Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Account reputation rather than character reputation

This topic has been closed.
    • 470 posts
    December 23, 2019 8:44 PM PST

Spluffen said:

I'd rather it wasn't. I always keep an alt that I won't tell my friends about. Sometimes I just wanna be alone and if this feature is implemented then I guess I can't play and do that at the same time.

Not gonna lie. That's me also. I don't do things to get a negative rep but sometimes I do like to drop off the grid once in a while. It's one reason among many that I absolutely despise the account name. They make that absolutely impossible even with the little appear offline or invisible options. I have been tracked down several times by various guildees when I dropped off the grid for an hour or two in multiple MMOs with these, and I use this term loosely here, "features.". Along with the fact that it renders character names absolutely 100% pointless.

This post was edited by Kratuk at December 23, 2019 8:48 PM PST
    • 370 posts
    December 23, 2019 11:19 PM PST

EQ didn't need a built in reputation system. A couple things factored into ensuring people cared about how the server viewed them as a player.

Time to level was very long. If you did develop a bad reputation it wasn't easy to simply reroll.

Server transfers weren't a thing for a long time and then once added you transfered naked with nothing. You couldn't easily server hop to get a clean slate.

Name changes weren't a thing, short of a name violation.

The people on the server were willing to black list people. If people aren't willing to refuse to group with people who have a bad reputation none of this matters. 

• 521 posts
    December 24, 2019 6:12 AM PST

oneADseven said:

It's been stated many times that we won't have the kind of reputation system alluded to by HemlockReaper.  Here is a quote from Kilsin:

"We will not have a rating, reputation or ranking system, we have made this very clear."  --  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3210/character-reputation/view/page/3

There are many players who are vehemently against any sort of account-wide tracking, even when it comes to associating alts with mains.  This topic was discussed quite a bit earlier this year on this thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10792/alts-and-knowing-who-is-who/view/page/1

I Think that’s unfortunate, I do believe in accountability, and making degenerates jump though hoops to behave inappropriately, But I can understand VR may not want players “judging” others based off their illicit or disruptive past. I know I wouldn't’ want to group with someone who had several reports of scamming others in trade, or Gold selling in Chat on a secret character, so in this case Ignorance may be bliss.

• 3237 posts
    December 24, 2019 7:04 AM PST

HemlockReaper said:

I Think that’s unfortunate, I do believe in accountability, and making degenerates jump though hoops to behave inappropriately, But I can understand VR may not want players “judging” others based off their illicit or disruptive past. I know I wouldn't’ want to group with someone who had several reports of scamming others in trade, or Gold selling in Chat on a secret character, so in this case Ignorance may be bliss.

It's not so much that VR doesn't want folks judging others based off of their illicit or disruptive past.  Maintaining a good reputation is supposed to be important in Pantheon but there are far better ways to go about this than having an up/down voting system that is ripe for abuse.  Players will do what they have always done.  If someone does something shady you will hear all about it on community forums and public Discord channels, especially if the shady behavior can be proven with screenshots or video evidence.  If someone is trying to sell gold they will likely get suspended and/or banned.  Same deal with scammers.  For those kinds of egregious offenses, we have to place trust in the CS team and allow them to do their job.  Another way to look at is this ... if someone is guilty of doing those things repeatedly, there should already be a community expectation that they will no longer be welcome to play the game.  The idea that I could run into another player who has a rap sheet of scamming and RMT seems awful.  I never want to see that kind of track record associated with someone in-game because them being there means that the rules aren't being enforced in an acceptable manner in the first place.

• 9115 posts
    December 25, 2019 2:29 PM PST

oneADseven said:

It's been stated many times that we won't have the kind of reputation system alluded to by HemlockReaper.  Here is a quote from Kilsin:

"We will not have a rating, reputation or ranking system, we have made this very clear."  --  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3210/character-reputation/view/page/3

There are many players who are vehemently against any sort of account-wide tracking, even when it comes to associating alts with mains.  This topic was discussed quite a bit earlier this year on this thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10792/alts-and-knowing-who-is-who/view/page/1

Thank you! :)