Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Account reputation rather than character reputation

This topic has been closed.
    • 303 posts
    September 21, 2018 1:45 AM PDT

Melamber said:

Alternatively EQ had /anon /role it might be as easy as allowing people to opt out when they want via /private where your family name isn’t shown when people are running queries. Heck there are times I’m on my main and I just want to be left alone. With Discord being a thing now you have to log out of that to not be reachable anyways. Personally I’m not generally in guilds that are so hard up that they will harass me to come to stuff, but of course mileage varies.

Oh yea, tell me about it >_<. I'm almost always on invisible mode in discord. My guild is nice, though, but some people (like me) need time to be alone. Not always up for conversations.

Melamber said: 

Regarding players who have a bad reputation but want to purge it via a new character, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I think if you were known as a KSer / ninja looter / trainer then you shouldn’t just be able to log on an alt and wash away all that.   You should be accountable for those actions, but realistically people can start a new account and start fresh so this system isn’t really going to stop that sort of behaviour. Unfortunately behaviour like this does exist in MMO’s and learning to deal with it is par for the course, however I don’t think features should be altered / not implemented to reward that sort of play.

If they continue that behaviour I guess they'll regain the same bad reputation. If they change their ways then I think they deserve to be looked at for who they currently are rather than who they were.

• 1479 posts
    September 21, 2018 1:51 AM PDT

Flapp said:

zewtastic said:

Most serious players will usually have two or more accounts, so not sure what good account based reputation would mean in the grand scheme anyways.

Why? if you aren't boxing, you aren't serious? why would i want to pay for two subs? i can't be serious and play one account? sorry, but that statement makes no sense at all. 

Yeah I'm agreeing on this one, and sorry to sound snarky but "Most players that can't properly find friends and teamates will have two accounts or more.".

Of course that's exagerated, but taking my example, I will allways play with my girlfriends so why would I bother dual boxing as I have a systemic friend to play with, and only 4 slots to fill for a full group ?

Zew sometimes you have great remarks, but sometimes you really seem out of place...

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at September 21, 2018 1:52 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    September 21, 2018 7:54 AM PDT

Flapp said:

zewtastic said:

Most serious players will usually have two or more accounts, so not sure what good account based reputation would mean in the grand scheme anyways.

Why? if you aren't boxing, you aren't serious? why would i want to pay for two subs? i can't be serious and play one account? sorry, but that statement makes no sense at all. 

I can only speak for myself and other friends. Having the ability to have two characters online simultaneously helps a great deal in filling out a small group, or for crafting needs.

Sometimes you can't do all the crafting you want on one account.

Many people over years of MMOs have wished they made that alt on a 2nd account. Especially when you find it reaally valuable as a buffer bot or convenient teleport, etc. The reasons are endless.

So yes, serious players usually have a 2nd account.

And I would add, some people would share their account info. with friends, so that worked as a 2nd account as well.

For many years in Vanguard I had two accounts and two friends had two accounts And we all shared info. Between 6 accounts we had all crafters, harvesters and all classes that we could call on. We did the same in EQ2, I had 3 accounts with SoE.

When you think you might play a game for months there is no reason for a 2nd account. Years later you wish had made one.

I think if asked, there are many people that will say they had two accounts for an MMO like those that played a lot.

Serious is defined by players that do play a lot of hours doing as many aspects of a game as possible. Korean p2w grind-fest games are designed so there is less need for 2nd accounts, so I would not even link them into this classification.

This post was edited by zewtastic at September 21, 2018 8:14 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

>So yes, serious players usually have a 2nd account.<

Having played many MMOs and MUDs I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that this statement is entirely wrong and Flapp is correct.

Some serious players have multiple accounts. Most people with multiple accounts are serious players. But most people that play a MMO seriously (meaning regularly and for significant cumulative amounts of time) only have one account.

Now if you define "serious player" as meaning someone that spends as much time on it as on a job - let us say 40 hours a week or more - then maybe you are right. In which case I merely think your definition of serious player is way off-base.

• 409 posts
    September 21, 2018 10:07 AM PDT

@the "serious player arguement"

Doesn't really matter what you deem a serious player is anyway. It's all a matter of perspective. It was a flat bold statement to make by Zew; but no need to jump on it. Everyone sees the world/game differently.

• 2138 posts
    September 21, 2018 10:17 AM PDT

I havent read all the coments and my reaction is purely off the Op subject line- I havent even read the OP's post!

But what jumped out at  me was: if the character wa banned that would mean the account would not be banned? like a way to keep the account if the character was banned. so the person who got banned, would still be able to log in under the same account but a new or different character.

• 1479 posts
    September 21, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

Flapp said:

zewtastic said:

I can only speak for myself and other friends. Having the ability to have two characters online simultaneously helps a great deal in filling out a small group, or for crafting needs.

Sometimes you can't do all the crafting you want on one account.

Many people over years of MMOs have wished they made that alt on a 2nd account. Especially when you find it reaally valuable as a buffer bot or convenient teleport, etc. The reasons are endless.

And I would add, some people would share their account info. with friends, so that worked as a 2nd account as well.

For many years in Vanguard I had two accounts and two friends had two accounts And we all shared info. Between 6 accounts we had all crafters, harvesters and all classes that we could call on. We did the same in EQ2, I had 3 accounts with SoE.

When you think you might play a game for months there is no reason for a 2nd account. Years later you wish had made one.

I think if asked, there are many people that will say they had two accounts for an MMO like those that played a lot.

Serious is defined by players that do play a lot of hours doing as many aspects of a game as possible. Korean p2w grind-fest games are designed so there is less need for 2nd accounts, so I would not even link them into this classification.

Well, that explains that : You and two friends had two accounts, which sum up as a generality...

I'll stick with the first sentence : You can only speak for yourself and other friends. That happens, but that's far to be a general fact at all, it just happened to be very common in your surroundings as a micro-group tendance.

Edit : I would not call that serious but "self sufficient", well the negative impact of socialization would be here but that's not the subject.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at September 21, 2018 10:34 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    September 21, 2018 11:24 AM PDT

The point being. Lots of players have multiple accounts. So making reputation account-wide makes little sense and is not realistic.

Other perspectives are players that role-play bad characters. Why should the reputation of an evil dark elf affect the good paladin?

Also bad actors, such as guild leaders that maliciously attack players using the force of their guild, making false and malicious claims ala 4chan style. Hard to prove/disprove when reputation is falsely maligned.

In this day, if something cannot be proven with logs and video, it should not affect reputation.

• 370 posts
    September 21, 2018 12:51 PM PDT

Here's the thing. Reputation in EQ worked because it took an extremely long time to level. This is why servers were able to police themselves. I'm assuming Pantheon will have a longer leveling time than current MMO's. IMO this is the key. You want the leveling time long enough so that it makes rerolling simply because you pissed people off an undesirable option. You also don't want the leveling experience so long that it turns people off.

If the leveling time is long enough you don't need to bind their reputation to their account. Furthermore, if you have a good reputation you just tell people "hey this is my alt I'm so and so" and boom reputation transferred.

When I raided in EQ I ran 2 accounts and I had alts that my guild did not know about. Sometimes I just wanted to relax and not get pulled into something. Sometimes I just wanted to experience the game over again. I had tons of reasons for doing low level, or alternate, content. If my reputation was account based I couldn't... essentially hide.

• 303 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:40 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

I can only speak for myself and other friends.

zewtastic said:

Lmao

• 370 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:42 PM PDT

Spluffen said:

zewtastic said:

I can only speak for myself and other friends.

zewtastic said:

Lmao

I get the joke there... but I think someone else already said it best.

You don't have to have a second account to be a serious player... but if you have a second account you're probably a serious player.

• 1479 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:43 PM PDT

Or willing to be serious !

There are a lot of very bad dual boxers out there...

• 1120 posts
    September 21, 2018 5:24 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

The point being. Lots of players have multiple accounts. So making reputation account-wide makes little sense and is not realistic.

Not only this, but the actual people that are being pieces of **** will just purchase another account if they develop a reputation that they cannot come back from.

Typically the worst people are also involved in some sort of scamming/rmt and will have no issues purchasing another game.

• 388 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:47 PM PDT

well guys. I am not a serious player. I planned on making friends and grouping instead of boxing and soloing and using friends log ins... 

I am just a filthy casual ;p

(jus F*n w you zew, don't take it personal) 

This post was edited by Flapp at September 21, 2018 8:53 PM PDT
    • 690 posts
    September 22, 2018 1:04 AM PDT
    The new Skar faces could probably look like the troll meme with enough slider Fu. PvP servers won't be a focus so there will probably be trolly exploits.
    Of course I don't want any characters I may or may not make under those circumstances to have an effect on my main.
    I do like the idea of a toggle to show off a unique account ID. It isn't hard to do, and so long as you can't tell how many characters someone has, it doesn't restrict any playstyles I can think of. It can add a sense of community for some players.
    • 844 posts
    September 22, 2018 2:17 AM PDT

I really cam't take any of you serious.

• 303 posts
    September 22, 2018 2:35 AM PDT

That's alright, if you box you won't have to worry about whoever else is serious or not ;)

• 388 posts
    September 22, 2018 9:09 PM PDT

Spluffen said:

That's alright, if you box you won't have to worry about whoever else is serious or not ;)

true. i won't group with boxers. 1 person playing two characters halfassed. no thanks. 

• 363 posts
    September 23, 2018 9:58 AM PDT

Character rep

• 1120 posts
    September 24, 2018 12:57 PM PDT

Flapp said:

Spluffen said:

true. i won't group with boxers. 1 person playing two characters halfassed. no thanks. 

Lol.  This is funny.  People say things like this. But then get mad when a boxer doesnt invite them to a group.

Most (read again, most) boxers are significantly better than most (again. Read, most) players.

I would me boxing a healer over most random pug healers, even while I play the tank in the group.

• 409 posts
    September 24, 2018 1:48 PM PDT

Porygon said:
    Most (read again, most) boxers are significantly better than most (again. Read, most) players.

*bursts out laughing* --- sorry I usually stay out of arguments.. but this statement is just unreal. Such a bold thing to say. hilarious!
    You only got away with boxing in EQ because it was such a slow paced but more tactical game on the whole. I could rant on about the RP aspects of the game vs meta vs "in the spirit of the game" as to why it shouldn't be allowed and that fact that it's point blank exploitative to box.. but I won't because VR has said they're allowing it+this isn't the thread topic for that. Most boxers better than most players... ha! lol prove it to me.

This post was edited by Nimryl at September 24, 2018 1:49 PM PDT
    • 34 posts
    September 24, 2018 2:02 PM PDT

Nimryl said:

Porygon said:

*bursts out laughing* --- sorry I usually stay out of arguments.. but this statement is just unreal. Such a bold thing to say. hilarious!
    You only got away with boxing in EQ because it was such a slow paced but more tactical game on the whole. I could rant on about the RP aspects of the game vs meta vs "in the spirit of the game" as to why it shouldn't be allowed and that fact that it's point blank exploitative to box.. but I won't because VR has said they're allowing it+this isn't the thread topic for that. Most boxers better than most players... ha! lol prove it to me.

Haha, Boxers are so superior to solo players that my assassin used to take out whole boxed groups solo when pvp first came out in EQ2 :)

This post was edited by splitpawthanos at September 24, 2018 2:04 PM PDT
    • 510 posts
    September 24, 2018 2:22 PM PDT

I have never dual boxed.  Ever.  I have one account for SoE.  I had 22 characters for EQ2.  I hade a large number of characters in EQ.  I even had 5 characters in Free Realms.  3 characters in Pirates of the Burning Sea.  And the list goes on and on.  But I have never had more than one account for any title.

I would be more careful in self-analyzing that people without at least two accounts aren't "serious" players...

• 1120 posts
    September 24, 2018 4:37 PM PDT

splitpawthanos said:

Haha, Boxers are so superior to solo players that my assassin used to take out whole boxed groups solo when pvp first came out in EQ2 :)

Noone is talking about pvp.   The fact that you would even bring up pvp to try and display that you are better kind of silly.  I mean cmon.

• 1120 posts
    September 24, 2018 4:46 PM PDT

Nimryl said:

Porygon said:

I said most.   Twice.  And I've boxed healers and tanks in multiple games including heroic dungeons in various expansions in wow.  It's not hard.  I'm also the type of boxer that will invite other players to my group.. and the amount of players that play a dps class worse than I can play both a healer and tank at the same time is absurd.  It's one of the reasons I prefer to box 2 MAJOR roles.  So i dont have to deal with pugs.

As far as it not being allowed. I can understand if you want to restrict it on a RP server... but on a regular server theres no reason why boxing should not be allowed.  Not everyone takes the roleplaying in roleplaying game seriously.  I also dont even understand how you can assume its exploitative lol, but to each his own. 

As to your last point.  Roll on my server, and I will completely change your mind on how good boxers are. I guarantee it.  Infact most of the time noone even knows I'm boxing unless I tell them...