Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Two guilds arrive at an overland raid mob...

• 9115 posts
    August 27, 2018 4:00 AM PDT

Community Debate - Two guilds arrive at an overland raid mob, what are the unspoken rules in place as to who gets to go first? What would your guild do? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 156 posts
    August 27, 2018 4:08 AM PDT

/duel

• 1315 posts
    August 27, 2018 4:21 AM PDT

The only rules are the enforceable rules.  Aggressive guilds will take the boss regardless of any unwritten rules which forces the non-aggressive guilds to do the same if they ever want the mob.  So the guild that triggers some form of lockout first gets it.  After all it’s a game about competing for resources right?

This response was a bit tongue in cheek as I hate boss racing random spawn world bosses.  I am more in favor of some form of trigger able boss spawns that require 100+ hours of hunting for a guild to assemble the spawn item.  If the triggering guild fails the doors open to the area for others to try until it is killed then it needs spawned again.  Rarely it could spawn on its own if it hasn’t been triggered in a while.

• 96 posts
    August 27, 2018 4:27 AM PDT

rock, paper, scissors

• 105 posts
    August 27, 2018 5:14 AM PDT

I was never a guild leader or officer, but I remember in EQ when two guilds or more were mobilizing for the same raid encounter there was often a negotiation moment. I'm not 100% certain what was negotiated maybe the drop on the mob or maybe just the next time the guilds clashed, they would yield, not sure, but I like the idea or some sort of negotiation.

This post was edited by geatz at August 27, 2018 5:16 AM PDT
    • 75 posts
    August 27, 2018 5:26 AM PDT

When I played EQ, the guilds capable of doing raid content formed a schedule which determined which nights a guild would do which raids/bosses. In a situation where there was no such agreement ahead of time it's probably too difficult to say what would happen due to variables. Ideally both guilds would work together and random the loot I guess? At least on this first occasion, since it seems noone had "rights" to said enemy. 

• 234 posts
    August 27, 2018 5:52 AM PDT

Typically when two raid forces meet, its first to engage.

Now back in old EQ there was a negotiation or whatever worked out.  Maybe the two raids would coop. Depends. 

In more recents games its been FTE and hope your force is ready.  Then hope other raid doesn't spam skills and pixels at you trying to make you lag out and wipe. 

In the early days of a given MMO the FTE usualy wipes, but as time goes on and experience/gear/levels kick in, the FTE usually wins.

At least thats been my experience. 

• 136 posts
    August 27, 2018 6:35 AM PDT

You let the other group get the raid boss down to half HP then roll in and kill everyone and ninja the boss

• 27 posts
    August 27, 2018 6:46 AM PDT

From what I've seen in the past, it's boils down to a DPS race. I've always seen sneaky gits that would stealth up to the downed boss and ninja loot the corpse when the loot window was closed to allow a fellow guild mate to loot.

• 172 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:01 AM PDT
    Each guild shall choose a champion. Said champions will walk to the center of the battlefield between both guilds. There will be a no rules, fight to the death duel. The Victor may return to his guild and attempt to win the spoils of the raid mob. The loser must stand on the sideline and watch as the winners march by.
    • 259 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:03 AM PDT

Take turns!

• 36 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:15 AM PDT

Its all possible, depends on arriving guilds...

Friendly guilds will talk with each other BEVOR they start to gather for raids. Some guilds dont, and then first comes first serves. Sometimes its competition to get the first hit on the mob.

Seen all this happen in almost every MMO i played. Cant remember which game it was, but there was a server raid calendar where the guilds could sign in the raid on competive Raidtargets. Was a good idea for me, since the preparation and movement to the raid take some time. Its always bad when you have to move 30-40 minutes to a raid to see it locked by another guild 2 min ago. A solution would be a triggered overland mob with some prequest, so its locked to the Char/Raid.

• 198 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:21 AM PDT

The guild with a raid force ready to pull gets first shot.  If both are ready and arrive at the same time, then first to engage.  If they succeed, they get a 4-6 hour lockout at the time the mob respawns, which will banish them to zone line if they are in aggro range.  Respawns should be semi RNG.  Maybe static day respawns timers, but random hours.  This, combined with a lockout timer, should help guilds have equal opportunity across time zones, but still keep some pressure on guilds to mobilize and compete with a relatively short lockout.

This post was edited by Parascol at August 27, 2018 7:30 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:29 AM PDT

(My apologies in advance for the long wall of text.)

I have shared my thoughts on MDD vs FTE before and I think they are related to this discussion:

"An open world game poses certain challenges.  The important distinction for me is that there are several oldschool MMO's that used FTE to solve some of those challenges, particularly FFXI and Vanguard.  I think the concern is less about instancing vs open world and more about preserving encounter challenge (prevent zerging and balancing the risk vs reward of encounters by saying that Mob X is designed to be killed by a single group or raid) and limiting the potential for KS'ing with every worthwhile encounter.  Seeing that Vanguard used FTE, I'm really curious on why VR is straying away from that model.  I have spoken with plenty of people who played Vanguard for a long time and the vast majority of them were really happy with how mob tagging and lockouts were handled in that game.  So just from a design standpoint, I would love to hear why FTE was used in Vanguard, but now we're circling back to MDD which is what was used in EQ.  What caused this shift, specifically?  Here are my thoughts on FTE vs MDD (Most Damage Done):

First To Engage (FTE) Mechanic

Pros:

• Can be leveraged to create a clearly defined "claim" mechanism that allows players to compete with minimal drama.
    • Removes a large degree of potential petitions that require interpretative intervention.
    • Creates an environment where all capable teams are encouraged to show up and compete for contested content.
    • Allows the development team more control as it pertains to creating truly challenging content.
    • Preserves the integrity and challenge of encounter design by preventing zerg-like behavior.
    • Allows players to focus their efforts on tackling challenging content rather than out-performing other players.
    • Allows more group/raid compositions to be viable by alleviating the inflated value of specific classes that are ideal in a DPS Racing environment.
    • Allows players to utilize a larger portion of their kit by removing the "DPS Trumps All" mentality.  #HotbarRealEstate
    • Alleviates the insurmountable power gap that is often associated with the DPS Racing formula.
    • Helps guilds retain their top players by ensuring that their efforts remain relevant.  #CommunityMatters
    • Creates an additional incentive to prioritize the disallowance of automated scripting software.
    • Completely eliminates kill-stealing across every tier of content.  (Not the same thing as leap-frogging.)
    • High likelihood of having an impact on overall retention and profitability.  #OpinionsMightMatter

Cons:

• Requires additional programming, funding, and design considerations.  #ThreeBulletsInOne
    • Can be difficult to implement down the road if above considerations are not factored into the early stages of development.
    • Viewed negatively by players who desire a pseudo-PVP element to be integrated into PVE.
    • Removes an element of player interaction depending on method of implementation and other design considerations.
    • May encourage training due to the nullification of kill-stealing.

Additional Considerations:

• EQ2/FFXI/Vanguard all used FTE to great effect and were renowned for having challenging content.  Beating that content felt extremely validating because it proved that your group/raid was capable of conquering content as it was designed and without outside interference/assistance, which is paramount in a true risk vs reward environment.

• If damage dealt is the only qualifier of mob "ownership" (like EQ), then "kill stealing" is an invalid term, because it inherently implies an alternative means of determining mob ownership, which invalidates damage dealt as a metric.  Holding both positions at once is cognitive dissonance.

• Many players want a fair chance to experience content without being trampled over by others.  A tagging system is fair and does not promote the rich get richer mentality that is painstakingly attached to the DPS Racing model.  In order for this to work, the game needs to be truly challenging which leads to the next bullet.

• The FTE mechanism shouldn't be viewed as a tool that allows people to "first hit something" for "easy credit."  Encounters should be really challenging, and the preparation phase should be vital to your success (which is something that has been emphasized a great deal for Pantheon).  If we get to the point where players are more worried about securing the pull than they are with how they're going to deal with the challenging boss they just engaged, the game isn't hard enough.  Your #1 focus should ALWAYS be based around a clean pull to prevent a mob from promptly destroying your group/raid.  Winning the pull is a secondary consideration that should punish you if you're greedy & pull something while being under prepared.

• DPS Racing reinforces the "it's about the destination rather than the journey" mindset.  Players will be driven to grind to maximum level, with no sleep, and kill everything possible until they beat the game.  You can spend a solid 2-3 weeks focused 100% on getting to end-game and killing every boss while there is no real competition from players who would otherwise take longer to get to that tier of content.  Been there, done that, and to be quite honest, I'm tired of playing the villain.  Once you establish a lead in this race, you can basically coast your way to the finish line (any future contested content) as long as players continue to show up and leverage the power gap that can be achieved by rushing to max level.

• In order to prevent true long-term competition, ultra-hardcore players are encouraged to play in such a way that revolves around the above bullet.  The common policy is to rotate sleeping shifts (4-6 hours) between multiple players.  While one person sleeps, the other person boxes their character (albeit at limited efficiency.)  When that player wakes up, they rotate duties with the other person who was boxing their character.  It allows players to stay logged in, grinding, 24/7.  There is a reason why people are willing to go through these extremes.  It gives such a massive advantage toward the DPS racing model that it becomes nearly impossible for any other guild to compete with them.  (Note that some guilds will do this regardless of what mechanic is adopted in order to secure WW position for various raid kills.  There is no issue with that.  There are major issues, however, with creating a system that rewards this behavior with an ever growing chain reaction of power spikes to those who get there first.  It's a simple formula that can be leveraged to unthinkable benefit, and has been for nearly 20 years.)

• If you want to give people a reason to show up because they at least have a chance to down a distinguished boss, first-tag is the way to go.  I have watched second or third tier guilds beat contested content due to the first-tag system and it's a truly awesome thing.  It made competition feel alive because everybody had a real chance to win.  A lot of people have voiced their concerns on how DPS Racing ultimately feels like "PVP" on a "PVE" server.  Should players be more concerned about the epic dragon they are fighting, or the power of that other raid of "heroes" beside them?  Should the underdogs have a chance or not?  If they do, guilds have a much better chance of retaining their top talent rather than see them being assimilated by the DPS-Racing juggernauts that monopolize the entire competitive landscape of a given server.

• Systems are intrinsically tied to community politics. Without systems, the game wouldn't exist in the first place. Community comes after systems, because the entire fabric of how the community can interact and behave is contingent on how the game itself is configured.  It is of the upmost importance, in my opinion, that the game is not designed in such a way that encourages degenerate behavior.  If the game allows a single player to kite a named boss around for extended periods of time, the game isn't hard enough.  There are plenty of ways to prevent this type of "cheese play" from working, especially with bosses.

As a sidenote, I also want to mention that EQOA, which is tied for my favorite MMO of all time (alongside FFXI) did use the MDD model.  This is important because my two favorite games both used different models for kill credit, and were both open-world games.  So at the end of the day, I am not writing MDD off.  But one memory I have with EQOA is that my guild always got kill credit on contested encounters whereas with FFXI competition felt more legitimate.  Any time multiple guilds were DPS Racing against a raid boss in EQOA, it was almost inevitable that the mob would die because the encounters simply weren't designed to be killed by an unknown amount of people.  As a hardcore raider, I think MDD will create a more favorable competitive landscape for my playstyle.  I never saw an underdog story with MDD.  You either rolled with the best guild or you lost every race ... and that is the crux of the issue.

If we're going MDD ... so be it!  But that model basically encourages competition ... kill credit is defined as "most damage done" not "who got there first."  I think it's important to accept that, and own it.  If there are going to be rules in place to prevent kill-stealing, that is also something that needs to be clearly defined.  If it's open to interpretation, it will create an enormous burden for the CS team.  Looking at Gnashurra in Halnir Cave ... there is a door locking mechanic.  What is the purpose of that?  To prevent competition, or overwhelming the mob (aka balancing risk vs reward of an encounter that is designed for a single group)?  Will multiple groups be able to enter that room or will the room have a cap on how many players can be inside at any given point in time?  Is there a solid commitment from VR to leverage ghosting in Pantheon, as was the case in Vanguard?  I have seen it referenced quite a bit as a potential solution to some of the challenges of "too much competition" but Vanguard used FTE rather than MDD.  If ghosting is going to be used, how will the system be evolved to accommodate for an MDD model that poses new variables that didn't need to be considered in Vanguard?"

It all boils down to what kind of competition VR desires.  If they want raid forces to take turns then we should be using hard-coded FTE.  If they want to encourage DPS-Racing then we should leave things exactly how they are.  If they want unspoken rules to play a significant role in how people conduct themselves while vying for hotly contested resources, expect the worst.  I expect other players to try and pull bosses onto the back line of their competition to kill them with AoE or frontal/barrage attacks.  I expect players to mem-wipe at the worst possible time, to fear adds, break mezz, corpse-hump, teabag, emote/trade spam, so on and so forth.  I would add intentional training to this list but since it's been identified as something that players can be suspended for it's fair to assume that it won't be a common practice.  There will be plenty of people recording their sessions when Pantheon goes live so I think we'll see some solid recourse for those who are getting intentionally trained.  In a nutshell ... everything is fair game unless it's strictly forbidden and considered a reportable offense.

This post was edited by oneADseven at August 27, 2018 7:54 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:30 AM PDT

Said this on twitter, but will expand on it here.

All else being equal, it's going to depend on the other guild's reputation.  If they have a bad reputation, we will totally try to beat them to the punch.  If they have a good or neutral reputation, especially if we know them, we'll probably take the high road and let them go first.  Obviously that depends on all else being equal, which would be rare.  But guild reputation matters.

That said, I really hope that instances of pure competition like this are super rare.  There is absolutely NOTHING worse as a raid leader than having to tell 30 of your friends that sorry, we don't get to raid tonight because everyone else beat us to all the mobs.  Pulling together a raid force of "normal" players is HARD.  Most guilds only get one or two times a week they can even try - and even then, time windows are limited.  You have to wait for your tank to get his kids to bed but you can't run too late because your enchanter has to get up at 5 am to leave for work.  And gods forbid if the cleric's in-laws decide to come visit, you won't see him for 3 weeks if that happens.

I get that competition over raid bosses is exciting for some people but the vast majority of us adults can't easily coordinate our schedules.  And no, we don't want the alternative of a "raid finder" that groups us up with a bunch of randoms either.

So, stuff needs to be on triggers.  Let us spawn the raid encounter or enter the raid zone when we're assembled and ready to take it on.  The challenge of beating the encounter should be beating the encounter, not hoping the five other guilds doing it all happened to miss the spawn or take the night off for some reason.

I'm ok with a mixed bag approach where some very rare/special overland encounters are contested, random spawns, because that adds unpredictability to the world.  But the bulk of raid content needs to be something that guilds can schedule for, however that is accomplished.

• 1120 posts
    August 27, 2018 8:33 AM PDT

Step 1: Set up your groups to maximize dps.

Step 2: Pretend to run atthe mob causing group 2 to also run in

Step 3: Let them tank while all of your tanks and healers dps.

Step 4: Profit.

• 646 posts
    August 27, 2018 8:34 AM PDT

Would be great if both guilds could team up. :s

• 166 posts
    August 27, 2018 9:49 AM PDT

The answer to this question depends on a lot of things and there is no 100% true answer to this.

First of all it depend on the mechanics VR takes in place.
    Instances (I know they won't be a thing) would solve this problem completely. 
    Is the other Group completely out of the fight or can they interfer?
    Is the loot shared between all people fighting the boss or is only the group first attempting the boss allowed to loot?

On an RP server you may really see a duel like some of you stated.

On an PvP serer it could be a mixture of attacking the boss and killing people of the other guild.

If the guilds are friends to each other they maybe find a solution in a dialog.
    If one of the guilds is not that friendly, then this guild might steal the boss.

• 188 posts
    August 27, 2018 9:56 AM PDT
    Definitely a dance off. With Kilsin as the judge.
    • 1860 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:04 AM PDT

This doesn't seem like a valid question.  We know the answer is: most damage done gets the kill.

Sure there are other variables...but regardless it seems like ^ above is all that really matters in the end.

This post was edited by philo at August 27, 2018 10:08 AM PDT
    • 287 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:26 AM PDT

Porygon said:

Step 1: Set up your groups to maximize dps.

Step 2: Pretend to run atthe mob causing group 2 to also run in

Step 3: Let them tank while all of your tanks and healers dps.

Step 4: Profit.

That only works if threat is locked on first engagement. In every game I've played, EQ included, threat went to the tank doing the best job of taunting or the dps who dumped damage on the mob and out-threated the tank. Your suggestion would require a careful balance of dps'ing enough to "win" the loot but without out-threating the tank, all while ensuring your raid is doing more damage than the other.

I've been in exactly this situation before in EQ.  Negotiations failed between raid leaders and both raids attacked the boss. Ours dumped dps on the boss, frequently took aggro and we still lost the dps race to win the loot.  All in all it was a couple hours none of us will ever get back and we'll never know how close we were to winning that fight.

• 287 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:29 AM PDT

philo said:

This doesn't seem like a valid question.  We know the answer is: most damage done gets the kill.

Sure there are other variables...but regardless it seems like ^ above is all that really matters in the end.

EQ2 would prevent you from attacking a mob that was aggro'ed on someone else not in your group or raid.  This meant there was never a situation where two raids were fighting the same boss at the same time and also that you couldn't help your lower level friend escape a bad encounter. 

It was a terrible mechanic, added to the game for the right reasons but with very negative side effects, including the ridiculous immersion breakage of not being allowed to attack a mob running through the forest with nobody else in sight.

• 2138 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:32 AM PDT

To me, the deciding factor will be how AND IF a lock-out is part of the Game mechanic. The lock-out being the mechanic that was succesfull in vanguard iirc.

FTE and fail - Lockout enganged? if so when does the lock-out take effect? is there a time limit between when FTE is done and when lock-out is enabled and is there a percentage minimum of players in area group/raid to be considered for FTE? (this would prevent tagging and if the force doesnt show up in time, all are locked-out)  if FTE and fail the guild will not be ableto re-engage but the other guild may, and if they win get the loots.

MMD and fail - If two engage and one does more damage, and the monster dies- do both guilds get locked-out? This would also depend on Monster re-spawn timing. if Guild A engages and does not do MMD, they fail and are locked out. if both engage and monster dies- both guilds get locked out? with the one doing MMD "winning" the encounter and getting the loots.   

Personally I would prefer FTE and lockout mechanic with specifically raid targets not being attackable by guild B untill the event re-sets.

Which would be different from other , regular overland monsters. See a named at 50pct health and no one in the zone? ho-ho-HO!  maybe the 20's group of 6 can take down Fion! she's half dead already! wait, look at all those corpses, hmm, maybe we should send a tell and ask what's going on, but if we beat her and scoot, she will reset an no one will know. Otherwise if we are staying to head to ramparts we can say she was gone when we got hwere, if they come back for rezzes n stuff.

• 409 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

First to engage. Simple. 

If they can handle it, they got there first and got the job done. Loot, profit, win.

If they can't handle it, stand back, watch them wipe, engage boss while standing on their corpses. Loot, profit, /corpsehump competing guild's corpses, win.

Nothing very complicated about the contested spawn. 

• 198 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:54 AM PDT

Akilae said:

philo said:

EQ2 would prevent you from attacking a mob that was aggro'ed on someone else not in your group or raid.  This meant there was never a situation where two raids were fighting the same boss at the same time and also that you couldn't help your lower level friend escape a bad encounter. 

It was a terrible mechanic, added to the game for the right reasons but with very negative side effects, including the ridiculous immersion breakage of not being allowed to attack a mob running through the forest with nobody else in sight.

This is interesting.  Seems like rather than prevent damage, you just get removed from the loot table if you are not the first to engage, or maybe even banished from the area.

So guild A is first to do damage, but guild B could still dps, but with no reward.  OR when they attack 2nd, they are added to threat list temporarily and banished away from the area, which clears them from the threat list.  There could also be some sort of visual cue, like a debuff that alerts the guild that they were not first to engage.  I kind of like the banish idea the most, because it helps prevent zerg tactics, and it also assists in keeping performance reasonable by reducing player count in that area.

If guild A wipes, the threat list is cleared and all these mechanics reset, allowing guid b to come in and have their attempt, assuming they are staged nearby outside of aggro radius.  These are the types of mechanics I wish to see, in adition to lockouts.  Guilds will still compete, but with some limitations so they aren't just steamrolling each other, or feeling compelled to play 24/7 to stay ahead of the pack.

This post was edited by Parascol at August 27, 2018 11:00 AM PDT