Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You see a low level player begging for money...

• 264 posts
    October 22, 2018 6:23 PM PDT

I don't give money to beggars, I've helped plenty of noobs but just handing them silver/gold/plat isn't the way to go. The old saying is give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

• 768 posts
    October 23, 2018 5:18 AM PDT

In general, I would try to contact them via tell or direct nearby say. I'ld ask them if they are new and what they would desperately need it for. I'ld be inclined to team up with them and show them around the place a bit. Usually this amount of time is enough to sift through the katfishes of the game. When they are truely new, they'll have more value in a run around the newby zone and some usefull intel then the bare cash donation. If the communcation goes well, I might end up crafting or providing them with a starter set gear and directions to a nice starting area or questline.

I'll register them down somewhere and as I log on in time, I have a look out for them. If they are powerlevelers, I'll adjust my register or clear them from my friendslist. If they are truely new players, that will become clear in the channels or starting area. I might drop a tell or stop by to help them out and guide them further. When they found their footing I would clear them from my newbylist. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at October 23, 2018 5:20 AM PDT
    • 393 posts
    October 23, 2018 3:06 PM PDT

It's wierd, I would rather spend my time helping someone out than freely give money to beggars. The only situation that ever bothers me is when strangers come up to my toon, open trade, and just stand there. Once in a while, after some awkward silence, some of them will say something to the effect of, "give me gold". That's when I encourage them to go out and adventure and earn it like most everyone else does. 

• 3 posts
    October 23, 2018 7:38 PM PDT

Ziegfried said:

I don't give money to beggars, I've helped plenty of noobs but just handing them silver/gold/plat isn't the way to go. The old saying is give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

same way i play, the money comes with time and playing the game. ill help u quest if i have time or give some info, but im not handing out free money though.

• 1303 posts
    October 25, 2018 8:57 AM PDT
    I ignore it. The enjoyment in a game is in experiencing the game. not circumventing that intended experience. It just seems like helping them skip some of the struggles just cheapens it for them.

Conversely if they are saying that they really screwed up and all their gear is under a named or something, I'm likely to stop and help them get it back however I can .
    • 1281 posts
    October 25, 2018 10:48 AM PDT

Charity in an MMO is different than charity in real life. In a game everyone truly has the same opporutnities. The time spent begging could be better spent out earning your own gear.

I've never given to an in game begger and never will.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 25, 2018 10:48 AM PDT
    • 27 posts
    October 26, 2018 3:51 PM PDT

1. Invite them to your party
    2. Cast levitate on them
    3. Hand them enough copper to make them so encumbered that they can't move
    4. Duck spam underneath them to push them into the air
    5. Dispell their levitate and have them fall to their death from being overweight
    6. Disband the group and /ignore them