Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Text Chat vs Voice Chat

• 2037 posts
    July 8, 2020 4:01 PM PDT

Foolbok23 said: My reply from another thread I would hope in-game VC is so low on VR's totem pole at this point the subject is moot. Would hate to see needed resources and team assets be pulled away so early in the games development.

Several people have expressed similar opinions. Since no one has pointed it out, I will:

From the FAQ's

1.10 Will there be a built-in voice chat system?

Yes. While many players may use other chat clients we still want to implement optional voice chat in-game. Most likely you would only hear and be able to chat with people in your group and guild as hearing everyone around you becomes a cacophony of noise.

I also don't believe that including voice chat channels will constitute ANY significant amount of Dev resources to include. They might already be ingame, and just reserved to the Devs for testing purposes at this point.

• 70 posts
    July 9, 2020 12:35 AM PDT

I really like Text local chat. It is so weird to have a Tiny Femaile halfling talkeing with a male voice. Local chat is in my eyes for RP only. But not everyone likes to RP. But hopefully we have a Rp server that does.

But having Voice Chat is very handy for things like raids or other big events, even I can see that!

• 1860 posts
    July 9, 2020 2:23 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Foolbok23 said: My reply from another thread I would hope in-game VC is so low on VR's totem pole at this point the subject is moot. Would hate to see needed resources and team assets be pulled away so early in the games development.

Several people have expressed similar opinions. Since no one has pointed it out, I will:

From the FAQ's

1.10 Will there be a built-in voice chat system?

Yes. While many players may use other chat clients we still want to implement optional voice chat in-game. Most likely you would only hear and be able to chat with people in your group and guild as hearing everyone around you becomes a cacophony of noise.

The FAQ is very outdated.  They decided to go away from integrated voice chat years ago.  That information in the FAQ is not correct.

This post was edited by philo at July 9, 2020 5:48 PM PDT
    • 220 posts
    July 9, 2020 3:18 PM PDT

Text chat because it is easier to maintain immersion with it.

• 26 posts
    July 17, 2020 11:32 AM PDT

Text  over voice in 99% of situations

Voice for raids or dungeons wiht people I know well enough to feel comfortable reveiling to strangers that I'm a middle aged female gamer xD it sometimes makes the entire atmosphere get weird when someone knows I'm not a dude.

This only seems to really happen in pvp or very competitive games though so I don't think it would be too much of an issue here.

• 47 posts
    July 18, 2020 2:55 PM PDT

Voice chat all the way. Text chats just turn into people trolling each other with poor grammar and spelling. 

• 2756 posts
    July 18, 2020 3:26 PM PDT

Jeremiahcp said:

Voice chat all the way. Text chats just turn into people trolling each other with poor grammar and spelling. 

Oh, man, the mumbling, the screaming, the accents, bad mics, background noise, inconsistent volume, waffling about nothing, etc etc of voice chat has way more trolling potential than some mispelling or bad grammar in text.

Typing forces people to be concise and succinct, if anything.

• 47 posts
    July 18, 2020 3:37 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Jeremiahcp said:

Oh, man, the mumbling, the screaming, the accents, bad mics, background noise, inconsistent volume, waffling about nothing, etc etc of voice chat has way more trolling potential than some mispelling or bad grammar in text.

Typing forces people to be concise and succinct, if anything.

I have played both styles in mmos and what you are describing has not been my experience. Also, voice chat just has a more real feel to it, there are no PMs or global chat, if you want to talk to someone you have to walk up to them and talk to them, just like you would have to in the real world. 

• 287 posts
    July 24, 2020 9:55 AM PDT
    Text all the way. I don't want to know our female elf rogue is a 48 year old male trucker with a deep voice. Voice chat kills immersion. I play these games up escape reality.
    • 413 posts
    July 24, 2020 10:11 AM PDT

For coordinating tatics in a group, Yes voice chat all the way.

For guild chat... optional

Voice chat helps identify real life Gender; while it does not really matter for grouping, but if I am going to have long term friends, I want to know who is male and who is female.  Sometimes with enough text chatting I have a good idea.