Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

What made EQ feel alive?

• August 16, 2018 6:21 PM PDT

From Korflunk in Butcherblock to Fippy Darkpaw in Qeynos, I remember how Everquest was full of these little scripted NPCs as well as other fun easter eggs (Aradune Is Stinky) that served to add a little "life" to an otherwise artificial world.  I feel this type of content is critical, especially for lower level players because it offers a sense of legitimacy to the world and a reason to continue playing their character.  Sooner or later most of us get obsessed with leveling and stuff such as this doesn't really matter, but I feel it's still a critical part of the game.  I'm *REALLY* hoping the Pantheon team dedicates time to populating the Terminus with these types of NPCs to both entertain and harass players at early levels, and better introduce them to the world.

With that in mind, what NPCs were your favorites?!  Being a fan of leveling in Butcherblock, my favorites were Korflunk and Zarchoomi and hearing the calls to the zone that they were on the move.

• 438 posts
    August 17, 2018 7:27 AM PDT
    Yea man I hope so too. Added just another level of fun. Fippy was my favorite. Had a lot of run ins haha. Didn’t end well for me at first. But I had a score to settle and would at least once a week ever since
    • 999 posts
    August 17, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

Funny enough, most of all the Undead Zones for me felt the most alive.  Really just my favorites.  Unrest, Mistmoore, Gukbottom (dead side), etc.

As far as NPCs go... Minotaur Hero was probably my first great fear, but, really any memorable "Named" mob, or any mob that terrorized zones - griffins, sand giants, etc.

• 66 posts
    August 17, 2018 11:14 AM PDT

A few months back they mentioned Chris (I think it was him) kept screwing around with stuff like messages on walls in the bowels of BRK (IIRC). They mentioned it specifically as messages to the other devs they'd have to take out. But it sounds like they're having fun while working their bums off (it was also mentioned that Chris was basically living down there at the time), so I'm sure some of that stuff will hang around.

@Raidan, I was just tussling with Minotaur Hero the other day. My main came and melted his face after he jumped my baby gnome twice. I certainly won't forget him.

• 129 posts
    August 18, 2018 1:28 PM PDT

What made EQ feel alive ?

The combination of :

-Death penalties. In everquest, you cared for your life. You wanted to avoid death, as it was very punishing.

-Danger everywhere. Lvl 35 Griffin roaming in East Commonlands, a lvl 5-15 zone ; Lvl 35+ Spectres and Sang Giants in Oasis, a lvl 12-20 zone, etc...

Thanks to the immersion in the game, it was thrilling because danger existed everywhere.

Even in "safe camp spots" you could get trained, willingly or accidentally.

Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, things could go south pretty fast. What is coming with the next pull ? You never knew, it was terrifying and exciting.

World of Warcraft was way too colorful and joyful, zero danger, meaningless death penalty,... zero immersion, people stopped caring for their character and instead only cared for their next free loots/stats/power.