Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You see a low level player begging for money...

• 9115 posts
    October 18, 2018 3:55 AM PDT

Scenario - You see a low-level player begging for money in a newbie zone, what do you do? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 1479 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:06 AM PDT

Not giving him a thing. I only give to disinterested players, usually I just buff / CR low levels unless they are fun and friendly.

Just the same when I'm low level or new to a game. I don't beg but usually end up with cool gifts because I'm friendly, fun and I like to do jokes and create bonds with people.

• 228 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:14 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You see a low-level player begging for money in a newbie zone, what do you do? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Male or female?

• 438 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:55 AM PDT
    Gotta agree with MauvaisOeil
    • 2138 posts
    October 18, 2018 4:58 AM PDT

Hopefully they shouldn't have to beg, because that whole merchants and money thing, thats just for immersion, right? I mean it doesnt have any real value.....its a game -thing, you know, because you can get what you need just from doing stuff in game-and at the right level.

I would tell them, that.

• 409 posts
    October 18, 2018 5:00 AM PDT

Are they roleplaying?

If they are: ignore/help or not in a RP way depending on if they interact with me.
    If not: Tell them it's unacceptable to beg if they ask me directly.. don't be lazy and go get some levels and grind some dosh.

This post was edited by Nimryl at October 18, 2018 5:01 AM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    October 18, 2018 5:14 AM PDT

If I honestly think they are true newbies to the game I will try and walk them through some basics and if possible craft some low level gear for them to get started with.  Getting that first set of gear, bags and a serviceable weapon can be brutally painful right at first with no resources.  I may even give a very small amount of cash to pay for the first couple levels of spells as they are usually very cheap as well.

If the character is already equipped with basic starting gear and they are begging instead of trying to get their own resources I will just ignore them.  At most I will give them a job to go farm something in the newbie area for me, if they are not willing then neither am I. 

• 27 posts
    October 18, 2018 5:54 AM PDT

Players have been begging for gold as long as MMORPGs have been around. I kind of look at them like any other type of player, its just another part of the  commmunity. It doesnt offend me, hell sometimes they are funny. Text on screen as a rule doesnt trigger me like some. I have never given anything to them, but i dont generaly ignore them either unless I am getting whisper spammed. Also, when adding to the ignore list, I do not feel  the need to make a channel announcement about doing so.

• 259 posts
    October 18, 2018 5:55 AM PDT

I don't normally hand out coins, but I do explain to them how they need to start hunting and gathering items to sell to the merchants. It's what we all had to do when we started playing to earn money.

• 198 posts
    October 18, 2018 6:22 AM PDT

I give them 100,000 copper and come back an hour later to see if they are still there ready to give it back.

This post was edited by Parascol at October 18, 2018 8:14 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 18, 2018 6:37 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

First I would try to determine if he really needed help or if he was just a moocher. If he really needed help, I would try to help him. First by grouping with him and helping him to kill some mobs for cash. I might donate some as well.

• 3852 posts
    October 18, 2018 6:45 AM PDT

I tell him/her that there are many mobs nearby that are just *dying* to provide some coins or items to sell.

Begging bothers me. I will never give a beggar anything I don't want to encourage the practice.

But I will be quite polite - it may be a brand new player that genuinely doesn't realize that most players don't appreciate total strangers asking for hand-outs. Small chance of this but not zero.

• 107 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:14 AM PDT

I tell the player to take off all of their gear and to dance for me in the most populated area. We all call that person a dirty pleb, plat whore, a fugly noob, and many other demeaning names. Then we proceed with the classic wishing cancer upon them, all of the sexual relations you and everyone else is having with their mother, and how they are still virgins who live in their mothers basement. After this I open trade and give them 5 silver and tell them, "Here, keep the change and go clean yourself up you filthy ****".

I think in this scenario everyone wins.

• 1785 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:15 AM PDT

If they're doing it nicely, like it's obviously just out of frustration trying to get started in the game, I'll help them out with advice and encouragement.

If they're not doing it nicely, ignore them.

• 178 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:27 AM PDT

Get a job! and get off my lawn!

scrubs....

• 8 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:31 AM PDT
    It depends on how they go about it. I have seen some I would "tip" because their beg made me laugh. For the most part I will buff the heck out of them and point them to the woods. Put them on ignore if they were being annoying about it.
    • 239 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:54 AM PDT
    Depends on my mood. If it is a simple tell of can I have some money? I will /duel them, they accept I kill them and leave money on body.
    I once started dropping copper as I walked and had him follow me, randomly dropping gold and plat.
    If the have no pants and they are dancing, they get money with no questions.
    For the most part I have fun at their expense. If they have fun with it and play along I will help them out.
    If they are being serious and just asking for money and running to the next guy asking I will just ignore them.
    • 612 posts
    October 18, 2018 7:58 AM PDT

If the person is just asking for Coin, I just ignore them. If the person asks for a Buff that I can cast and I'm not in a super rush then I have no problem casting it for them.

That said... I have been known to watch random low level players play and if they seem like they are really new and figuring things out, I've gone up and given them a few Plat to help get them started. But these are not players who have actually asked for anything.

• 646 posts
    October 18, 2018 8:35 AM PDT

When I have gold to spare, I like going to lowbie zones and just handing out goodies - be it coin, bags, whatever. I'll give to folks who ask when I can and don't really concern myself with the whole "you should EARN it!" stuff. If I have more than I need, why not spread the wealth and enjoyment around?

• 1399 posts
    October 18, 2018 8:53 AM PDT

Playing a Wizard in EQ I found regents needed for some of my spells good in this case. I'm speaking specifically about Bat Wings for levitation here. I would give them a quest "I'll give you X (whatever the price was) if you collect me a stack of Bat Wings. And I'll take all you can collect so if you collect more tomorrow send me a tell"

I paid way too much for bat wings this way, but it saved me from running arround chasing bats, and or the time it took to dumpster dive for them. And solved their problem for them without giving hand outs. I could pop into Rath Mountians and drop a hill giant and make that back in no time.

A LOT of good came out of this. I met new friends, future guild members. All these players leveled up (many passed me) and I had free Rez's and Crack whenever I needed it. From a value stand point I was payed back easy 10 fold.

THEN. Sony made levetation regent free and put unlimited bat wings on some merchants. "QOL improvements" at the cost of player interaction.

• 2419 posts
    October 18, 2018 9:03 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Tell them, politely, to not beg but to go out and adventure like everyone else. The money will come in time. 

• 696 posts
    October 18, 2018 9:04 AM PDT

@zorkon I like the idea of giving them a quest to do lol.

If they are really good beggers...then I will give them some. And by good I mean they have some sort of rp element to it. If they are annyoing and spammy I will ignore them. If I get rich...which I never do...but if I do...then I usually don't mind giving them gold. So I guess it depends on the situation I am in with gold at the time.

This post was edited by Watemper at October 18, 2018 9:05 AM PDT
    • 752 posts
    October 18, 2018 9:21 AM PDT
    Never have and never will give money to beggars or strangers. Now if i have a guildie that needs something like a spell i will buy the spell for them. I find that people who want things handed to them and dont want to grind copper wont stick around long. So i avoid those types of interactions with strangers
    • 627 posts
    October 18, 2018 9:27 AM PDT
    I would do the classic /slap command and continue my gathering. :)

Normally I would buff anyone asking for help and in this case I would tell him where he could go, to lvl up and find some coin or new gear.
    • 52 posts
    October 18, 2018 10:45 AM PDT

Parascol said:

I give them 100,000 copper and come back an hour later to see if they are still there ready to give it back.

thats funny, then they can move, I did that to a friend took him like 10 minutes to get to a bank because he was low level.  it was hilarious.