Forums » News and Announcements

School is back in Session: September Newsletter

• 945 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:19 PM PDT

I like the direction that the Skar are going in.  (Personal opinion incoming!) I feel like it will be much more immersive having a species that has biomechanics similar to humans to include joints and dextrous hands with opposable thumbs!  Although it was a cool original concept, in a game where players wear armor and wield item, having horns all over your body and having giant nails where you should have fingers and toes may not have been the best choice.  :)

Now they are a race that appeal to those of us that may be a bit narssasistic and still care about the appearance of our characters.  ;)

• 844 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:23 PM PDT

Mathir said:

Skar seem a little less interesting than the former model, but I get why the change was needed.  These sort of remind me of WoW's trolls but with a Cryptkeeper face.  They seem to fit the pure evil race option quite well.

Newsletter overall was pretty light.  I guess that's fine since the last four have been heavy with the class reveals.  You guys can slack off for a month on this thing.  A little concerned that you've only gotten one more zone completed over the last four months.  And it's probably not even completed, I expect the city will be grayboxed like Thronefast continues to be.  Release date for 2025 looks to still be on track.  Hoping you guys have some surprises to show us this month.  

Hard to create anything these days that does not look like something else.

And as for zones? It's a tiny team. I have to believe you read the forums. Yes it's going to take a long while.

My current guess for alpha is mid-2019 earliest and thats based on the statement last month that they want Kingsreach mostly complete. Which makes sense. Why unleash thousands of players to no content.

• 3 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:38 PM PDT

Looks pretty coo!

• 220 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:42 PM PDT
    Happy to see the skar curtain finally pulled back! It's a great reveal.

Contrasting the dead shear with Lucent is a nice touch too. That's a fantastic lore point!
    • 363 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:15 PM PDT

Nice rework. In my opinion a much better version of the Skar. Plus its now pretty creepy. Good update. 

• 287 posts
    September 14, 2018 5:29 PM PDT
    What a nice change. I am considering making one now. P4 sounds like it will be a great experience.
    • 184 posts
    September 15, 2018 7:13 AM PDT

Wow… I’m a big fan of the artistic revamp of the Skar; I liked them previously as well but felt the spikes protruding from the head, fingers and feet were a little over the top. This new design is spot on for what is going to be the KOS race of Terminus (I’m starting to get chills comparing them to EQ’s Iksar…. I like it…) Great Job!!

Rint

• 624 posts
    September 18, 2018 7:28 AM PDT

Evil boney bard-hating folk: good-to-know;

Elf hometown (eventually with bards): fascinating;

Vandraad reveal: PRICELESS

Thanks for the newsletter VR team, always appreciate another peek behind the curtain.

• 36 posts
    September 19, 2018 7:15 AM PDT

Sadly this has not fired me up like it has many others and I'm not a fan at all. But that's just my personal tastes and I get it that they need to create diversity to make this game work. But call me a traditionalists and even boring as my image of them and even the new looking gnomes would be different. I feel VR have a really tough job creating models which we all like if fact it's impossible to please everyone especially me hehe.

But over time I am sure I will get used to them just like I did the beastlord and frogs in EQ. I loved all the races which Brad and his team created in Vanguard and was hoping to see a mix and match from both eq and Vanguard appear here. Having spent 19 years looking at my character animation in both of the above games I need you guys to make the animated characters I want to love and be part of not just another short term slapped together looking game.

Normally graphics do not play a part in most of my gaming but I make an exception when playing an MMO. I never played Wow for this reason cartoon graphic might make it easier to run a server and that was fine for that game. In fact if you look at Wow it pretty much took what EQ did and just used the cartoon slant and made a (Insert your Word here)! **** load of money hence why it's still going.

It's taken me 19 years to even create a Hafling on the current TLP sever and I'm having fun but I only did that as they get extra exp...Again Finding it hard to love the Haflings on here so it looks like I will end up being a Dorf Chanter, but I will have to wait and see once get a chance to test the races and class combinations to find the right fit. I love the direction you guys are taking this game and can see all the hard work you are doing to get where this game needs to go.

Would love to see you bring out two new races a year once you get going to keep the game fresh too but I'm getting ahead of myself here lol.