Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Best way to learn Unity?

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 7, 2018 5:50 PM PDT
    Jason Weimann, one of the best Unity programmers I know, is opening his class again at a great price. If you ever wanted to go down the path into game dev, this is the place to start!

Honored to call him friend and to have him on the Pantheon team where he and the rest of the programmers continue to astound me almost every single day!

We also remain very happy with our engine choice:  Unity!  Here'a a great way to dig in a bit and see what game development is all about in 2018!

Check it out:

• 257 posts
    September 7, 2018 10:03 PM PDT

Pretty cool. If I worked in this field I would do it. Couple hundred bucks for a 6 week course, no brainer. Especially now that Unity is making major gains in the current gaming field. Side note, I wonder if Unity has considered taking an approach like Valve (but further) and making their own Linux Distro? Free OS that encourages gamers into their ecosystem.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 8, 2018 2:50 AM PDT

Retsof said:

Pretty cool. If I worked in this field I would do it. Couple hundred bucks for a 6 week course, no brainer. Especially now that Unity is making major gains in the current gaming field. Side note, I wonder if Unity has considered taking an approach like Valve (but further) and making their own Linux Distro? Free OS that encourages gamers into their ecosystem.

Not sure about the Unity part, but it makes sense and they're probably working on it, and if not, we can always encourage it -- we have a great relationship with those guys.

• 1281 posts
    September 10, 2018 6:41 AM PDT

Seems like a great value.

• 3852 posts
    September 10, 2018 7:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the information.

I note that the NVidia cards about to be released have a new technology that is probably about useless today since few if any games support it - but given NVidia's market share that is likely to change. Does anyone know if that is something Unity might work on incorporating? Obviously that would be a big marketing plus for any new games using Unity - to be one of a relatively small number of games that do this. 

Pantheon, of course, will not do anything that limits players to those with high-end computers nor will Unity, but perhaps bells and whistles can be added without detracting from the existing user base that doesn't have the new cards which may prove either a flash in the pan or the way most of us will play in five years.

This post was edited by dorotea at September 10, 2018 7:42 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    September 10, 2018 12:35 PM PDT

Hey Dorotea

The tech behind RTX is ... a hot topic. The tech itself is quite old ... years. Hardware wise, I don't see RTX panning out long term, at least not in the next few years. There has been a major shift from 1080p to 2k and even 4k monitors. The compute power required is just too much. What I do see coming out of RTX is the programming. What NVidia has done by packaging all of it together has potential (it's really just DirectX stuff). 

Mind you, the main player has always been consoles. Now that the new generation (PS5) is going to be AMD x86 based platform we should see, I hope, big improvements. Either way, now that we are at 7nm, companies like NVidia are finally starting to think out-of-the-box. It's about time.

This post was edited by Retsof at September 10, 2018 12:35 PM PDT
    • 257 posts
    September 10, 2018 12:52 PM PDT

Go check out Jason Weimann's Unity Class !!

This deal is pretty good (cut and paste from link):

Unity Master

6 Week Unity Mastery Course

Everything you need to develop 2D or 3D games on your own.  We’ll go through the basics, all the way to some of the most advanced topics.  By the time the course is done, you’ll have built multiple games for different genres and be on your way to Unity Mastery.

• Work along with the other students
    • 1 on 1 interaction with myself
    • Live daily updates and assignments
    • Continual code reviews
    • Build three complete games the right way from start to finish
    • Opportunities to customize and show off your unique work to the class

$397

Today Only:
    SPECIAL BONUS
    Join the Mastery Course today and get the VR Wizard Course completely FREE
    ($1397 Value)

Edit: had original price above to show the difference. I deleted it because copy/paste here ended up looking a bit confusing. Total current price (with discount) is $397.

This post was edited by Retsof at September 10, 2018 12:55 PM PDT