Forums » The Bard

Bard mobs: yes or no?

• 564 posts
    November 6, 2018 6:33 AM PST

Everyone knows how to handle enemy tanks, healers, DPS-ers, and mezzers. But what about minstrels?

Would you like to see bard mobs in Pantheon? I realize we don’t yet know what awaits us as player troubadours, but what types of tricks / songs would you expect enemy bards to employ, solo or in groups? In my experience previous games never represented the class well, probably due to the complexity of AI programming necessary to mimic our versatility. For example EQ bard NPCs were often solo, horribly weak, never used songs, and were constantly picked on for easy XPs (*grrr rotten music-hating necros*). Was there any game that got bard mobs right?

Here’s hoping that the “League of Thronefast Bards” puts up a more interesting fight.

This post was edited by Kumu at November 6, 2018 6:34 AM PST
    • 125 posts
    November 6, 2018 7:23 AM PST

I'd love to see bard mobs in Pantheon. I think the best way to deal with a bard mob would be to boo him. "Booooooo you rotten bard boooooo! Go get a real job and a haircut hippy!

• 1157 posts
    November 6, 2018 9:45 AM PST

Kumu said:

Everyone knows how to handle enemy tanks, healers, DPS-ers, and mezzers. But what about minstrels?

Would you like to see bard mobs in Pantheon?

Oh, absolutely.  Every player class should have its equivalent NPC class that we should encounter in the world.  But beyond just seeing this classes is the expectation that the NPCs should actually use their class abilities and not just immediately default to being a melee class.  Time and time again I see in the streams caster classes that nuke once or twice then run into melee range after which they quickly die.  That is lazy programming.  If we see a bard class, it should #%@% act like a bard.  It should be using the entire repertoire of skills and abilities a player of the same level would have at its disposal...not just toot once on a flute then do nothing but melee from then on.

• 15 posts
    November 6, 2018 5:32 PM PST

Final Fantasy XI did a really good job with this, nothing like having something alost dead then it blow up killing you because it was a ninja.  I also think the Collessium from the Lich King expansion was cool from WoW, but ultimately the AI just wasn't too great, each npc only had a couple tools to use, and after everyone figured out how to counter them it became extremely easy, for it to work really well the AI needs to be kicked up a ton.  It's a little different, but enemies that level up as it killed folks could be cool.  XI did this on an  encounter basis, it just became another mechanic to learn, I think it was Ultima I was told about where bears outside outside towns killed so many low level folks they eventually became unkillable and the servers had to be reset.  I would like to see something like that, only better managed, haha, and just remembered the pox from EQoA, that was awesome.

• 1194 posts
    November 7, 2018 1:18 AM PST

good ol' days ;).

• 564 posts
    November 8, 2018 5:06 AM PST

zendrel said:

I'd love to see bard mobs in Pantheon. I think the best way to deal with a bard mob would be to boo him. "Booooooo you rotten bard boooooo! Go get a real job and a haircut hippy!

That made me smile, thanks Zendrel! Here’s hoping you loot a fine feathered cap or paisley vest from a PRotF bard mob in the future.

• 178 posts
    November 8, 2018 11:22 AM PST

I'd love to see slippery-as-hell, un predictable bard mobs.  However, it would be one of the most tricky to code, as bards (at least in other games) have been the least straightforward class with respect to tactics.

• 2013 posts
    December 6, 2018 9:27 AM PST
    Yea beastment bards in XI were fun. They werent super squishy like a mage, and they would self buff and debuff you. They also liked to spam lullaby and murder 1 party member while everyone was asleep.
    • 620 posts
    December 8, 2018 2:38 PM PST

Kumu said:

zendrel said:

That made me smile, thanks Zendrel! Here’s hoping you loot a fine feathered cap or paisley vest from a PRotF bard mob in the future.

Haha Love it Zen!! Also a great taunt for a Tank while his group is fighting a Bard would be to clap along just slightly out of time, infuriating the bard beyond belief forcing him focus on killin the tank so he can get back into his groove. :p

• 233 posts
    December 11, 2018 11:03 AM PST
    I hope I can buy earplugs from my local merchant ;)
    • 564 posts
    December 11, 2018 6:07 PM PST

BamBam said: I hope I can buy earplugs from my local merchant ;)

Clever - avoiding being charmed / debuffed by wearing earmuffs!