Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

a small shout out to Brad and Pantheon on Youtube

• 644 posts
    August 27, 2018 5:45 PM PDT

Youtube channel "nerdSlayer" does some documentary style videos on videogames and does a series called "death of a game" where he discusses the rise (and fall) of games.  He did one called Death of a Game: The EverQuest Franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwgJixA98M

Now, it's not disparaging (at all) and it isn't controversial.  In fact it';s very reverent about EQ1.  Two important things:  1) he really nails the explanation of what made EQ1 special and explicitly discussed the smaller community of players who are dedicated to this type of game and 2) at the end he specifically said to keep an eye out for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

I'm sure he probably has some details imperfect but, overall, it was an interesting evaluation.  I never knew the subscriber numbers EQ had - I'm even more impressed and excited after learning that.  I do remember the day Brad announced in game that we broke 100K simultaneous players loggged in.  That was pretty cool.

Anyway, it's a nice discussion about those things (I think) we all believe in and that PRF is promising to deliver.

This post was edited by fazool at August 28, 2018 4:12 AM PDT
    • 409 posts
    August 28, 2018 2:54 AM PDT

Really enjoyed the video; a nice trip down memory lane.

• 1247 posts
    August 28, 2018 9:09 AM PDT

I love Brad McQuaid. Thanks for sharing video. 

• 1019 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:23 PM PDT

Brads had his day in the spot light.  Screw Brad.  It's time for Chris to shine.  I love Chris.  He's the real brains behind this game and if it has any chance to succed it's going to be because of him.  Well, him and the incorporation of all my ideas.

(Dear Brad, no hard feelings and I don't really mean screw you.  I still love you too, kinda like I love my oldest pair of underwear.  They remind me of good times and are comfortable and familiar, but just don't carry the load anymore)

This post was edited by Kittik at August 28, 2018 3:50 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:37 PM PDT

Kittik said:

Brads had his day in the spot light.  Screw Brad.  It's time for Chris to shine.  I love Chris.  He's the real brains behind this game and if it has any chance to succed it's going to be because of him.  Well, him and the encorperation of all my ideas.

(Dear Brad, no hard feelings and I don't really mean screw you.  I still love you too, kinda like I love my oldest pair of underwear.  They remind me of good times and are comfortable and familiar, but just don't carry the load anymore)

This is the strangest post I've read in a long time.  In case it wasn't a joke I will reply:

Chris is clearly an invaluable reason why we're all here.   His pedigree and resume have an impressive background in the gaming and tech industry but he is a businessman, first and foremost.  Essentially he is the one making this all possible through providing and acquiring the funding.  With that he obviously gets the final say so has influence over the company direciton.

But this whole thing, in my opinion, is Brad's creation.  I've followed Brad's work since the early days (around 989 time).  EQ, Vaguard, Pantheon these all have that same certain something about them. This whole tihng has always been from Brad's ideas and beginning.  Now they have brought in a seemingly really good team to really do the creation of this world, including lore, world design, everything about the content as well as all the game mechanics.

I think we're lucky to have both of them and, most importantly the team that is creating this.

• 52 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:47 PM PDT

I think he was being facetious? I think?

• 1019 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:49 PM PDT

fazool said:

Kittik said:

Brads had his day in the spot light.  Screw Brad.  It's time for Chris to shine.  I love Chris.  He's the real brains behind this game and if it has any chance to succed it's going to be because of him.  Well, him and the incorporation of all my ideas.

This is the strangest post I've read in a long time.  In case it wasn't a joke I will reply:

Chris is clearly an invaluable reason why we're all here.   His pedigree and resume have an impressive background in the gaming and tech industry but he is a businessman, first and foremost.  Essentially he is the one making this all possible through providing and acquiring the funding.  With that he obviously gets the final say so has influence over the company direciton.

But this whole thing, in my opinion, is Brad's creation.  I've followed Brad's work since the early days (around 989 time).  EQ, Vaguard, Pantheon these all have that same certain something about them. This whole tihng has always been from Brad's ideas and beginning.  Now they have brought in a seemingly really good team to really do the creation of this world, including lore, world design, everything about the content as well as all the game mechanics.

I think we're lucky to have both of them and, most importantly the team that is creating this.

There were jokish parts in there.  Good reply none-the-less.

This post was edited by Kittik at August 28, 2018 3:50 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:49 PM PDT

Am I the only one that does not want or need to see one hero in a teamwork ? I mean, VR has 30 employees and even if one of them is responsible of 3 times the work of others, he still only did 10% of the job, and 90% is due to the 29 others.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at August 28, 2018 4:05 PM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    August 28, 2018 3:51 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Am I the only one that does not want or need to see one hero in a teamwork ? I mean, VR has 30% employees and even if one of them is responsible of 3 times the work of others, he still only did 10% of the job.

I'm really confused by your math here.

• 1479 posts
    August 28, 2018 4:10 PM PDT

There was a percent left that was edited just as you quoted ;)

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at August 28, 2018 4:11 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    August 28, 2018 4:34 PM PDT

Kittik said:

I don't understand given the youtube video is about Classic EverQuest. Anyway, in my opinion Brad's experience and visionary direction come second to none. That being said, Chris is doing some awesome work too. 

• 188 posts
    August 28, 2018 5:10 PM PDT

McQuaid & Perkins 2020!!    and of course the rest of the team :-)

This post was edited by Kastor at August 28, 2018 5:23 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    August 29, 2018 11:26 AM PDT

For every great company there is a dreamer and  doer.  Best popular example is Steven Jobs and Wasniek (ms)  In this case we are blessed with two Dreamers in control of production.  Brad has been at both the forefront and the industries current difficulty.  Him being part of everquest was the start of it all.  His work on the initial release along with its honestly best expansions kunrak and velious shows he can get content created with great quality and vision. In this experience there he was a afforded a lot of forgivenes. We as a player base had no idea of what worked or what did not, nor did he.  The vision was by all means a success.  He has had the very rare.. rare experience in mmorpg as a whole.  He created the genre as we know it today.  He also had the experience of creating a AAA title after the release of WoW (which never would have happened if Everquest had not proven commercial viability)  You can not underestimate the value of both great success and a percieved failure that was Vanguard. He was part of both of them being brought to market. I would rather have someone with both experiences under his belt so both the good parts can be repeated and the bad parts be avoided.  The market after WoW had a much higher demand from its player base.

Now Chris Perkins  is a true blessing.  As an idea man and experience there is honestly few I would put in his league.  His success in writing and being editor of Dragon magazine along with a contributer to WoTC content.  Wow.. Just WOW!!  Can you ask for anything better to flesh out lore or to oversee the creation of lore and land creation then that?  Including his experience as a DM woohooo.  Okay in my dream scenario... it would be Weiss and Hickman only because I am truly partial to dragonlance.  

The entire team is amazing.. What they have done to date is outstanding and way beyond expectations.  Every team needs to have someone to inspire them and to reel them in.  I can not think of anyone better to do that then what we have.  The sincerest encouraging thing about all this is....Their willingness to participate in streams, interviews and release of their gameplay.  I can not think of this much access to the process  ever before.

/e heres to looking forward to classic and lasting memories as eq provided for 12 yrs.  May I never again have the experience of playing games like Rift,Conan, and neverwinter again.

• 2886 posts
    August 29, 2018 1:27 PM PDT

TriteEnvile said:

Now Chris Perkins  is a true blessing.  As an idea man and experience there is honestly few I would put in his league.  His success in writing and being editor of Dragon magazine along with a contributer to WoTC content.  Wow.. Just WOW!!  Can you ask for anything better to flesh out lore or to oversee the creation of lore and land creation then that?  Including his experience as a DM woohooo.

I completely agree that the entire VR team is very talented, especially Chris Perkins. He is an amazingly creative yet down-to-earth guy, and after speaking with him at PAX, I completely believe he's the right guy for the job of Creative Director. HOWEVER, I feel the need to clarify that the Chris Perkins you're referring to is not the same Chris Perkins that is working on Pantheon. As talented and creative as the WotC Chris Perkins also is, he is not employed by VR.

This is the DnD DM: https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD

And THIS is Chris "Joppa" Perkins, Lead Game Designer of Pantheon: https://twitter.com/Joppa_VR

The name bears a lot of talent in both cases :)

• 136 posts
    August 29, 2018 2:59 PM PDT

I actually found out about this game from NerdSlayer and "Death of a Game: Vanguard". I did watch the EQ franchise video as well, I really enjoy his content. I only wish I had seen his videos sooner so I could have found out about this wonderful game sooner. 

• 31 posts
    August 30, 2018 1:39 AM PDT

This is the DnD DM: https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD

And THIS is Chris "Joppa" Perkins, Lead Game Designer of Pantheon: https://twitter.com/Joppa_VR

The name bears a lot of talent in both cases :)

my apologies to the real chris perkins.   The only real one...still amazing though... I think the sincerest amazing thing about him though is how often he participates in so many twitch streams.  Honestly he outnumbers brad in regards to chances he takes to reach out to the community.