Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The XP Journey

• 291 posts
    December 8, 2019 10:18 AM PST

The only reason why "group" populations ever dropped OUT of games in the first place was because they watered down the content (across all games) for people to solo more, and get a trophy like everyone else (full court press happened around 2004/05). Most money holding people in the world are like "gimme gimme" kids on the inside, and the industry (read:WoW) changed the mmo buisness model to abuse this variable for financial gain at the cost of the previous customers experience. Why group when you can do it alone and get all the reward? Same with the bots and their mentality (same people). Following that same path is not going to reverse this trend. Maybe people were not there so they dont have personal experience? I dont know, but what I do know is this: when the game REQUIRED a group to progress reasonably it forced solo playing introverts with no social skills to develop said skills and thus the game became their everything. It became like a true friend/parent finally teaching them something in life, and so they fell in love with it. They hungered and thirsted after an experience that existed no where else in their world (unfettered co-operation). Im of the opinion that this is the essence of the vision. Real life experience of co-operation is not currently allowed/recommended in real life. Just look at the political climate everywhere you go nowadays, shits way outta hand. Of course this is ALL just my opinion.

I believe the above is true because I lived through it. Maybe Im wrong but it seems to me that this same lower level mentality in others is here fighting against growing up essentially, and truly doesnt want to play with others. It just wants to compete with them, and argue/be sarcastic. Thats fine of course, but theres tons of games for that mindset. This is why every modern game is full of grown children and not even slightly fun for internal adults anymore. Because the companies care more about the quantity of money (all the gimme gimmes) than the quality of their own work (EQ fans who been here 20 years straight now and would of never stopped paying). I understand that pretty much all "succesful" companies follow this business model, however the world is changing and soon those who follow this path will be seen as total failures as well as frauds. This is also myperspective. Perhaps Im wrong.

All that said Im confident there will be solo content for classes that can solo. And for that Im thankful.

P.S. in MY opinion being able to solo mobs NOT designed for solo is FUN. Soloing SOLO content is BORING! Id rather meet people and find a challenge. I can log into ESO, or console, or wherever else and solo all damn day every day. Tired of soloing personally.

• 159 posts
    December 8, 2019 12:35 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

... I understand that pretty much all "succesful" companies follow this business model, however the world is changing and soon those who follow this path will be seen as total failures as well as frauds. This is also myperspective. Perhaps Im wrong.

I hope you're right.

Alyonyah said:

P.S. in MY opinion being able to solo mobs NOT designed for solo is FUN. Soloing SOLO content is BORING! Id rather meet people and find a challenge. I can log into ESO, or console, or wherever else and solo all damn day every day. Tired of soloing personally.

Well said. I agree.

It's because most games ensure that every class can solo, so no one can complain and everyone is successful. Design the content around group play, and let the solo chips fall where they may.

• 2752 posts
    December 9, 2019 11:00 AM PST

I feel it is important to both have the level 1-5 range be soloable and relatively quick (4-5 hours solo). Of course it would be healthy to encourage grouping and have that make it even faster and more rewarding, but not to the point it feels necessary or like not grouping is a total slog. This gives new players (those new to gaming or the genre) a little room to get the feel and basics of gameplay down a little bit and time to explore their class/early abilities on their own terms without any pressures of performance that come with grouping. They get a little early momentum in gameplay with their handful of early levels and new abilities to learn and play with. Any early quests should direct players toward grouping in order to accomplish. 

From level five onward I feel is the best time to clamp down and make it very apparent that any sort of efficient further progress will require grouping and push players toward that. 

Also: I feel level 1 mobs should start out as blue con or lower so players know/learn from the start that a white con (I think blue or light blue con should be "even") is something you'd want a group for. 

• 291 posts
    December 9, 2019 12:14 PM PST

Iksar said:

Also: I feel level 1 mobs should start out as blue con or lower so players know/learn from the start that a white con (I think blue or light blue con should be "even") is something you'd want a group for. 

This really lends to personal power in the long run as well, and makes each level "feel" like a substantial jump as opposed to the watered down gentle curve. I strongly prefer this for the long term health of the game.

• 291 posts
    December 9, 2019 12:14 PM PST

Doubled

This post was edited by Alyonyah at December 9, 2019 12:15 PM PST