Forums » Pantheon Races

Couple questions on Races

• 16 posts
    August 26, 2018 7:07 AM PDT

Hello everyone. A couple of questions (or requests for clarification) on the races. I did read a bunch, and maybe I misunderstood, but I seemed to find what appeared to me as inconsistencies.

I read a post by Kilsin that VR is not planning on a faction v. faction setup (like WoW, i know there will be factions among npc groups), and specifically that you could have groups and guilds with all the races allowed. 

I've also read in various posts that some in the community are sort of viewing some races as good and some as evil, and some of the lore I've read seems to bear this out. Has this distinction been made "officially" by VR?  If so, which races belong to which alignment? The lore I've read makes the Skar seem to lean toward the evil side of things, and Ogres have been as well in previous games, but the write up of the Ogre race seems, to me at least, that there is some wiggle room with regard to such disposition.

As a follow-up, I thought I heard in one of the streams that city factions will exist and that some races may be KOS in some cities, at least until they've done some faction work to alleviate that condition. If I understood that correctly, will there be a way to faction grind enough that you could not only be not-KOS but you could even use class trainers (or other similar systems) in a city of opposite alignment? I'm mainly asking with regard to leveling, considering the vast distances (and dangers) associated with travel back to your racial starting city.

Lastly, regarding racial traits, has there been any further development/release of information?  

I'm curious if anyone else would like to see a deeper level of racial traits / customization options?   For example, I would love to see each race offer like 9? different racial traits, of which everyone in that race gets 1-3? and then at certain points as you level you can choose one of the other options, such that not every (insert race here) is exactly the same as every other (race)?   Thoughts?   Numbers are just for the example, and obviously if the work has already been done, I'm not suggesting starting over, just conversation fodder.

Thanks

Dakoda Farstrider

• 1479 posts
    August 26, 2018 7:26 AM PDT

Ogres are by nature, drivent by war and conquest. They conquered reignfall with their internal conflits only damped down by an undisputable ruler. With him gone, their empire fell into disorder and useless conflits that ended their reign.

To me they sound evil, with a cultural goal of reigning by strength over the others.

• 2886 posts
    August 26, 2018 11:42 AM PDT

Yes, it's important to remember that faction is fairly fluid. It's not strictly binary, such as "all Elves hate all Dark Myr." It's a more complex web that can be affected by individual actions. So yes, you'll be able to improve or decrease your standing with certain factions by doing quests, killing mobs, etc. Usually, increasing your faction with one faction will simultaneously decrease it with another. Or one decision may affect your standing with multiple factions at once. I think it's best to not label each race as "good" or "evil" because it's more dynamic than that. Each race is its own individual entity with unique beliefs and values. But as a general rule of thumb, the races and alignments are divided by continent:

Reignfall (Evil): Dark Myr, Ogre, Skar

Whitethaw (Neutral): Archai, Dwarf, Gnome

Kingsreach (Good): Human, Elf, Halfling

There haven't been any official reveals about racial stats/abilities, but I know this is something a lot of people want to see, and now that the class reveals are complete, I'd expect race reveals to follow before too long.

• 16 posts
    August 26, 2018 3:14 PM PDT

Thanks for the replies.  While I tend to disagree with blanket racial alignments, as long as we can adjust our factions suitably high enough I suppose it doesn't matter, just more to work toward. I look forward to seeing what VR comes up with regarding the racial abilities.

The Race/Class combos already surprised me with a few classes not even being available on an entire continent or two (DL, PAL, and RNG) and the gnomes having no tanks or healers. Though, I suppose if you have six gnome caster types all timing their nukes at the same time they could probably do alright without a tank or healer.  :)

It's a new world and I'm excited and intrigued by what awaits us all. 

• 947 posts
    September 14, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

I’d like to add that within each race there will “likely” be factions that differ depending on class too. I’d expect classes like necromancers or dire lords won’t be welcomed in the paladin guild with open arms just because they are human, and it will likely be nearly impossible to raise some of those factions without ruining one that you need. Like you, I am not a fan of the racist job allocations but it makes for a more challenging game and should be fun regardless.

This post was edited by Darch at September 14, 2018 8:53 AM PDT
    • 36 posts
    September 20, 2018 1:03 PM PDT

Was hoping that we might see Half Giants appear here as they did in Saga of Heroes, but I guess there isnt much chance now we have the Ogre :( I would of prefered the haflings to look like they did in that game too. The ones on here look to fluffy :(