Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Pantheon has inspired me to learn Unity 3D game programming!

• 1468 posts
    September 15, 2018 7:00 PM PDT

I've always been interested in game development but never really got stuck into it. It was the reason I first learnt to program but I never actually did any game programming. For some odd reason, I ended up spending most of my time doing websites instead.

Having said that I've been inspired by all of the indie games coming out to try my hand at game development. I know it is an incredibly complex task, and it'll take me a long time to learn, but I want to do it this time. I have a few ideas for simple games myself.

Is anyone else interested in game development? I thought this would be a good thread to keep each other motivated :).

• 844 posts
    September 16, 2018 10:59 AM PDT

If you have an interest then pursue it. Unity is a great tool and used by a large number of games on all platforms. You could make and self-publish a game even. Some have done it.

I started in 2000 learning how to use the web (it was new then). Became an expert, well very proficient in many aspects. I hate that word 'expert', it's largely overused. I have to give EQ1 the credit for that motivation back then. I simply wanted to create a web tool for our guild to use for more accurate accounting of raid loot. My skills in LINUX, PHP, MYSQL, JS, JQUERY, AJAX, CSS, HTML, PHOTOSHOP, APACHE, etc, etc. have helped me a great deal.

It's free to learn Unity and can lead to great things if you have a talent and motivation.