Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Should I try to ignore Pantheon for a while?

• 85 posts
    August 13, 2018 1:57 PM PDT
    It has been easier for me to just forget about the game for a while. Then when new info drops I come back, I get all excited about the progress that has been made, I obsess for a few days bothering people on the forums, then I go back to trying to forget for a while.

Alpha will come. See you there.
    • 137 posts
    August 13, 2018 2:48 PM PDT
    Join a bowling league
    • 1785 posts
    August 13, 2018 7:07 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

That's the danger of setting any expectations. I have actually personally found that the more involved I am with the community, the easier it is to wait. That's why I spend so much time on the forums, Twitch, YouTube, etc. It gives me something to do rather than just sitting helplessly and watching and waiting. Also, the more I learn about how Pantheon is being developed, the more it all makes sense and the less I worry. But everybody is different. I've seen several people take a break and come back. If that would be easier for you, then that's what you should do.

I think Baz said it best.  I mean I would absolutely love it if alpha was starting in October and we had a release date plotted out... but, at the same time, I want it to be really polished and complete when it does ship.  I've done so many MMOs at launch that weren't.  Including some I really would have liked a lot better if they had been.  So, I try to force myself to remain patient, and in the meantime, I enjoy interacting with everyone in the community as well :)

• 134 posts
    August 13, 2018 8:51 PM PDT

I have too much other stuff I'm playing.

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and moving on to Assassin's Creed Origins, then on to Spiderman PS4, to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, to Super Mario Party/Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Red Dead Redemption 2 to Fallout 76 to Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

I keep busy. :P Also playing Overwatch here and there!

• 257 posts
    August 13, 2018 9:26 PM PDT

Change your perspective. For the next fewish months you can work all the overtime you want, which will help you feel less guilty when alpha hits ;)

• 7 posts
    August 14, 2018 5:51 AM PDT

I wouldn't mind a daily screenshot to feed my apatite... Checking the website daily but it would be great to see some new images every now and again.. or even a part of a screenshot leaving us guessing what it might be.. once guessed it  could be revealed for all to see.

• 363 posts
    August 14, 2018 8:45 AM PDT

Kurg said:

I wouldn't mind a daily screenshot to feed my apatite... Checking the website daily but it would be great to see some new images every now and again.. or even a part of a screenshot leaving us guessing what it might be.. once guessed it  could be revealed for all to see.

They do have new images in each month in the news letter, but I hear you. Teasers are nice.

• 187 posts
    August 14, 2018 9:08 AM PDT
    The game is in Pre Alpha. I'm hoping it releases within 2 years. But it might be longer... and I still check the forums at least once a day. Patheon started development in 2014?? Take a look at Vanguard... it started development around 2002 and was released in 2007, but shouldn't have. It needed another year or so.

If only Chris, Justin, Brad, and the rest of the team could clone themselves :-) they are making a great game and are extremely passionate about it. I love it! I can't wait to see the result. Keep up the hard work!
    • 2756 posts
    August 14, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

Kastor said: The game is in Pre Alpha. I'm hoping it releases within 2 years. But it might be longer... and I still check the forums at least once a day. Patheon started development in 2014?? Take a look at Vanguard... it started development around 2002 and was released in 2007, but shouldn't have. It needed another year or so. If only Chris, Justin, Brad, and the rest of the team could clone themselves :-) they are making a great game and are extremely passionate about it. I love it! I can't wait to see the result. Keep up the hard work!

There was a team listing somewhere the other day and some of them were listed under multiple roles... I think they've got the cloning thing solved.  Developing Pantheon is harder, though ;^)

• 77 posts
    August 14, 2018 4:26 PM PDT

It was mentioned in the newsletter that PA4 will start in fall and during this time most of the basic systems such as combat will be in place. This will allow them to focus on world building, which means that the world will come together faster. I think that's exciting, we will see more of the world in the coming newsletters!

To pass the time as an alpha pledger I'm playing Borderlands 2 and watching MMO themed anime. But as others have said you can focus on work or whatever.

Also I sometimes like to go to the Pantheon Facebook page and look through the image gallery from it's earliest pictures till now. It's quite amazing the amount of work and progress that's been made and It may help your friends realise how far VR have come thus far.

• 151 posts
    August 15, 2018 10:42 PM PDT
    A month ago I finally resorted to loading up and doing p99. Now I wished I had years ago and only keeping an eye on pantheons progress.
    • 844 posts
    August 17, 2018 12:40 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Kastor said: The game is in Pre Alpha. I'm hoping it releases within 2 years. But it might be longer... and I still check the forums at least once a day. Patheon started development in 2014?? Take a look at Vanguard... it started development around 2002 and was released in 2007, but shouldn't have. It needed another year or so. If only Chris, Justin, Brad, and the rest of the team could clone themselves :-) they are making a great game and are extremely passionate about it. I love it! I can't wait to see the result. Keep up the hard work!

There was a team listing somewhere the other day and some of them were listed under multiple roles... I think they've got the cloning thing solved.  Developing Pantheon is harder, though ;^)

Harder? Why would you say that?

Nothing we have seen demonstrates that.

All todays tech and software tools have greatly advanced from what was being used 10+ years ago. Studios have greatly reduced costs and versatility with current cloud engineering. Databases are vastly more powerful and much much faster. And NoSQL was not even a thing 10 years ago. Use of fast memory storage (memcachd, etc.) in place of fixed storage has also greatly changed how games can be designed. Game engines are much, much more powerful and versatile. Graphics tools have kept pace allowing designers to do more with less, faster. Reskinning and modeling, greatly improved. Networking tools - improved. Bandwidths, hugely improved. Coding languages are smarter, faster. IDE's are much more useful. Software building tools, versioning. All smarter, faster.

Nothing is harder. It is faster and easier to do more with less.

What IS different, is you have maybe 20ish people doing the core building. Not 200.

• 198 posts
    August 17, 2018 1:02 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

What IS different, is you have maybe 20ish people doing the core building. Not 200.

So we should expect 5 year development, or?  Is the technology so good that 20 developers would be able to outpace yesterday's 200, or would 200 developers be able to create a game in record time using today's tech?

• 2756 posts
    August 17, 2018 3:54 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

disposalist said:

All todays tech and software tools have greatly advanced from what was being used 10+ years ago. Studios have greatly reduced costs and versatility with current cloud engineering. Databases are vastly more powerful and much much faster. And NoSQL was not even a thing 10 years ago. Use of fast memory storage (memcachd, etc.) in place of fixed storage has also greatly changed how games can be designed. Game engines are much, much more powerful and versatile. Graphics tools have kept pace allowing designers to do more with less, faster. Reskinning and modeling, greatly improved. Networking tools - improved. Bandwidths, hugely improved. Coding languages are smarter, faster. IDE's are much more useful. Software building tools, versioning. All smarter, faster.

Did the winky not give away I was joking?  Especially since I was implying making Pantheon was harder than cloning humans?  Hehe

I think a very hard thing about making Pantheon is marketing something old-school, yet modern and then sticking to your vision and your niche audience - you can't throw more staff at that problem really.

• 1584 posts
    August 17, 2018 9:04 PM PDT

Yeah I check in from time to time, take 3 4 month breaks for sure, it not cuase of information or what some people call slow progress, I take breaks simply becuase I want to play the alpha, and I want to give them feedback on things they want to know, and until I get to play alpha and do that most of the ideas, feedback, certain mechanics they have in place for the game I can't give them reliable feedback on them simply becuase I don't know how they have them implemented, now have I gone on threads and listed my opinion of course I have  and I say them knowing I have no idea how they have it worked out or why they choose to do it that way until I see it in game and see how it feels afterwards.

• 844 posts
    August 18, 2018 3:31 PM PDT

disposalist said:

zewtastic said:

disposalist said:

Did the winky not give away I was joking?  Especially since I was implying making Pantheon was harder than cloning humans?  Hehe

I think a very hard thing about making Pantheon is marketing something old-school, yet modern and then sticking to your vision and your niche audience - you can't throw more staff at that problem really.

Ahh I see. your humor is much too subtle for me it seems, totally missed that.

• 287 posts
    August 19, 2018 8:34 PM PDT
    I have been passing time trying to complete some EQ 1 epic quests I never got a chance to back when I played it in it's peak. Finished the mage.....oh quillmane was a pain.