Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You see a low level player begging for money...

• 198 posts
    October 18, 2018 10:47 AM PDT

Albe said:

Parascol said:

I give them 100,000 copper and come back an hour later to see if they are still there ready to give it back.

thats funny, then they can move, I did that to a friend took him like 10 minutes to get to a bank because he was low level.  it was hilarious.

Haha, yeah!  Although I'm pretty sure currency won't have a weight value in Pantheon.

• 294 posts
    October 18, 2018 1:25 PM PDT

If I am familiar with the zone I show him the path to grand glory and great riches... assuming I found that path myself.

If not, I'm sorry dude or dudette. Can't help you.

• 1618 posts
    October 18, 2018 2:14 PM PDT
    I would tell them to go harvest crafting mats for me and I would pay them well above market price.
    • 839 posts
    October 18, 2018 5:39 PM PDT
    I don't see what the problem is with giving them some cash, telling them to pass it forward one day when they are better off. If there begging is stupid spam it might be different.. but if they are just asking for some cash to help with spells out whatever... I can't see why anyone who could, wouldn't help.
    • 72 posts
    October 19, 2018 5:45 AM PDT

Depends on how they ask really.
    For example, if someone comes up to you in the city and asks for a specific amount to buy a skill/item, then I would happily give them that and a bit more.
    Alternatively, if someone is standing in a populated area asking for unspecified amounts of hand-outs, then I'll open trade with them and then stand there wasting as much of their time as possible.

This post was edited by Turnip at October 19, 2018 5:46 AM PDT
    • 108 posts
    October 19, 2018 7:12 AM PDT

This is situational....If the begger is being creative and not being annoying i may give them something. Generally though if someone begs in shout or global chat i immediately put them on ignore! If someone whispers me for cash i put them on ignore.

• 370 posts
    October 19, 2018 7:58 AM PDT

It honestly comes down to my mood. If I'm feeling generous I may give them some money. If I have an item on me that they can use I may pass that on to them. Begging isn't all bad, it's really how they go about doing it. "Excuse me can you spare some gold so I can buy my spells?" would almost certainly get some money out of me but "Hey can I have 10 gold" would likely get ignored. 

Also if you're a naked female avatar dancing on a mailbox you're going to get ignored. 

• 3852 posts
    October 19, 2018 8:45 AM PDT

((Also if you're a naked female avatar dancing on a mailbox you're going to get ignored. ))

Note to self - make sure to create at least one male avatar to use as a "begging toon".

Note to self. Mailboxes don't get the stamp of approval - find a hitching post to dance on if you want to horse around for money.

• 1785 posts
    October 19, 2018 9:54 AM PDT

Naunet said:

When I have gold to spare, I like going to lowbie zones and just handing out goodies - be it coin, bags, whatever. I'll give to folks who ask when I can and don't really concern myself with the whole "you should EARN it!" stuff. If I have more than I need, why not spread the wealth and enjoyment around?

As a crafter, periodically I'll go hand out free low level armor/weapons/bags/etc in starting area.  Not to people who are begging, mind you, but just show up in the zone and /shout "if you're starting out and could use a weapon, come see me at the fountain" or etc.  Sometimes I'll even drag a couple of guildies along to help the newbies out, answer their questions on how stuff works, buff them a little, etc. - especially if the population in the starting area has started to dip a little low.

I don't put this in the same class as enabling a begger though.  I think of this activity a lot more as giving back to the community and helping insure that new folks realize that there is a decent community in the game.

• 409 posts
    October 19, 2018 11:17 AM PDT

I never give beggars anything. If I am on a character that has buffs, I'll drop a drive by buff or two, but that's it. On my cleric, I'll occasionally toss the non-component HP/AC buff to newbies, and always trade buffs with anyonebuffing me. But money/gear? Nope.

• 370 posts
    October 19, 2018 11:25 AM PDT

Let me tell you a story. I had just started playing EQ. I walk out into Greater Faydark for my first time. I'm trying to level up my High Elf and I'm struggling. I was maybe level 3 or 4. I couldn't afford many spells and my melee was terrible. A high-level character ran up to me, opened a trade, and gave me a couple plat. I will never forget that kind person. They enabled me to buy my low-level spells and truly enjoy the game. I don't remember their face, their name, or anything. I do remember how it made me feel and I paid that forward when I was a high level.

I dislike people who beg. That being said I do enjoy helping out lowbies, because I remember the impact it had on me. Nearly 20 years later I still remember that person's moment of kindness. 

• 112 posts
    October 19, 2018 11:43 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Not giving him a thing. I only give to disinterested players, usually I just buff / CR low levels unless they are fun and friendly.

Just the same when I'm low level or new to a game. I don't beg but usually end up with cool gifts because I'm friendly, fun and I like to do jokes and create bonds with people.

I could not have put it any better ...I would do the same thing.

• 612 posts
    October 19, 2018 5:59 PM PDT

EppE said: A high-level character ran up to me, opened a trade, and gave me a couple plat. I will never forget that kind person. They enabled me to buy my low-level spells and truly enjoy the game. I don't remember their face, their name, or anything.

It was me! - Ok maybe it wasn't really me... but it sounds like something I have done :-)

• 303 posts
    October 19, 2018 9:29 PM PDT

Jabir said:

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You see a low-level player begging for money in a newbie zone, what do you do? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Male or female?

lmao

This!

This post was edited by Spluffen at October 19, 2018 9:29 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    October 20, 2018 1:55 AM PDT

Really depends on my mood at the time. I don't actively mind beggars doing their thing since it's part of any community, but I usually won't give them anything unless I'm feeling it. I've found I'm much more likely to give hand-outs if it's my same class and I wanna 装逼 a little like the well-off big brother.

• 316 posts
    October 20, 2018 3:26 AM PDT

zendrel said:

I tell the player to take off all of their gear and to dance for me in the most populated area. We all call that person a dirty pleb, plat whore, a fugly noob, and many other demeaning names. Then we proceed with the classic wishing cancer upon them, all of the sexual relations you and everyone else is having with their mother, and how they are still virgins who live in their mothers basement. After this I open trade and give them 5 silver and tell them, "Here, keep the change and go clean yourself up you filthy ****".

I think in this scenario everyone wins.

Lol

• 753 posts
    October 20, 2018 6:27 AM PDT

In EQ, as a ranger, I loved going back to GFay, tracking down a low level ranger, and giving them stuff to help them along their way.  I also enjoyed the occasional night spent guarding a low level group from bad stuff that might happen to them - or even helping them by bringing them mobs or whatever.  But I never gave gold to anyone that was begging for gold.

I certainly hope (and believe it will) Pantheon fosters a community where folks enjoy doing things that help others for no other reason than to help others :) 

• 29 posts
    October 20, 2018 7:23 AM PDT

I would help someone with a low level quest, especially if I know it rewards with a gear upgrade for them, at the drop of a hat. If I have to travel to them from far, I'd still consider it. I typically buff anyone I see while running through anywhere.

But I won't give gold to a begger for just about any reason because I'd be doing them a disservice. Who remembers their first playthrough of a game when they were OP? I remember the struggles more fondly than the steamrolls.

• 85 posts
    October 20, 2018 8:44 AM PDT
    Ignore them
    • 947 posts
    October 20, 2018 6:48 PM PDT

If its a character legit asking for help (i.e. "can anyone help me, I'm 6 gold shy of paying for my lvl 12 spells?) I will help them out by purchasing their spell for them.  Or if a warrior is asking for help maybe I would give them a fine steel weapon weapon or something that I would just vendor but would be an incredible upgrade for them.  If it was just someone literally begging for cash I would likely ignore their request (but not /ignore).  

On that point, I really hope VR has a system(s) in place to rein in the gold spammers/farmers.  Possibly not allowing characters to message in certain channels until obtaining a certain level (as an example).  This could potentially help with lowbie beggars spamming commonly used chat channels.

• 122 posts
    October 21, 2018 6:40 AM PDT

well i cant kill them cause its not a pvp server so i guess.... ignore or 100000 copper is a funny idea...

Evil race for me =)

This post was edited by Nytman at October 21, 2018 6:42 AM PDT
    • 5 posts
    October 21, 2018 8:16 AM PDT

Begging for money is an artform. If I were doing it many of you would give me money even if you wouldn't normally give handouts because I'd purposely ask for a ridiculously small amount like 5 copper or whatever the currency is. Before trading me I would thank you profusely, my spelling and grammar would be slightly off; enough to look cute but not braindead. I'd make sure the people I was asking for money looked wealthy, and instead of giving me 5 copper you'd give me an amount significantly larger because even 5 silver is nothing to you and this is an easy opportunity for you to show off without actually losing anything. Begging for money is a huge waste of time though, I only do this when I'm right next to an NPC and I'm short a small amount otherwise even I find it pathetic

This post was edited by nunch at October 21, 2018 8:20 AM PDT
    • 363 posts
    October 21, 2018 9:31 AM PDT

1. I would ignore them and walk by. 2. If they kept bothering me I would hire an NPC to drag them into an alley and flog them to death.

Begging is very common in MMO's today to the point that I would call it harrassment and an extremely annoying trait of the game. 

• 37 posts
    October 21, 2018 4:50 PM PDT

Hmm I think for me, depends how they are asking. If they are begging for any money in a general chat like "plz give me gold', I would most likely just ignore. But if they are whispering me directly or just asking the area around them like "anyone have 1g", then I would find out what they are needing it for and try to help them out, either by passing on info where to get gold or lend it to them if I was in great financial shape myself hah.

• 32 posts
    October 22, 2018 11:37 AM PDT

/spit and move on.