Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Should I try to ignore Pantheon for a while?

• 107 posts
    August 12, 2018 4:34 PM PDT

I'm not saying this in a negative way but I feel like I'm a bit too anxious for this game. I'm in the Alpha and I seriously thought I would be able to test it by now which I realise is a rough version but would still make me feel much better. For some reason I had thought the "full year of testing" was pre-alpha all of the way to launch. Yeah I don't know why I thought that.

Anyway my question is does anyone else find it a little torturesome to watch streams and vids because you just want to play it? Do most of you try to forget about it for a long time and check back ever 3-4 months or are you a little like me foolishly checking back too often? I don't want to start a different MMO because I dont want a different MMO but they are my favorite game type to play. Any thoughts?

• 207 posts
    August 12, 2018 4:41 PM PDT

I usually go on hiatus for a few months at a time. The latest newsletter gives an actual time frame for when alpha is expected(2019) but that doesn't really kill it for me because there are quite a few games dropping this year I'm very interested in. I just appreciate that the Dev's are open with us about what is going on and glad they want to release a polished game. In the days of flashy gimicks and instant gratification mmo's, Pantheon needs to be extremely polished to stand a fighting chance. 

• 1019 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:11 PM PDT

I'd suggest trying to take a few months off.  Dive back in, get your fill, get over excited, get angry it's not out yet, and then leave again.  Rinse and repeat as needed until actual game releases.  It's probably the best way.  As long as while in your anger state you don't do anything too bad. 

• 557 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:20 PM PDT

I think a lot of people tune in and out.  There are definitely slow news cycles were the only announcements are about community sites or whatever.   Zone back into the conversation when there's new info.

Stay positive.  Things may not be moving at the speed some of us would like, but this juggernaut is building steam.

• 1860 posts
    August 12, 2018 6:04 PM PDT

As much as I try to stay positive, I have to admit that the timeframe being pushed back repeatedly does make me less enthusiastic.  My friends that don't really follow the game, but keep asking me when it will come out every few months, ask me questions about why the dates keep changing and I don't have a good answer.  I just keep saying it's not ready, its going to be awhile.

This post was edited by philo at August 12, 2018 6:14 PM PDT
    • 557 posts
    August 12, 2018 6:23 PM PDT

This is why the devs have been very careful not to give dates for any phase or even hint on a window for release.

Huge projects, especially software, invariably take much longer to build than any project manager estimates.

Take heart in the progress you've seen to date and stop watching the calendar.   Go knit yourself a sweater, teach your dog how to use the BBQ or find something worthy to fill your days in the mean time.

• 6 posts
    August 12, 2018 6:31 PM PDT

Maybe to quell the unrest of the mob last prealpha phase they will let in alpha people for a week or something.

• 363 posts
    August 12, 2018 7:18 PM PDT

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I'm a champion pledge and want the alpha here as much as anyone, but I can certainly wait. As BenD mentioned in the last stream, they have pushed alpha back and now it looks like it won't be happening until next year. My guess is late February or March the way things sound, but thats my gut feeling without any facts to back it up. If we're lucky it'll be earlier.

Until then play something to take your mind off of this game. I'm playing EQ in between, Quake Champions, ESO and State of Decay 2.

• 1281 posts
    August 12, 2018 7:23 PM PDT

Considering months can go buy without any new information, if you went every 3-4 months between checking at least every time you came back there would be new info.

I mean it's game development for you. They may spend a lot of time coding tools or something that you never see but still take a lot of time.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at August 12, 2018 7:23 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    August 12, 2018 7:44 PM PDT

Grimix said:...  The latest newsletter gives an actual time frame for when alpha is expected(2019) ...

Interesting, given just a few months ago (at Pax) they said the alpha target was before the end of 2018.  That's unfortunate, given such a small amount of time has passed, that the target date has moved so considerably. :|

• 249 posts
    August 12, 2018 8:17 PM PDT
    Newsletter explains why the date shifted pretty well. I'm starting to second guess whether I want to play alpha/beta. I kind of want to explore the world for the first time after everything is fleshed out. I check in for the newsletter every month and see what's new
    • 107 posts
    August 12, 2018 8:26 PM PDT
    I suppose I need to just try to ignore it and check back in November or something.
    • 129 posts
    August 12, 2018 10:00 PM PDT

dont expect alpha before january/feburary, or you have high chances to get disappointed.

• 166 posts
    August 12, 2018 10:16 PM PDT
    Don’t expect the alpha for January or February. Before the newsletter it was end of the year, which includes December.

They won’t announce the push back that early, if it would only be one month. At this stage they would still hope to be able to overcome an one month push back, so the announcement now means a delay of more month.

And of course there can always happen new things that slow down the development. I now don’t expect the alpha to happen before mid of 2019.
    • 801 posts
    August 12, 2018 11:12 PM PDT

Its best not to get hyped up. These projects are big 5 yr development can be fast actually with a large team. Lots will be added after pre alpha, into the alpha and beta.

• 1479 posts
    August 13, 2018 1:41 AM PDT

I'm fine not to overhype until I get my hands on the game. Let's keep it at reasonable levels of hype until then...

• 2756 posts
    August 13, 2018 2:52 AM PDT

In the past I have found it difficult, but Pantheon is different as I have real hope (is there such a thing as 'real hope'? Well, there is now...) that it will be something I can really enjoy.  Getting involved and pledging has made it so I can enjoy the development and not just sit chewing my nails.

MMORPGs are my first true love in gaming, but I also have a thing for Battlefield.  My strong advice is to find 'a bit on the side' while waiting for your true love.  There are lots of distracting nubile games out there.  Enjoy them!

I even started a Battlefield YouTube channel.  Don't tell my BF friends, but it was just so I'd be ready to stream and make content for Pantheon!

This post was edited by disposalist at August 13, 2018 2:53 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    August 13, 2018 4:52 AM PDT

If it's only alpha you are waiting for then yes, take 6-8 months off.

The newsletter clearly stated they do not want to start alpha until they have a (mostly) full continent of content. That ain't happening in a few months. And forget Dec. Game studios downtime during decembers are legendary.

here's the quote:

yada, yada yada

" it’s time for Alpha, which will be a (mostly) content-complete continent. Earlier this year we aimed to have Alpha available by year’s end but we’ve restructured our approach since then, so don’t expect Alpha this year."

Alpha, which will be a (mostly) content-complete continent.

• 2886 posts
    August 13, 2018 5:11 AM PDT

That's the danger of setting any expectations. I have actually personally found that the more involved I am with the community, the easier it is to wait. That's why I spend so much time on the forums, Twitch, YouTube, etc. It gives me something to do rather than just sitting helplessly and watching and waiting. Also, the more I learn about how Pantheon is being developed, the more it all makes sense and the less I worry. But everybody is different. I've seen several people take a break and come back. If that would be easier for you, then that's what you should do.

• 3852 posts
    August 13, 2018 7:53 AM PDT

I tend to agree with the OP's feelings. Pre-alpha is taking enormously more time than I expected - not that I begrudge those that pledged earlier or in greater amounts the benefits therefrom. Had I any idea I would have upgraded.

Nor is this in any sense a criticism - I can feel disappointment at not getting to alpha sooner without wanting VR to move faster than makes sense.

My approach is not to stop looking at these forums - my approach is to remain active, use the time to make comments one ten millionth of which may actually have some effect on the decison-makers, and tell myself that years of activity here provides more than enough diversion to make the pledge a very good use of the money without needing to also play or test the game.

• 429 posts
    August 13, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

I read the forums , watch new streams ... YADDA yadda . enjoy life , play some games . worry not .. Soon I tell  ya ,  soon :):):) 

This post was edited by Shea at August 13, 2018 8:18 AM PDT
    • 15 posts
    August 13, 2018 9:09 AM PDT
    This is what I do. I come back every couple months and get hyped and catch up on all the news.
    • 38 posts
    August 13, 2018 9:42 AM PDT
    I too a big break from forums a year or more and got read up this past few months now im back to the lull state. Ill be in an out from time to time. Hoping itll go quick for alpha to come out
    • 1315 posts
    August 13, 2018 10:03 AM PDT

I am guilty of using these boards to brainstorm and externally process some of my own ideas.  It helps me discover what I actually like and hey if VR decides they like one of my publicly disclosed ideas then the game I want to play already becomes one step closer to my ideal game.

At this point I have almost 100 pages of design concepts for a stepwise logarithmic power growth, skill tree based, zone lineless planet sized game world, with player driven item economy and civilization growth.  The setting is a 1000+ years after an apocalyptic event and has a fairly strong wuxia influence on a wester fantasy.

I am most likely just going to use it as my tabletop RPG setting as that is where some of the original lore ideas came from anyway.

This post was edited by Trasak at August 13, 2018 10:04 AM PDT
    • 768 posts
    August 13, 2018 1:10 PM PDT

I'ld stay in contact with the forums each month at least. But just browse the threads on various topics every so often. It's all connected to the game, so by one way or another you'll have to know certain things when playing this game. Things that might be discussed in these threads.

A good thing is to plant your feet well on the ground. A game is not developed over night and delays are just one of those things that come with game development. It's not something that rarely happens, it's just another thing that happens. So it's not a disaster, it's something to be expected. And like many stated before: it's a good thing they take it serious enough to aim for that better quality. So many games have stranded at launch or soon after due to rushing to launch. From the moment you realise that this development thing will take months perhaps years, from that moment you can sit a bit more relaxed in your chair. And check forums and streams, keep yourself occupied with other games or stuff outside gaming if that brings it too close to this game for you. 

Just imagine yourself sitting on a train. You can't rush it, you're on the train already so no point wanting to get out before the train has halted at it's destination. And definately no point of aggrivating yourself over the fact that you can't make that train go any faster. Open up a book and put on your walkmen and wait it out.