention to assume genders, I guess I missed that discussion somehow.  In any case, I'm looking to learning more going forward.

May I ask, is Thaeolyn alive?  Or put another way, is Tales From the Fire: the One Between the Winds a modern exposition of the region?

It’s no biggie. I don’t think it’s ever been explicitly stated and the character has to appear one way or another to you. I kind of like that it’s not terribly obvious, because it isn’t the point of the story. 

Thaeolyn is alive and you will meet her in game. 

This post was edited by Istuulamae at November 18, 2018 1:24 PM PST
    • 728 posts
    November 18, 2018 6:22 PM PST

Istuulamae said:

Nikademis said:

Istuulamae said:

Thanks so much, Nik. 

It’s no biggie. I don’t think it’s ever been explicitly stated and the character has to appear one way or another to you. I kind of like that it’s not terribly obvious, because it isn’t the point of the story. 

Thaeolyn is alive and you will meet her in game. 

Awesome, thanks man!  That's really cool and a nice bit of insight.  Looking forward to the next ;)

• 19 posts
    November 23, 2018 7:59 PM PST

Istuulamae said:

Hey everyone -

I must admit that the omission of the "e" was a mistake. Greyborne is the surname for both Kaolyen and Thaeolyn and yes, they are related. One of those times where you're so focused on the new parts of the machine working properly that you neglect the old ones. My apologies, you all deserve better. We will be updating the story (and correcting a few other errors). Thanks for bearing with us.

As for the location of the Dwarves, Archai and Gnomes, that wintry continent is called Whitethaw and is located to the south of Terminus. Frozja Nochta does not have a starting area or sanctum, but does host some interesting characters nonetheless. 

I'm not surprised you all sussed out the names, but I am very sorry to have made this mistake. Once again, you all deserve better and I hope to avoid these gaffes going forward. Thanks for your interest. 

- JN

Speaking of the "e" thing, I noticed this.

This post was edited by Reichsritter at November 23, 2018 8:00 PM PST