Forums » The Halflings

Pantheon Halflings vs EQ2 Fae

• 7 posts
    September 21, 2018 6:35 PM PDT

Although it hasn't been explicitly stated by the devs, does anyone else think that Pantheon's Halflings seem to be very similar to EQ2's Fae race, both in terms of their general personalities and being a race of nature spirits?

Were Pantheon's Halflings maybe loosely based on EQ2's Fae to some extent?

This post was edited by jfrombaugh at September 21, 2018 6:36 PM PDT
    • 1148 posts
    September 22, 2018 1:48 AM PDT

Except for the juvenile part, I really don't dig much differences. However I only spent a few month on EQ2 at various times, and never delves deep in the background, to me it was pretty spoiled overall, using EQ1's for some faction based game...

• 1311 posts
    September 22, 2018 8:46 AM PDT

Where do we get that halflings are nature spirits?  I thought they were basically human(ish) before and were cursed.  Been a while since I read up on halflings so I could be wrong, though.

• 3761 posts
    September 22, 2018 10:00 AM PDT

kelenin said:

Where do we get that halflings are nature spirits?  I thought they were basically human(ish) before and were cursed.  Been a while since I read up on halflings so I could be wrong, though.

I see no evidence that they are actually spirits. They are just enchanted with permanent adolescence. If the curse had not be halted, every generation beyond the tenth would be "born only as souls." But the curse only made it to the fifth generation, thus being called "halflings." The only race that could be considered spirits are the Gnomes. I personally wouldn't have made a connection between the Halflings and the Fae, and I haven't seen any word that Istuulamae was inspired by them. But I guess only he would know that.

• 733 posts
    September 24, 2018 12:20 PM PDT

If I recall correctly the inspiration was more from Pan's Lost Boys.

• 275 posts
    October 14, 2018 10:03 PM PDT

Zorkon and Bazgrim are correct. No intentional colloration between the two, same with the Skar and Iksar. I've never played EQ 1 or 2 and have intentionally stayed relatively ignorant on the lore of those games, so it doesn't filter into our world. 

I've read a lot of feedback that the Skar were clearly dervied from the Iksar, so much so I had to check them out more deeply since the redesign. The truth is that I didn't have them in my mind or even know what they were, but I understand the points of connection the community sees. When the initial idea for the race was finalized years ago it took someone on the team to say the name reminded them of the Iksar.

The Elves having a giant tree in WoW was also lost on me. It's in Norse lore, so it's a pretty old theme and there's nothing new under the Sun. Fantasy as a genre has been so explored by now that just about everything you try "reminds people of _____". But we try to push ourselves in depth, breadth and creativity. Hopefully the world feels "old and yet new". 

We do have Fae in our world, however they do not live in Sorhiryth. 

• 331 posts
    October 16, 2018 12:11 AM PDT

Istuulamae said:

The Elves having a giant tree in WoW was also lost on me. It's in Norse lore, so it's a pretty old theme and there's nothing new under the Sun. Fantasy as a genre has been so explored by now that just about everything you try "reminds people of _____". But we try to push ourselves in depth, breadth and creativity. Hopefully the world feels "old and yet new"

Pretty much. The genre is one of the most popular in gaming and in the realm of MMORPGs in particular it has been treaded time and time again. There will be some similarities in many cases because all are inspired or derived from something else in mythology of fantasy as a whole. At this point it is virtually 100% impossible to create a new fanstasy-based game that won't draw some comparisons to something else. So with that just do your own thing and make it with your own twist. The world will become its own thing despite any comparisons. :) 

This post was edited by Kratuk at October 16, 2018 12:13 AM PDT
    • 1148 posts
    October 16, 2018 1:01 AM PDT

Istuulamae said:

Zorkon and Bazgrim are correct. No intentional colloration between the two, same with the Skar and Iksar. I've never played EQ 1 or 2 and have intentionally stayed relatively ignorant on the lore of those games, so it doesn't filter into our world. 

I've read a lot of feedback that the Skar were clearly dervied from the Iksar, so much so I had to check them out more deeply since the redesign. The truth is that I didn't have them in my mind or even know what they were, but I understand the points of connection the community sees. When the initial idea for the race was finalized years ago it took someone on the team to say the name reminded them of the Iksar.

The Elves having a giant tree in WoW was also lost on me. It's in Norse lore, so it's a pretty old theme and there's nothing new under the Sun. Fantasy as a genre has been so explored by now that just about everything you try "reminds people of _____". But we try to push ourselves in depth, breadth and creativity. Hopefully the world feels "old and yet new". 

I really don't see why people see iksars in skars. The sonority and evilness is pretty much all they have in common. Iksars were lawfull evil conquerors, builders while skars seems chaotic evil devourers of all goodness.

• 2035 posts
    October 16, 2018 11:12 AM PDT

Yeah I don't really see it either beyond them both seemingly hating all other races. 

• 357 posts
    October 18, 2018 8:29 AM PDT

Iksar said: both seemingly hating all other races.

Sounds like the Daleks... who came from Skaro.... oh my...