Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Way to isolate environment sounds from combat?

• 213 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:14 PM PDT

I really love The envornment sounds you guys have created for some of your zones already.. I just noticed that in EQ when I turn my sounds up to enjoy the birds chirping or the crickets that the combat sounds nearly deafen me. Will there be any way to seprerate the two in this game?  

Thanks =)

• 198 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:36 PM PDT
    There was another thread recently posted by Kilsin related to music, but yeah I agree that combat music needs it's own slider.
    • 1281 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:43 PM PDT

Gamerchick said:

I really love The envornment sounds you guys have created for some of your zones already.. I just noticed that in EQ when I turn my sounds up to enjoy the birds chirping or the crickets that the combat sounds nearly deafen me. Will there be any way to seprerate the two in this game?  

Thanks =)

I could be wrong, but I believe that the ambient sound slider will be separate from combat sound.  If I'm wrong and it doesn't, it should.  I also think that the zone theme music should have its own separate slider from both ambient sound and combat.  I know that there are some people that would love to crank ambient sound, but lower theme music.

• 1479 posts
    October 18, 2018 11:59 PM PDT

I don't know if it will be the case, but I think it's really hard to balance sounds against each others. All ears are sensible to different sounds, we all have a different attention to detailsn high pitches, low pitches. It's better NOT to try balanced them as it's nearly impossible, and making specific sliders for Music, Ambient, Battle, is the best solution to fill every difference between people's audition.

I often realize while putting a headset on, that Ambiant are extremely rich but rarely heard, and they add so much to immersion (way more than music to me, but that's an other subject) and I wouldn't want them and the work they represent to just be "A sound no one never hear due to other sounds beeing more prevalent".

It's probably impossible to make music soft enough no let every ambient sound pass throught, as by definition, music is made to cover sound. But allow them to coexist in the best possible way with everyone's hearing differences would be the best possibility here.

• 612 posts
    October 19, 2018 2:39 PM PDT

I totally agree with this idea.

This is one of the big problems I have with other games where they link a bunch of sounds together and you can't adjust them seperately. Perhaps this may seem overkill but I would even go farther and say that the Ambient sounds should have sub-sliders for specific types of sounds, such as 'wind', 'rain', 'birds', insects, etc... So we can turn down just the sounds that are really harsh to listen to while keeping the ones that we don't mind and would like to have still up. For me I have always hated the sound of wind and often end up turning off ALL the ambient sounds only because of the wind sound. So I miss out on all the rich sound in the game just because the wind sounds are so harsh and give me a headache. If I was able to target only those wind sounds and turn them down or off, but not effect the other sounds, I would be very happy :-)

As for combat sounds, they too could have sub-sliders for specific sounds. Perhaps you want to turn low your own 'weapon' sounds when you hit an enemy since you hit dagger fast and it's just repetitive Oofs and Biffs. You may also want to turn down the 'enemy hits an ally' sound because it's not so important you hear TedTheTank getting hit over and over. But you want to keep the 'enemy hits me' sound up high so you can't miss it if you get bashed or slashed and need to react.

Heck... even the 'Music' sound could have seperate sliders. Perhaps you like hearing the zone music but want to turn down the 'you are in combat' music. Then there is the 'while I zone' music that could be also set at a different volume. Then there is the 'perception' music that you might like to have turned up, even if you turn down the others.

The point is... these kinds of things should not be 'all or nothing', since from my experience it either all gets turned down/off just because of some offending sound type, or you need to keep it all high/on and then get frustrated with the offending sound. Lots of options with this is a really good thing.

• 1019 posts
    October 19, 2018 5:13 PM PDT

EQ2 already runs this in their settings.  There are 6 different slider options.  Music, Combat Music, Environment, 3D Animations, UI, Overall Volume

• 752 posts
    October 19, 2018 5:32 PM PDT
    I dont see why environment/combat/music cant be on own sliders. Why cant birds chirping keep chirping while in battle. I understand immersion and all, but it should be as simple as a music check statement of if combat music is turned on default to combat music volume. If combat music is (off) no change and let birds keep chirping. And also. Combat alerts and combat music should be seperate. So the BAM YOU ARE ENGAGED alert should be seperate from the combat music. Just give us options and volume sliders
    • 13 posts
    October 31, 2018 4:43 PM PDT

It would be nice to have the ability / combat sounds, back ground ambient sounds and music all on seperate sliders.  I hope this can be a thing :)